Increase font size
Topic Title: opteron 246
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/15/2003 05:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/15/2003 05:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
yorkie4

i recently upgraded my pc from an xp 2k to this new opteron 246 asus sk8n mobo and 2 512meg registered pc2700 sticks of mem i am also running a geforce 4 ti4600 from gainward

the problem i am having is that on nearly every game i play on my system after about a minute or so the pc will reset and reboot

is there some problem with my setup or is it something else each time i check the reason for crash it comes up that the cpu reported a hardware fault and reset

please help i just spent a fortune on this upgrade and am really at my wits end
 12/15/2003 06:00 AM

Author Icon
Ardrid
Heavy Wizardry

Sounds like you might have a power supply issue. What PSU do you have?

-------------------------
Intel Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair HX650W
Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 (4GB @ 8-8-8-24)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
 12/15/2003 06:22 AM

Author Icon
yorkie4

i am using a Q-TECH gold 550 watt psu but i have never had any trouble with it
 12/15/2003 06:49 AM

Author Icon
yorkie4

i'll give a little more info for you perhaps it will help

i am using windows xp pro

not all games have this problem but so far i have only got 2 games that run ok all the rest have the reset problem

the games that run ok are call of duty and army operations all my other games like MOH breakthrough delta force black hawk down and many others reset after about a minute or so

i have tried many different settings and also updated the bios to make sure everything is optimal but i still can't find the problem
 12/15/2003 07:38 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Run memtest86 to make sure your RAM is OK.
Did you connect the 4-pin power connector on your mobo?

btw, please use the 'Edit-button' if you forgot to post something or want to add additional info - do not double-post.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 12/15/2003 10:37 AM

Author Icon
yorkie4

ok i have tried memtest and i'm afraid i get no results as it does exatly the same as when i run the games but i did find a statement on the memtest page that might explain that

Memtest86 can not diagnose many types of PC failures. For example a faulty CPU that causes Windows to crash will most likely just cause Memtest86 to crash in the same way.

i am now going to put in a different graphics card to make sure i have no problem i will let you know the result afterwards

i personally very much doubt a memmory problem as i just bought this memmory the same time as i bought the cpu and board and it is ecc registered memmory i ran a few sisoft sandra test and it is saying all is fine but when it ran the cpu test it rebooted too could it be an updated instruction that windows xp or maybe opengl or direct x is conflicting with

as you can see i have been very thorough as to finding the reason for this problem but i am still baffled
 12/15/2003 02:17 PM

Author Icon
yorkie4

ok well i have tried three different graphics cards and even updated to the latest drivers and it is still the same

i am running outa options
any more ideas
 12/15/2003 03:15 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

QUOTE (Greyhound @ Dec 15 2003, 04:38 AM) btw, please use the 'Edit-button' if you forgot to post something or want to add additional info - do not double-post.
Did we forget something?

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 12/16/2003 03:18 PM

Author Icon
yorkie4

wouldn't your effort be better spent trying to figure this £970 bit of kit with a problem rather than sarcasm i am really not impressed with the way it is runing i have however found that a lot of games work fine but a lot don't, none of the medal of honour series games work as well as a lot of others.

there must be some reason for this maybe you ought to be looking into some kind of patch to make the opteron more compatible with the way the games run there has to be some difference maybe in the way these games use things like opengl or direct3d or something

all i know is i spent nearly a grand to play games without slowdown and now i can't play half of them
 12/17/2003 01:18 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

DID you connect the 4-pin-thing or not?
Update your BIOS to the latest version....you can d/l it from the Asus' site.
What's your temps and voltages(as displayed in BIOS)?

A faulty stick of RAM is a lot more likely than a faulty CPU...it happens...yes, even if it's brand-new and regardless of whether it's ECC-reg or not.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 12/17/2003 02:58 AM

Author Icon
yorkie4

you don't seem to know your opterons very well if you don't connect the 4 pin power cable the system will not boot

it will just switch on and hang before it gets to the cmos beep

and this i morning tested both sticks of memmory one at a time in my other system with absolutely no problems whatsoever

the specs for the other system being a xp2k with half gig ddr and a geforce 2 gts which is the one i upgraded from

i updated the bios twice so far i am now running ver 1004 and as for the temps they couldn't be better as i am using an alluminium case which has built in temperature and fan controll probes

except for ther crashes on the games i have an extremely stable system with no gliches or errors anytime
 12/17/2003 03:40 AM

Author Icon
Ardrid
Heavy Wizardry

Please do not double post. Edit your original if you need to add new information. First post deleted.

In addition, the sarcastic tone is not appreciated. We're trying to help you out. It should be mentioned that we're not tech support. We're merely other AMD users who help out other users. If you think your problem warrants tech support then you should contact them.

Intel Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair HX650W
Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 (4GB @ 8-8-8-24)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
 12/17/2003 04:06 AM

Author Icon
yorkie4

that wasn't a double post i clicked the edit button and when i finished it reposted whether i did something wrong or not i don't know

as for the sarcastic bit that wasn't meant i just thought that perhaps you didn't know how an opteron booted

basically if i don't put in the 4 pin power connecter the system will do nothing i have physically now tried everything including different sound and lan cards and xp home instead of pro yuck did that make me feel sick

all hardware has been tested retested and replaced with different hardware as with all software but i still have the same problem

the only thing i haven't got a spare of is the cpu and NO i don't think it is faulty i just think there is something different that these games don't like
 12/17/2003 06:33 AM

Author Icon
jes

Well if I understand you correctly, you've replaced and rechecked individually each likely piece of hardware. In that case, the finger of suspicion points at the software rather than the hardware, either the OS or some of the drivers you're using.

How about trying Win2000 and trying your games, see if you get the same problem?

http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
 12/17/2003 06:47 AM

Author Icon
yorkie4

the only problem there is that the only other operating system that is game orientated is windows 98 se

windows 2000 and 2003 are not very game friendly

and yes i have not only updated all drivers to the latest but i have updated all firmwares in my burners and my graphics card

there is nothing more i can do than wait for longhorn i guess,
it still aint right to lose compatability like this when all i wanted was to upgrade my games rig

i originally ordered the fx 51 chip but then i found out it wouldn't run on this board at all till the bios was updated which i wouldn't have been able to do with the fx 51 chip installed

so i changed my order to the opteron 246 now i wish the fx 51 had run
 12/17/2003 07:11 AM

Author Icon
jes

Well you might say that Win2000 isn't game friendly that doesn't mean you can't run games on it.

I *really* doubt it's the Opteron chip that's causing you these problems, they're being used in 10,000 CPU clusters so stability is a key factor in their design, it's certainly more likely that you either have some other flakey hardware somewhere (which you think you've ruled out) which could still be a problem if you switched to the FX-51.

I tend to think of it like this, the chances of it being the CPU are relatively small, the chances of it being hardware are bigger, the chances of it being software are even greater still. I'd certainly consider it worthwhile trying out Win2000 and see if your game runs ok or not on there.

http://www.shellprompt.net
Unix & Oracle Web Hosting Provider powered by AMD Opterons
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information