Increase font size
Topic Title: 1U Opteron heatsinks in Europe
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/07/2003 07:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/07/2003 07:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hattig

Who sells 1U Opteron heatsinks in Europe, preferably the UK? My company is assessing the Opteron currently for use in our servers as they are getting due for replacement soon. We'd like a 64-bit solution to install once 64-bit FreeBSD becomes available.

So far all of the heatsink manufacturers have been silent about the issue, one replied and said that they had no 1U heatsinks for Opteron in Europe. The only company that I've found that sells them became very silent when they worked out that I wasn't going to buy processors, motherboards and 1U cases from them as well.

I find it a bit ridiculous to say the least that AMD will be offering a server processor without having related hardware available to purchase in order to complete the building of a server.

Any pointers to sellers of 1U heatsinks would be greatly appreciated.
 10/07/2003 08:14 AM

Author Icon
Torniojaws

Doesn't the unit come with a heatsink ?
Or have I been misinformed

-------------------------

: MadOnion :
 10/07/2003 08:27 AM

Author Icon
Hattig

QUOTE (Torniojaws @ Oct 7 2003, 01:14 PM) Doesn't the unit come with a heatsink ?
Or have I been misinformed
It comes with a large heatsink.

a 1U case is 1.75" high. Clearly a 2.5" high heatsink will not fit in there!
 10/07/2003 09:19 AM

Author Icon
Dave Graham

i can check around for you...

check with FoxConn and see if they build them...there's also a few companies that will custom fabricate HSF solutions if you need them...

cheers,

dave

----------
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
-----------
Owner, Webmaster
Flickerdown Data Systems' ">http://www.flickerdown.com/stewks/
"The Fusion of Hardware and Life"
 10/07/2003 09:47 AM

Author Icon
Hattig

Cheers.

I know that 1U heatsinks are made - OCZ make them, for example. They just don't appear to offer them in Europe at all (I've asked them).

Maybe AMD could put a little more effort into getting heatsink manufacturers to make a better range of Opteron heatsink products and actually make them available for users to purchase.

Obviously I'd rather go Xeon and get ready made 1U coolers than get coolers made to order for Opteron.
 10/07/2003 11:57 AM

Author Icon
Dave Graham

QUOTE (Hattig @ Oct 7 2003, 05:47 AM) Cheers.

I know that 1U heatsinks are made - OCZ make them, for example. They just don't appear to offer them in Europe at all (I've asked them).

Maybe AMD could put a little more effort into getting heatsink manufacturers to make a better range of Opteron heatsink products and actually make them available for users to purchase.

Obviously I'd rather go Xeon and get ready made 1U coolers than get coolers made to order for Opteron.
a lot of rack case manufacturers include heatsinks with their product. Chenbro, for example included 2 Xeon heatsinks with their evaluation unit they shipped to me...

FoxConn is probably your best bet for OEM 1U heatsinks...I'll do some asking around (as stated above) and see what I can find for you.

cheers,

dave

----------
The opinions expressed above do not represent the views of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
-----------
Owner, Webmaster
 10/08/2003 07:44 PM

Author Icon
Dave Graham

go here: http://www.thermaltake.com/products/rackmountMenu.htm' ">http://www.thermaltake.com/products/rackmountMenu.htm

thermaltake has a least 3 solutions for Opterons...

cheers,

dave

----------
-----------
Owner, Webmaster
 10/08/2003 09:11 PM

Author Icon
Hattig

QUOTE (Dave Graham @ Oct 9 2003, 12:44 AM) go here: http://www.thermaltake.com/products/rackmountMenu.htm' ">http://www.thermaltake.com/products/rackmountMenu.htm

thermaltake has a least 3 solutions for Opterons...

cheers,

dave
Thanks!

Let's hope that Thermaltake respond to e-mails...
 10/08/2003 09:31 PM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

I am not sure you should really blame this completely on AMD. Keep in mind there are many factors involved in developing a thermal solution for 1U. Orientation of mobo in chassis, airflow routing, orientation of sockets on mobo, orientation of fins to match airflow, location of powersupply, power dissipation of processors, power dissipation of installed components. The list goes on and on. It's not like you can just grab a heatsink off the shelf and pop it into a 1U case. The solution needs to be mated to entire design of the box. This is probably why the vendor got quiet. He has a designed solution that has probably been thermally tested. His heatsink solution may not work in your system because your layout is completely different.

I am guessing this is why AMD contracted with Celestica to provide a bare bones solution where vendors can customize it with their components, but the basic layout is already done to meet the thermals of the system. If you look at the server AMD is using for this forum, you will see they are using Celestica servers.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information