AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: USB Mass Storage Driver. Data is invalid.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/17/2003 02:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/17/2003 02:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
reinyn

I know this is a long shot posting here, but I put together a new system and I'm really stuck.

I have a Opteron 144, Gigabyte K8NNXP-940 with Windows XP SP1a. Whenever I attach a USB storage device (external USB hard drive or pen storage) I receive the error "Data is invalid" when the system tries to auto install the USB Mass Storage driver. I installed the NForce drivers and the USB 2.0 patch. Everything else seems to be working fine.

If anyone has any ideas or knows where there is a .inf file that will allow me to reinstall the USB Mass Storage driver I would really appreciate it.

thanks.
 12/17/2003 02:16 PM

Author Icon
voodoo3300

Try a new order for installing windows:-

-Windows XP
-Service Pack 1
-Critical Updates
-nForce 3 driver, graphics, sound modem etc

Dont install any specific mass storage driver, instead, after installing the nforce go to device manager, then under USB select scan for hardware changes. Then force XP to look in c: or whatever is your boot drive, so that it will use a generic driver. This method works fine on the nforce2.

Jake

-------------------------
Main:
AMD Athlon 2600+ 333Mhz Thoroughbred | 512Mb in 2x 256Mb DaneElec DDR PC2700 | XFX NF2S-ALH with nForce 2 400Pro | Asus GeForce FX5200 128Mb Magic! | Creative 5.1! Live! | Maxtor DM+9 80Gb and Maxtor DM+8 20Gb | LiteON 832S DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer 8x | LiteOn 48x12x48x CD-RW | Full Black server case with 500W PSU | Relisys 17" Monitor | Wireless Optical Mouse | Logitech Surfer | XP Professional SP1

Server: Intel (Oh no!) 2x Pent
 12/17/2003 02:36 PM

Author Icon
reinyn

Thanks voodoo3300,

Your order was actually the order that I installed in. I really don't want to have to rebuild the system just to fix this one issue. I think that the Gigabyte drivers might have set the wrong permissions in the registry. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what registry entries are used for the USB storage driver. I think that I will try to set read/write permissions for the entire registry and if that doesn't work maybe I can export registry settings from another XP box where the USB driver is working.

I don't know, it seems like a strange problem and it is frustrating.
thanks
 12/17/2003 11:08 PM

Author Icon
reinyn

still working at it, no luck....
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information