Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Hammer Family 'Model unknown" troubles
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/16/2006 02:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/16/2006 02:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dj_kwest

Asus A8NE-FM motherboard -bios 1004
Win XP Pro x64
Opteron 175 dual core
2x1GB OCZ pc3200 DDR400 (3-3-3-8) dual channel ram
e-GeForce 8800GTS videocard

---------------------------------------

I have a feeling the inability to detect the processor's dual core/model/family is probably do to the older bios.. I d/l bios 1013 but when trying to install it I get an "EEEPROM does not match error".

I have d/l and run the x64 processor drivers, dual core optimizer, etc and still it only detects as a single core, generic 2.2GHz AMD processor.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

-c.
 11/16/2006 03:49 AM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

You probabily tried to install a BIOS that isn't for you exact Motherboard Model or Revision and that is why it doesn't allows you to upgrade it, though there can be another possibilities like a damaged BIOS Flash ROM, you are not using the correct application to do so, etc.
If the only issue that you have is just than the Processor doesn't comes with the Opteron 175 name, you can save yourself from the BIOS upgrading problem as it should be just a name issue that should have no impact on functionality or performance.
 11/16/2006 04:10 AM

Author Icon
dj_kwest

quote:

Originally posted by: zir_blazer
You probabily tried to install a BIOS that isn't for you exact Motherboard Model or Revision and that is why it doesn't allows you to upgrade it, though there can be another possibilities like a damaged BIOS Flash ROM, you are not using the correct application to do so, etc.
If the only issue that you have is just than the Processor doesn't comes with the Opteron 175 name, you can save yourself from the BIOS upgrading problem as it should be just a name issue that should have no impact on functionality or performance.

Thanks for the advice! But perhaps I was not clear.. The processor is not detecting as an opteron, but just a generic processor, ie: NO DUAL CORE

HOWEVER... You're absolutely correct! Turns out it was an OEM board and the ASUS drivers/bios,etc were inefective cause I had to find out it was actually Fuji who manufactured it, went to their site, d/l the latest bios and after a strange ordeal, it worked!

Strange ordeal=the bios files on their site were ISO files, so I figured I'd d/l it, un-ISO it and manually flash the bios...WRONG!

The ISO file is EMPTY (or so it appeared), the instructions in German. I DID recognize NERO though amongst the German text, so I burned the image using Nero (a 2MB bootable image, apparently)... After burning, I checked the CD to browse it's contents... EMPTY! Whaaaaat?
So anyways, I rebooted the PC, prioritizing the CD drive just to see what would happen, and sure enough, it flashed the bios automatically. (again in German. I just pressed enter and it did it's thing)

Windows came back. Bios Updated. Processor(s) detected (dual core, etc). Happy camper. Thank you.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information