Increase font size
Topic Title: TYAN TIGER s2875 CPU temp
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/07/2004 10:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/07/2004 10:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Sheeny

OK, I have just built my dream dual opteron 246 system from scratch, and very scientifically too at that I might add. Absolutely everything was done by the book!

Here is my problem. The CPU temperatures are registering at 65C and 68C on idle, and 68C and 71C at load. OK thats all well and good, but the base of the cooling fin assembly at the CPU measures (with an accurate temp guage device) approx 38-40C ?? At start, I'll go directly to the BIOS and register (within ten seconds) a CPU temp of 57-59C. Ambient temp in the room is around 24-26C.

Temperatures indicated using the Tyan motherboard monitoring utility and Speedfan, and also the reading through the BIOS consistently register these insanely? high temperatures. The system is very stable under load, I might add also.

I have opened the case and pointed a 30cm desk fan on high directly at the CPU's, but only noticed a 1-2 degree drop in temp. I have also removed the manufacturers thermal pad and used Arctic silver paste exactly as recommended.

I have contacted Tyan and they told me that they are right and I am wrong and thats it! Not really that satisfactory for a dude thats spent (in OZ - poor exchange rate) the equivalent of $10,000 US dollars putting the system together.

Does anyone else have incorrect temperatures issues?

I need to have my mind put to rest. Where do I turn?

-------------------------
-CPUs - 2 x Opteron 246
-Mainboard - Tyan Tiger K8W S2875ANRF
-Memory - 1GB, 2 x CORSAIR 2 x512MB PC3200, ECC Reg)
-Graphics - MSI 5900XT 128DDR
-HDD - 2 x Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 10k, 8MB Cache, 74GB
-PSU - Antech Truepower EPS12v 550W
-Audigy 2Zs sound
-Canopus ADVC1394 Capture
-2 x 12cm Stealth fans
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information