Increase font size
Topic Title: Linux fine windows dead?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/25/2006 05:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/25/2006 05:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
matthar

A little bit worrying posting on Christmas day but I am at my wits end!
I have build an Opteron 150 based system with Tyan MB (Tomcat K8E-SLI S2866) 2x SATA drives in mirror RAID. this is due to be a database server for a dental practice. The software is Windows only (although I am trying to get it to work on linux with wine). Here is the problem. The system runs linux fine (All flavours) I am writing from it now. but try and install windows XP. half the time it wont complete the installation and when it does you can run a couple o winows then various parts of windows crashes (usually the "Start" button and sidebar options in explorer.) no complete system crash but the only way you can shutdown is to use the reset button. then you can't start windows again. it crashes on start up. Is it a processor fault or do you think I have a duff copy of windows.? how can I find out if the processor is fully healthy? /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />
 12/26/2006 08:41 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

To start troubleshooting I'd like to see your fill system specs. PSU, memory modules (# of modules, brand, type), harddrives, graphics card.

Next what you can already do would be a complete run of memtest86. Windows seems to be more sensitive for defective memory than Linux. Most of the time you won't even be able to install Windows with defective memory, but it could be the reason.
If memtest produces errors you should remove all except one memory module. Errors again: try another memory module. Errors again: Try another memory slot.
Following these instructions you will find out if it is just one module or the slot or the combination of your modules.

Did you install Linux and Windows to the same harddrive (your RAID-1)? If you used another disk for testing you could try to exchange the Windows harddrive. It may be the reason, too.

Right now I'd tend towards a memory related problem.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

12/26/2006 08:51 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: matthar
A little bit worrying posting on Christmas day but I am at my wits end!
I have build an Opteron 150 based system with Tyan MB (Tomcat K8E-SLI S2866) 2x SATA drives in mirror RAID. this is due to be a database server for a dental practice. The software is Windows only (although I am trying to get it to work on linux with wine). Here is the problem. The system runs linux fine (All flavours) I am writing from it now. but try and install windows XP. half the time it wont complete the installation and when it does you can run a couple o winows then various parts of windows crashes (usually the "Start" button and sidebar options in explorer.) no complete system crash but the only way you can shutdown is to use the reset button. then you can't start windows again. it crashes on start up. Is it a processor fault or do you think I have a duff copy of windows.? how can I find out if the processor is fully healthy? /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Why are you going to Linux for a dentist's office? If would be easier for them to get software in Windows. If you need Wine to run his app, stay with Windows. I do support for a few dentist offices. All their software is Windows. I would do a repair install on Windows and not install Linux. It is not that expensive to maintain Windows compared to the downtime fixing Linux. Also, future software upgrades may not run in Wine causing other issues.

I was able to install both Windows 2K Pro SP4 and XP Pro SP2 along with Redhat FC4 AMD64. You need a 100 MB FAT parititon for all the loader files to see. Use Grub loader only. Install Windows first.

I would still not do it. Stick with Windows.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 12/26/2006 09:13 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

I am running my dual Opteron with Linux at the moment as well and I have to agree. Wine is OK for your private use but not if you have to run it in a productive environment.
Well, I have more than enough problems with Wine myself. You may encounter strange problems in applications. Even Office2003pro, that should run perferfect, does not behave the same way as used with Windows XP. Just one quick example: I always install it with english and german languages only and deactivate all asian language support during the installation. But I enable Minky the office assistant, Visual Basic scripting, the solver, etc.
I did it in Crossover Office (based on Wine) as I always do in windows. After the installation I checked the options menu and found everything for asian languages as before. The standard language was not german but english and I could not change it (at least the change was not saved). I could not integrate Mathtype because of macro security settings. (I know that the standard settings after a fresh installation are OK for Mathtype.) Even after I set the security level to the minimum setting the macro from mathtype did not function.

Wine is nice to play with but it can not replace a running Windows. Or "not yet".

If you use this computer just as a server I'd like to know what you have to use Wine for.
-------------------------------

But that's an off-topic discussion. We should find and solve the hardware problems first.

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

12/30/2006 02:54 PM

Author Icon
matthar

derGhostrider,
Thankyou for your tip with the memory. I now have Windows reinstalled. However I have not reinstalled the Tyan motherboard drivers yet. This is what seemed to start the whole problem. (I am about to try again soon within the next hour)
For the other two posters, thankyou for your replies. I however didn't make myself clear on the fact that I am only trying to get the windows software to run on linux for my own personal satisfaction and not to put into the enterprise environment. The reason why I had tested linux on the system is to try and deduce whether the processor had been dammaged by a power surge and subsequent power cut to the system. Is there ary reliable way of testing the processor on its full instruction set and the L1 and L2 cache?
As for my Specs Opteron 150 939 on TyanTomcat K8E (S2866) 1GB ram (2x512) PSU Enermax 535Watt.
Thanks again will let U know How I get on.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information