Increase font size
Topic Title: new 175 denmark running hot
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/13/2006 01:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/13/2006 01:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mrdpenguin

Hi, I just bought an opteron dual core 175 denmark and according to the bios it's running at 58 deg c idle. I was told from a few friends that that's hot, but I couldn't find any tech documents on this chip from AMD about proper temperature. I'm an electrical engineering student, but am a little new to building computers. The chip is on a new tyan tomcat k8e-sli board. I'm using AMD's stock heatsync and fan, which are huge. I"m pretty sure I installed it correctly. It had a gray thermal pad on the bottom. Please help!
 03/13/2006 01:05 AM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

the temperature reading may not be accurate.
update the motherboard's bios as sometimes that helps reading truer temps.

also, when you touch the HS is it warm?

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 03/13/2006 11:42 AM

Author Icon
mrdpenguin

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
the temperature reading may not be accurate.
update the motherboard's bios as sometimes that helps reading truer temps.

also, when you touch the HS is it warm?

The bios is currently the newest version. Tyan just came out with this board and I waited 2 months to recieve it so maybe they'll have another update in a few weeks. I'll try touching the HS when I get home. Thanks.
 03/13/2006 06:59 PM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

AFAIK Tyan is still working on a NEW method to read out the temperatures on all boards.
So take a look at their BIOS-page for upcomming releses. There are some boards that read out very high temperatures since the latest BIOS revisions.

Check that your HSF is in good contact to the CPU. As zeppelinrox said: feel with your fingertips if the heatsink is hot. If it is just luke warm it's a good chance that the temps are not displayed "correct".

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

03/22/2006 05:16 PM

Author Icon
mrdpenguin

Updates...
Thanks for all of your help. I just tried replacing the thermal pad with arctic silver 5, but it didn't seem to make any difference for the temperature readings. Also, tyan just came out with a new bios update for my system, so I did that, and now it's reading around 61-62 degrees celsius. I guess it's possible that I didn' use enough of the arctic silver, but I followed the directions and used the small amount that they reccommended. I also fealt the heatsync with my fingers, and it doesn't feel very hot. In fact, it bearly feels warm. I also just emailed tyan's tech support (after dealing with the auto email like 4 times) and am waiting to get a response from them. Any other sugesstions? It's really worrying me that it's runing so hot. Should I not be using it? I told the bios to shut it down if it hit 70 degrees C, that was the minimum temperature setting. Thanks again, everyone
 03/22/2006 05:28 PM

Author Icon
mrdpenguin

Oh, and these temps are just what the pheonex bios says because tyan still doen't support a software monitor for my board.....
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information