Okay, perhaps someone else has had this happen before and they can help me out. I just finished setting up my Opteron 146 on an ASUS SK8V Mobo - my first venture into the world of AMD. I'm hoping to use the system for design work and setting up a LAN in my home, but I'm also very interested in gaming. So I got a GeForce 5950 FX Ultra GT for my graphics card. I set up 3DMark to see how my new AMD would perform. Before testing I went to the system stats page to see that everything on my new system was registering okay. To my utter frustration I found a terrible thing. My core clock and memory clock both registered 0.0Mhz!! Ouch! Of course that wasn't right. So I ran 3DMark and low and behold the graphics were beautiful and smooth - for about 10 seconds and then the entire test stalled for about 10 seconds - then it ran beautifully for 10 seconds - then it stalled - ad nauseum. So I entered into a very long series of uninstalling and reinstalling my hardware drivers (yes, I went to nVidia's page and got the recent drivers) I made sure about ten times that Direct X 9.0 was installed. I tried turning off cooling fans on my case to see if their was just not enough power being supplied by my PSU. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I even flashed the Bios on my graphics card.
So fearing that my installation had somehow damaged my card I tested the card in my ASUS P4C800 (Intel). And low and behold it worked just fine. So my next test will be the installation of a better PSU from Antec. 480Watt. My present PSU is basically a generic brand that cost me $20. Of course it might not be the PSU, so I'm open for any and all ideas.
asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600 Sapphire HD5770 Win7 Ultimate 64-bit Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!