Increase font size
Topic Title: Early Opteron (144) microcode errors
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/22/2006 07:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/22/2006 07:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Runaway1956

I grabbed one of the very early Opterons, a 144 clocked at 1800 mhz. It's home is an Asus board, I'd have to get the model number.....

Anyway - Suse Linux 10 64 bit is happy on it, as is WinXP and W2K3 in 64 bit versions. Any attempt to install Solaris fails, due to a microcode issue. Likewise, VMWare refuses to support it as 64 bit, giving me a similar message, and stating that I must have revision of the chip later than "D".

The message encountered while while failing to install Solaris suggests that a microcode update would enable installation to proceed.

I've googled about, and found nothing definitive on the subject. Solaris doesn't offer a link to the update. Reading various sources suggests that what I'm looking for is a Bios upgrade that addresses this microcode issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

If my mainboard specs and precise Opteron serial number are necessary, I'll have to post again when I'm at home with the machine in question.

Off topic, I'm glad that I finally FOUND an AMD forum - I've halfheartedly looked for this place in the past, and failed to find it. Stumbled over it through the updated ATI website. Good idea that AMD bought ATI, BTW.....

Thanks in advance,

Runaway
 12/22/2006 10:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

1.: Welcome to the forum.

2.: You can find the BIOS-Update on the ASUS-website.
If you want others to give your further assistance it may be helpful to post more details of your system. In this case the mainboard model would be a good start.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information