Topic Title: Cool'nQuiet with Opterons?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/21/2006 02:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/21/2006 02:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
a94cobra

I am trying to find out how to tell if the Cool'nQuiet technology works with the Opterons? I have got it to work with my laptop Athlon 64 3200+, but not my dual Opteron 244's.

Help!
 03/21/2006 03:51 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

For opterons its called "powernow" and you should install the driver from AMD to get it working properly

Also download the power status monitoring utilty form AMD to see whats happening.
It will probably run full speed unless you have played around with your windows power settings.

03/21/2006 09:17 PM

Author Icon
a94cobra

Ok, I ran the amdcpu program. The 1.2.2.2 version. I am running XP pro.

I installed the AMD power monitor program. I set the power options to minimal power management. The monitor shows the clocks speed at 1800mhz(Dual Opteron 244's). The power saving meter is always at the lowest. Nothing ever changes.

What do I need to do at this point to get the system to work right?
 03/22/2006 01:18 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

quote:

Originally posted by: a94cobra
I set the power options to minimal power management.

Well it is working right as you set it to minimal power saving, eg don't save power unless inactive for a looong time.

If you really want to see the speed throttling in action, set it to maximum power saving or something like that.

Most people complain because cool n quiet has there CPU's runnig to slow, you are complaing its not running it slow enough
 03/22/2006 01:43 AM

Author Icon
a94cobra

Well, I like the PowerNow - Cool'nQuiet operation on my laptop. It varies the clock to keep processor cool.

I have a ZMAXdp from Iwill with two 244 Opterons. If I can keep the clock speed down for normal use, no games or video editing kinda stuff, the machine will run cooler and be quieter. Anyone seen one of these can attest to the noise it CAN make. Most of the time the fans run in the middle, varying up and down some.

I have tried all the power schemes. They do nothing different to the clock speed. I found a program called Central Brain Identifier that will allow me to change the multiplier and slow down the CPU's. I slowed down the CPU's to 1000 each. The machine was very quiet at this pace. But I have to go thru all the motions to turn up the speed if I need the processing power back. It's not automatic.

I thought the PowerNow was automatic. What am I doing wrong? It works on my AMD 64 3200+ laptop.

Also is the 244 Opteron multiplier locked at 9? The Central Brain Identifier couldn't set it higher, only lower.
 03/22/2006 03:44 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

yeah the highest multiplier of a 244 or 9 (9x200mHz = 1.8GHz)

What if you select laptop as the power mode?

I can't think of any other options, right now I will have a look when I get home tonight.
 03/22/2006 07:06 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

I could not find any settings either

But crystalcpuid can do the job

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

I have mine running at 1.0 Ghz at 1.2 volts up 2.4 at 1.4volts

use verion 4.6 to get the mulitplier control
 03/22/2006 09:44 AM

Author Icon
a94cobra

None of the power management features change the clock like they do on my laptop.

Thanks for the tip on CrystalCPUid. I had that program. But I downloaded the newest version to get the program to autorun on startup and hide itself(except for the tray icon.)

It works automagically like it should. Now, how do I play with the voltages? Is it nessasary to modify that? I am sure that would save some more heat.
 03/22/2006 01:07 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown automagically

cool new word

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 03/22/2006 01:58 PM

Author Icon
EdG

quote:

None of the power management features change the clock like they do on my laptop.

Thanks for the tip on CrystalCPUid. I had that program. But I downloaded the newest version to get the program to autorun on startup and hide itself(except for the tray icon.)

It works automagically like it should. Now, how do I play with the voltages? Is it nessasary to modify that? I am sure that would save some more heat.

This one might do voltages also, not really sure, never had to use those utilities.
RM Clock Utility 2.05 - http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml

03/22/2006 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

quote:

You have to click the enable voltage control button, and then it enables the voltage selection fields
 03/22/2006 11:08 PM

Author Icon
a94cobra

quote:

Originally posted by: Bitey
You have to click the enable voltage control button, and then it enables the voltage selection fields

Yes, I got that. Just wasn't sure yet what voltages were considered safe to use. I am not looking to run on the edge, just save a little heat so the fans don't blow me away on this thing when I'm not powerprocessing.

Got any suggestions on safe voltages? I have the CrystalCPUid set to reduce my clock from 1800(full speed) to 1400(mid) to 1000(low).
 03/23/2006 03:15 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

quote:

Yes, I got that. Just wasn't sure yet what voltages were considered safe to use. I am not looking to run on the edge, just save a little heat so the fans don't blow me away on this thing when I'm not powerprocessing.

Got any suggestions on safe voltages? I have the CrystalCPUid set to reduce my clock from 1800(full speed) to 1400(mid) to 1000(low).

What I did was wait for it to drop down to its slowest speed, and then gradually reduced the voltage to make sure it was safe...but really I was guessing at what was stable, you won't casue damge by having it to low, it will just crash

I think the best way to do a final test to determine if it is safe is to run your cpu's at fulll speed until they are quite hot, then idle and drop to the low speed/voltage.
If the cpu can run at those speeds/voltages when the silicon is still quite warm then you are probably safe.

PS I do believe AMD does not actively push cool& quiet in the opteron range becasue it causes the cpu's to go through a wide range of temperaures which can cause a lot of expansion/contraction stress , which in turns may effect reliabilty maybe even degradation in the heatsink grease.
But I would rather have a cool chip

oh , and 1.2 volts at 1000Mhz has been reilable for me so far :up:
(I use CG opterons which normally operates at 1.5 volts)
 03/23/2006 08:48 AM

Author Icon
davecason

quote:

I am trying to find out how to tell if the Cool'nQuiet technology works with the Opterons? I have got it to work with my laptop Athlon 64 3200+, but not my dual Opteron 244's.

Help!

After installing the drivers, I was able to enable Cool'nQuiet in my BIOS. Once I was in the OS, I went to my power management/options control pannel and adjusted the power scheme to "Laptop/Portable" which then put the processors into a variable speed mode, along with the system fans, that ran the processors from their rated speed of 2.2GHz down to 1GHz. This was only possible because my Opteron 248's are E4 stepping. I think you need to have E0 or newer for Cool'nQuiet to work.

FYI: Don't use Cool'nQuiet with VMWare. Bad things happen.
 03/23/2006 08:28 PM

Author Icon
a94cobra

CrystalCPUid reports the stepping of my processor(s) to be 'A'. And has the Powernow/CoolnQuiet highlighted. Central Brain Indentifier give it a stepping of '10' with a Revision of SH-CG.

I installed the drivers and chose 'Laptop/Portable' but nothing ever worked. The fans do speed up and slow down like they should.

I am gonna give 1.2 a try and see how stable it is.
 03/23/2006 11:39 PM

Author Icon
davecason

quote:

CrystalCPUid reports the stepping of my processor(s) to be 'A'. And has the Powernow/CoolnQuiet highlighted. Central Brain Indentifier give it a stepping of '10' with a Revision of SH-CG.

I installed the drivers and chose 'Laptop/Portable' but nothing ever worked. The fans do speed up and slow down like they should.

I am gonna give 1.2 a try and see how stable it is.

You have a CG stepping. My system manual states that this is too old to have functional PowerNow features. This is no guarantee it is true for your system, especially if CrystalCPUID is detecting the option as being available on your processor. You might check to see if you have ACPI enabled in your BIOS in addition to your Cool'nQuiet features. It might also be something that will fix itself with a BIOS update.
 03/24/2006 08:07 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

I have CG stepping opterons and the voltage /frequency control works for me when I select laptop in the power controlpanel dialog.
 03/25/2006 09:18 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

Well, only Ex stepping Opterons do officially support PowerNow! / Cool'n'quiet or how ever you want to call it.
My BIOS clearly says that my CPUs are not able to change the frequencies.

BUT: If you have a tool that can do it even if not officially supported (as Bitey does it with CrystalCPUid) it is "something like PowerNow" but not the hardware supported PowerNow that is usually known for Ex-Stepping CPUs.

I'll have to admit that I'll try it myself with my CGs... I'd like to get the fans even slower. I already have them temperature controlled at low RPM but a little bit less heat would be OK for a system that idles 90% of the time.

-----------------------
EDIT:

I installed the newest Opteron PowerNow! driver (1.2.2) and selected Laptop/Portable but I could not change the frequency or voltage of my CPUs with CrystalCPUid. (I tried the newest version and 4.6 as suggested above)
The required options were greyed out in the menu.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

03/26/2006 10:42 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Hm might just be a bios thing, but you are right AMD only offically supports power now on the new revisions.

Mine do the voltage/frequency throttling just using the laptop power scheme and the power now drivers, however I find crystal seems to work better in that the laptop power scheme tends to throttle more quickly and inapproiatly than crystal. However that may be a known issue with windows (see readme from driver install)

PS I am using windows xp pro 64bit
 04/03/2006 02:02 PM

Author Icon
damia

I have a zmaxdp dual opteron too, and I have been playing a little bit trying to get Powernow working. I run linux but, for this, it is the same. After a while I found out that there is a BIOS problem. In order to work, Powernow needs to be supported by CPU, BIOS and OS. In the case of the zmaxdp the problem is that powernow is not supported by the BIOS. You may think, why on earth somebody build a compact dual opteron machine with a serious temperature (and noise) problem and does not include Powernow support? I don't know either. Anyway, sometime ago (november 2005) I wrote Iwill (the builder of the zmaxdp) and I got this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Damia,

I am sorry to inform you that the current bios V116 does not support Cool n'
Quiet function now. I think that's why you get the error message from the
system.
The next bios version (V117) will support this function. Our R&D engineer
will release this bios in the near future.
I will inform you when we release it.
Again, apologize for the any inconvenient.
If you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I contacted them again asking about the release schedule for the next bios (v117) and I got this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Damia,

Sorry for the late reply. I am sorry that I have not get the information for
the ZMAXdp new bios released.
I think our R&D people are busing in this part. I will check with them soon,
then tell you the status.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later they sent me a trial version of the bios version v117, but it didn't work. I wrote back to let tehm know on the 13th of January, and that's it so far.
If you have a Zmaxdp you may want to write Iwill support to put some more pressure on them. I do it from time to time, but at this point I don't think that they will ever release a new version of the BIOS with powernow support for this machine. By the way if you have not upgraded your bios the last version v116 yet, you can get it from: http://www.iwill.net/product_2s.asp?p_id=36&tp=BIOS

Damia
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information