Increase font size
Topic Title: opteron 144
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/18/2006 04:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/18/2006 04:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kinlungchan

Hello all,

i'm interested in purchasing a opteron 144 processor from a friend of mine. At the moment i'm running an athlon xp 2000 system running at 1.8ghz. Mostly i use my computer for web design, graphics package, internet and video editing. what i want to know is whether its worth purchasing the cpu and a new motherboard. will i see and feel the difference in performance?

thanks tony
 10/18/2006 07:08 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

I think that you will see and feel the increased performance BUT the detail that you have to buy a new mainboard (and maybe even new memory and some other stuff) does not make it worth buying this CPU.

If it is an Opteron 144 for Socket 940 you need to buy REGISTERED memory. The boards with single socket940 CPUs are already old fashioned. My advice would be: Don't spend money for such an old platform.

If it is an Opteron 144 for Socket939 you won't need registered memory. But even socket 939 is already discontinued - a dead end route and I doubt that it is worth to upgrate to this route.

Take a look at some online shops. The slowest CPU for socket AM2 will give you more performance than the 144 AND you would have an up-to-date system.
Yes, you will have to buy new memory and a PCI-express graphics card but even low-budget parts from known manufactors (dont select no-name stuff) will outperform your old system and the 144 by far.

So if the 144 is for socket940 you would have to buy about the same amount of new hardware as if you switch to a brand new CPU with socket AM2 - except the graphics card.
If it is socket 939 you will most likely have to buy a new graphics card (PCI-express will be present on most of these boards so the graphics card has to be bought) but you may keep your memory.

From my point of view the upgrade would be reasonable if you would get the CPU + mainboard for a fair price.

But please wait for some other opinions. I always tend to maximize the system specs.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

10/18/2006 09:06 AM

Author Icon
kinlungchan

cheers thanks for the reply, yes it would be a socket 939 cpu and i didn't think about the other components that would need upgrading so the costs would mount up. i'm after upgrading my system but your suggestion of buying latest technology seems like good advice.

thanks
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information