Increase font size
Topic Title: So Long Asus
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/19/2006 03:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/19/2006 03:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jklincewicz

After all the grief I had with my K8N-DL (memory compatibility issues etc.) I finally had it INCHES from working .... I had both Silli and Nvidia SATA working together (Striped RAID on Nvidia and SATA DVD RW on Sili.) XP Pro loaded and optimized, etc.

In the end, the CPU would be shorted every time I tried to clamp down the 64 Pro Freezer cooler. I tried "half-clamping" it, bit it would eventually die. I bought an el-cheapo cooler that I could adjust the screws to the retention clamp granularly, but the CPU would eventually reach 70c and shut down.

Thanks to TigerDirect for stepping up and accepting a return. The final reason was Asus would only support an Opteron 285 on a Rev 1.05 PCB (mine was 1.03) and had NO way of guaranteeing a reseller could pick out a late-rev board. I;m SURE there is a correlation between serial #'s and board revs, but all I got from Asus was a bunch of lies and finger pointing.

I ordered a Tyan Tiger K8WE today. My Tiger K8W has performed flawlessly for 3+ years, and their tech support never lied to me. It may not be a an O/C board, but they seem to at least be professionals.
 12/26/2006 04:47 AM

Author Icon
HeatSurge

quote:

Originally posted by: jklincewicz
After all the grief I had with my K8N-DL (memory compatibility issues etc.) I finally had it INCHES from working .... I had both Silli and Nvidia SATA working together (Striped RAID on Nvidia and SATA DVD RW on Sili.) XP Pro loaded and optimized, etc.

In the end, the CPU would be shorted every time I tried to clamp down the 64 Pro Freezer cooler. I tried "half-clamping" it, bit it would eventually die. I bought an el-cheapo cooler that I could adjust the screws to the retention clamp granularly, but the CPU would eventually reach 70c and shut down.

Thanks to TigerDirect for stepping up and accepting a return. The final reason was Asus would only support an Opteron 285 on a Rev 1.05 PCB (mine was 1.03) and had NO way of guaranteeing a reseller could pick out a late-rev board. I;m SURE there is a correlation between serial #'s and board revs, but all I got from Asus was a bunch of lies and finger pointing.

I ordered a Tyan Tiger K8WE today. My Tiger K8W has performed flawlessly for 3+ years, and their tech support never lied to me. It may not be a an O/C board, but they seem to at least be professionals.

How does a CPU "short" when you clamp down a cooler on it?! I think it would probably crack if it's forced or something, but ... short?
 12/26/2006 08:49 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

Here comes my theory:
Maybe it's a loose contact at the CPU-socket or something like that. The sockets are just soldered with tiny balls of solder. It may be possible that one of these 939 solder balls loses the contact as soon as the pressure is applied by the heatsink. No short but non-functioning as well.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information