Topic Title: Dual Opteron 285's, TYAN K8WE S2895, Windows XP Pro 32Bit
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/30/2006 02:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/10/2007 03:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
XDUDE

Well..i think i might have got it...I did a full system scan for any file named "nvatabus.sys" and saw that 4 of the 6 were a 92k file, 2 were a 83k file that were in the "system 32/drivers" and "oemdir" files...i replaced these with the current up to date file so that all were the 92k file..so far it is running and no shut downs or restarts in over 2 days...thats a record so i think that was it...hope so...i'll let u know it the problem is still there but i think i got it!

thanks for all your time once again..

-------------------------
Josh DeHaan
3D Artwork, Inc.
------------------------------------------
 02/10/2007 08:58 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

@XDUDE:
Nice to hear that you solved the problem...

*grin* I hope that it was the driver file that you replaced because that was the most suspicious for me as well. (as written in my last post at the end)

Good luck and please report back in a few days or a week if the system is still stable.

------------

@Mckennma: I can't find any logical argument why a single rail PSU should be better than a split plane PSU with three or better four lanes if the combined amperage of these split lanes is equal to the amperage of the single rail PSU and each rail of the split plane is "strong enough".

SSI-specs for EPS12V:
http://ssiforum.org/Power%20Su...PS12...Spec%202_91.pdf

Page 7, "Notes", last sentence:
"The +12V rail may be separated into three +12V rails to meet regulatory requirements for engergy hazards (240VA)."

Page 16, "Table 8: Processor Power Connector" and "+12V4 Baseboard Power Connector":
CPUs are fed by 12V1 and 12V2, only if the board will require more than 16A it needs an additional 2x2 Powerplug that has to be connected with 12V4.

The whole specifications list 12V1, 12V2, 12V3 and 12V4 lanes but mentions that a combined 12V rail is also possible.
A three rail design seems to be uncommon but possible. I'd prefer a four lane design OR a single rail to meet all the specifications. Nevertheless in this case it looks like a driver issue.

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

02/10/2007 10:17 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: derGhostrider
@XDUDE:
Nice to hear that you solved the problem...

*grin* I hope that it was the driver file that you replaced because that was the most suspicious for me as well. (as written in my last post at the end)

Good luck and please report back in a few days or a week if the system is still stable.

------------

@Mckennma: I can't find any logical argument why a single rail PSU should be better than a split plane PSU with three or better four lanes if the combined amperage of these split lanes is equal to the amperage of the single rail PSU and each rail of the split plane is "strong enough".

SSI-specs for EPS12V:
http://ssiforum.org/Power%20Su...PS12...Spec%202_91.pdf

Page 7, "Notes", last sentence:
"The +12V rail may be separated into three +12V rails to meet regulatory requirements for engergy hazards (240VA)."

Page 16, "Table 8: Processor Power Connector" and "+12V4 Baseboard Power Connector":
CPUs are fed by 12V1 and 12V2, only if the board will require more than 16A it needs an additional 2x2 Powerplug that has to be connected with 12V4.

The whole specifications list 12V1, 12V2, 12V3 and 12V4 lanes but mentions that a combined 12V rail is also possible.
A three rail design seems to be uncommon but possible. I'd prefer a four lane design OR a single rail to meet all the specifications. Nevertheless in this case it looks like a driver issue.

Many multi-rail power supplies have strange combination limits on rails. The higher quality ones work fine. It is when a person wants to place a Sub-$50 multi-rail that is not SSI, when the problem happens. Most put the incorrect multi-rail power supplies on a Tyan board with a pair of dual cores, 8800 GTX cards, etc. I do agree with you to a certain extent. However, most noobs don't follow the rules for Tyan boards.

I have seen sys files get put in three locations and not match causing this problem. You have to search for all version of the problem file and replace the incorrect ones.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 02/10/2007 11:47 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

So we both agree.

little bit OT but related to low quality PSUs:
Tomshardware (yeah, I know that they are not the best...) tested consumer PSUs some days ago. I told them several times "how to use an oscilloscope" and after the second correction the results were acceptable. (Sometimes it's hard to be a physicist and watch people doing things that they don't understand.) Well, in the end it was nice to see the ripple and noise of some bad PSUs. That's what I'd never like to see in one of my systems. But they did not test the cheapest PSUs, they tested in the 50 - 100 Euro range (1Euro ~ 1,30USD).
A sub 50$ PSU with a single rail can't be a wise decision and won't be better to take something like that with a split rail design.

So the conclusion of our "PSU excurse" is: Take a required PSU or at least a good one that follows the required specifications of the board. (in this case: EPS12V / SSI)

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

02/14/2007 05:49 AM

Author Icon
XDUDE

the random restarts are gone but i have this problem

every time my computer boots up, during the windows loading screen u can hear the hard drive click and spin down then spin up, the loading screen sits there for over a min doing nothing, then the loading well start again and windows well load and run fine...what could cause this?

Josh DeHaan
3D Artwork, Inc.
 02/14/2007 10:29 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

So we both agree.

little bit OT but related to low quality PSUs:
Tomshardware (yeah, I know that they are not the best...) tested consumer PSUs some days ago. I told them several times "how to use an oscilloscope" and after the second correction the results were acceptable. (Sometimes it's hard to be a physicist and watch people doing things that they don't understand.) Well, in the end it was nice to see the ripple and noise of some bad PSUs. That's what I'd never like to see in one of my systems. But they did not test the cheapest PSUs, they tested in the 50 - 100 Euro range (1Euro ~ 1,30USD).
A sub 50$ PSU with a single rail can't be a wise decision and won't be better to take something like that with a split rail design.

So the conclusion of our "PSU excurse" is: Take a required PSU or at least a good one that follows the required specifications of the board. (in this case: EPS12V / SSI)

I just got back from the Baltics and London in Sept. It was not cheap.

In most case, we usually agree. Just for different reasons. I usually see it from the consultant used to dealing with minimum standards and seeing insufficient builds. End users not using the right power supply for their needs.

I have a minor in Physics and common sense. Lacking common sense and add the Walmart factor doom most Tyan board users. Most want to the use Walmart standard of mimimum compliance to spec. My favorite is my power supply is 650W. I have three 18A @ 12V rails. I look at the specs. They have a 480W power supply with 41A limit on the three 12V rails. When I tell them the video card is 18A. The dual cores are 15A. The four RAID drives are 4A. CD-ROM is 3A. You are running out of your 41A and probably over loading one of the rails. Most don't use common sense. They want a Ferrari with a Pinto engine to save money.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 02/15/2007 11:31 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

I know what you mean. I know many people that put a Semperon on a sub 50$ board, add some no name memory, a Samsung HDD, throw it all into a el-cheapo case and call it "server" because they use this crap to store some data. "Backup? Well, I have a second harddrive. That's save." These people don't understand why you can (and sometimes should) spend several thousands for a real server. *sigh*
Well, that's off topic... let's discuss it somewhere else.

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

02/15/2007 11:41 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

I know what you mean. I know many people that put a Semperon on a sub 50$ board, add some no name memory, a Samsung HDD, throw it all into a el-cheapo case and call it "server" because they use this crap to store some data. "Backup? Well, I have a second harddrive. That's save." These people don't understand why you can (and sometimes should) spend several thousands for a real server. *sigh*
Well, that's off topic... let's discuss it somewhere else.

If you give them the cheap option and best practice option, they rather go cheap. So I don't give them a cheap option.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 03/11/2007 02:41 PM

Author Icon
XDUDE

Hey everyone, i'm back with a update and a question and i didnt want to create a new topic so here it is on here

First, i got my CPU coolers in, the Zalman CNPS9700NT's and they work and look SO GOOD as u can see below. my opterons never run over 120F even under full load for days and the room this rig is in does not have AC, before they were running in the high 140F's so yeah, not good, anyways...

Anyways, my question is, these fans have the 4 pin power with PWM Control, Auto Restart...When i set them in the bios to quite they run at 1300ish RPMs...no sound at all, at full speed they run around 2900 RPMs, a bit loud but they get the temps down FAST...now, thats all fine, BUT when i set them to AUTO, they run about 2100 RPMs but even when the CPUs are not working and cool it does not slow down and when they are under full load they do not speed up...whats the deal? when the cpu is running in the high 80F's and low 90F's shouldn't the coolers go to quite mode? is there a way for me to set the temps at which they change speeds or am i stuck doing it by hand in the bios?

thanks for any input!

UPDATE: My system is running PERFECT and FAST with no errors shutdowns or even a blink in any program so thanks for the help, it is 100% PERFECT!

Josh DeHaan
3D Artwork, Inc.
 04/05/2007 12:30 PM

Author Icon
XDUDE

*bump*

Josh DeHaan
3D Artwork, Inc.
 04/05/2007 01:36 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

You can change this in the CMOS on to set the % of fan speed based on temperature. I usually leave it default. I rather have a bit of fan noise and cooler CPUs. My 280s stay in the mid 30C range. I don't see this hit 40C that often. 120F is around 50C. Much hotter than I want.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 01/15/2008 06:25 PM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

*deleted* Sorry.

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

Edited: 01/15/2008 at 06:26 PM by derGhostrider
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information