Increase font size
Topic Title: Graphics Card Malfunction Anomoly
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/28/2004 12:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/28/2004 12:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

Okay, perhaps someone else has had this happen before and they can help me out. I just finished setting up my Opteron 146 on an ASUS SK8V Mobo - my first venture into the world of AMD. I'm hoping to use the system for design work and setting up a LAN in my home, but I'm also very interested in gaming. So I got a GeForce 5950 FX Ultra GT for my graphics card. I set up 3DMark to see how my new AMD would perform. Before testing I went to the system stats page to see that everything on my new system was registering okay. To my utter frustration I found a terrible thing. My core clock and memory clock both registered 0.0Mhz!! Ouch! Of course that wasn't right. So I ran 3DMark and low and behold the graphics were beautiful and smooth - for about 10 seconds and then the entire test stalled for about 10 seconds - then it ran beautifully for 10 seconds - then it stalled - ad nauseum. So I entered into a very long series of uninstalling and reinstalling my hardware drivers (yes, I went to nVidia's page and got the recent drivers) I made sure about ten times that Direct X 9.0 was installed. I tried turning off cooling fans on my case to see if their was just not enough power being supplied by my PSU. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I even flashed the Bios on my graphics card.

So fearing that my installation had somehow damaged my card I tested the card in my ASUS P4C800 (Intel). And low and behold it worked just fine. So my next test will be the installation of a better PSU from Antec. 480Watt. My present PSU is basically a generic brand that cost me $20. Of course it might not be the PSU, so I'm open for any and all ideas.

-------------------------
asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
 09/08/2004 05:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

Well, I figured out my problem. Basically I was using a pathetic PSU. I bought a 550 Watt PSU from Antec, an Antec True Power, and the thing works brilliantly now.

-------------------------
asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information