Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Opteron workstation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/18/2005 11:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/18/2005 11:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zeratull

Hello.
I'm trying to build an Opteron workstation from scratch. I ordered a Tyan S2875ANRF motherboard, two AMD Opteron 242 BOX proc., 2 memory modules from Corsair (CORSAIR CM72SD512RLP-3200 ECC 512 MB DDR SDRAM 400
MHz). I already bought a Enermax psu (EG485AX-VHB(W)SFMA .... http://www.enermax.com.tw/prod...e.ph...&Gid=18&Gid2=45' ">http://www.enermax.com.tw/prod...gon=262&Gid=18&Gid2=45 ... the 600w version), a Seagate hdd <SATA 160gb> and a Gecube Radeon X800 PRO video board. I will buy 4 or 5 Antec case fans (120mm) and a noname case. (I want to make some holes on the sidepannel of the case and put about 2 fans there for cooling). I will use this workstation for rendering, but also as a regular PC (games/movies etc.). I know i should've asked arround before buying and ordering stuff, but .....

My question is: Do any of you see any incompatibilities in the above configuration? Any reason a workstation in that configuration won't work? (i've read here about tyan motherboards frying psu's and i'm a little scared....).

Thank you for your time.

<spelling mistakes edit's>
 08/19/2005 09:20 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

X800Pro: Redclawkefar and I use X800Pros on our S2885 mainboards: They work perfect in combination with the chipset. I don't see any reason why this should be different with the S2875 - it has the same AGP bridge.

The memory is registered. That's the important detail you have to look for when buying memory for an Opteron system. ECC is just optinal - registered is required! The memory is really good. Good choice.

Don't drill too much holes in your case. If you have one 120mm fan at the back it may already be enough. Check some cases. Maybe you will have one 120mm intake and one 120mm exhause fan - than you don't need to add two additional 120mm fans.
The exhaust fan is much more important than the intake. So if you won't be able to add another fan as intake drill your holes and use a second, as you already mentioned, as exhaust fan. More fans = more noise. So check with two fans at first and decide yourself if you have to do all that work for additional fans that maybe obsolete.

I don't see any compatibility problems right now. The PSU will be more than powerfull enough for your system and you will be able to upgrade a lot of stuff without problems.

Please report back when you recieved your systems!

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

08/22/2005 09:09 AM

Author Icon
Zeratull

Thank's derGhostrider. It will take a while for the mainboard to get here... another 2 weeks i think ... The processors will come one week sooner ... and i really hope they won't be some old stepping cpu's <i did not have the possibility of asking for a particular stepping at the dealer, and it was the only dealer with Opterons, in my country... >. I'll get back here with news, once i'll put together that workstation. B'bye for now.
 09/25/2005 04:59 PM

Author Icon
Zeratull

... and it's september 25'th and i still don't have neither the proc's nor the mainboard...
Two weeks after i paid 50% of the value of the proc's, the store noticed me that they can't bring that model (Opteron 242). They said that AMD is in the process of stoping production on that model, so they couldn't find that product. (obviously a lie). So i had to ask a friend... that has a friend in US... to get two Opteron's from US. Now i wait .... arround 8-10 october i should have the proc's (i just hope they'll pass customs without paying the expensive taxes that my country has).
The store that should bring me the mainboard said that because they use a car to go arround Europe to pick-up different ordered computer parts, i will get my mainboard on october 27'th ... so i wait...

I posted this update so that you will not think i forgot about my promise of reporting back here how it works ... if it works
 10/13/2005 08:26 AM

Author Icon
Zeratull

Hello.
The workstation is up&running /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> ... The Opterons are 246's, unfortunately they are C0's /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />(. Few problems (i must update the drivers for the video board; SpeedFan says that at 12V i actually have 10V; it won't read the fan speed for the case fan <like i said, i have 120mm fans. in the mainboard guide, it says that there's only one connector with fan speed reading and it supports only 3.0A fans. maybe my 120mm fan is not a 3.0A fan. yes, i did connect the fan in the right place and i tried also connecting it to each of the other 3 options, but still, no fan speed reading...> but no major one.
The proc's stay arround 30C-34C (degrees Celsius) .... CPU1 is a little hotter than CPU2, but the diffrence is no more than 3-4C. No tests yet, because i don't have internet at home. I'm hoping to fix that in a week or so. I'll get back to you on that.
Bye.
 10/13/2005 09:25 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

As a reality check look at what voltages your bios is reporting, or maybe use a tyan proviode one(do they have one?)
 10/16/2005 10:36 AM

Author Icon
Zeratull

Well... in Tyan's bios i can only see the voltages for +3, +5 and -12 .... not for +12. I was thinking about measuring the voltage using a voltmeter (a hardware tool /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> ... ) ... i will try and see what the guys from the service shop say about this problem, but i'm pretty sure they'll say that if the workstation is running without problems, i won't benefit from the warranty .... i'll just have to wait and see... i'll get back with updates....
 10/24/2005 04:32 PM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

"no fan speed reading" => If the fans spin too slow some of the headers can't handle the signals. At least this is the truth for the S2885 (Fan5 and Fan6). Maybe this is somehow the same with your connectors.

Fo the 12V lines: I think that it is odd that the +12V line is not listed inside the BIOS. Have you tried the Tyan System Monitor to read out the 12V line? It should do it.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

10/29/2005 02:58 PM

Author Icon
Zeratull

Well ... the fan is 120mm .. rpm is in the range 1300-2000.
A friend came and measured the voltage with a device, directly from the 4pin power connector. The value was 12.16V ... so it seems that the sensor is not giving out the right data.
I installed the Tyan Sistem Monitor, but it doesn't show much ... it doesn't even show the +12V value. Only the +3,+5 and -12 .... I'll try to update the BIOS soon /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> ... right now, i have no ideea what BIOS version i've got.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information