Increase font size
Topic Title: Iwill DK8X, DK8N probs.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/08/2004 01:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/08/2004 01:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
technikgc

Hi 2 u all!

I´m trying to get a new thread started and would like to hear from your experiences
with the Iwill DK8N and the DK8X.
We currently have those boards at work to test them out as possible future options
for our customers, but as with all new (well, they both aren´t THAT new) things, we
ran in more then just a few problems.
(To be fair: 3 weeks ago we had the TYAN Thunder S2885 and even that has (still)
more then just one problem.)

DK8X
AMD-Chipset
1st issue: It is impossible to say if the board will hang, when the operating system
tries to reboot. In 9 from 10 cases it will just hang there with no monitor output,
desperately trying to boot up. (This is VERY annoying, if only for our customers)
We tried Windows 2000, 2003, Redhat Enterprise Linux 3, but everywhere the same.
Interestingly enough, this looks like it has something to do with the AGP-slot,
because it didn´t happen as consequently with a plugged in PCI-graphiccard.

2nd issue: One of our customers needs a software, which is a real time kernel,
running seperately from windows and this kernel is freezing, when all drivers for the
board are installed.( It also freezed one time, because of the driver of a plugged in
Intel PRO 100)
This is VERY annoying, because it rules out this board for this customer.

DK8N
Nvidia-Chipset
1nd issue: We tried to install a graphiccard from colorgraphic with 4 outputs, but
Windows only found 2 of them.( The other 2 are still missing)

2rd issue: Because of issue 1, we tried a PCI-graphiccard, but the board wouldn´t
accept it.

1st annoyance: I don´t now how well disciplined one has to be, but the installation of
all the drivers under windows 2000 is a nightmare. The nvidia-ethernet driver
supplied on the CD isn´t working and after several reboots and useless other drivers
I somehow got it working, but am not sure if I can tell how.The problem is, I should,
in the event that a customer is reinstalling his operating system and calls me, to tell
him how.

2nd annoyance: You just can´t install Redhat Enterprise Linux, because of the Nvidia
Chipset.

I emailed Iwill about those issues, but the only reply was list of guaranteed
components from them nad that´s it.

My major problem is, that I WANT to show our customers, that there IS something
other than XEON out there, but with such child-illnesses (the DK8X is from 11/2003)
it is very hard to argument.

Sorry for this rant-like posting, but I did have to tell someone.

The question to all: Did any of you had the same or similar problems?
 10/08/2004 02:33 PM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

As far as I know most people have the Tyan Thunder K8W S2885. I have not read anything about those issues you had.

What about these threads:
http://forums.amd.com/index.ph...pic=...83&hl=dk8x&st=0' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.ph...pic=19583&hl=dk8x&st=0
http://forums.amd.com/index.ph...pic=...c=25444&hl=dk8x' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=25444&hl=dk8x

So, that's all about DK8X-boards I can show you.

-------------------------
Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

10/10/2004 01:16 PM

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

Okay, some of your problems sound like ones I had with my Opteron 146. Your first problem with Windows getting stuck trying to boot up. I went through that with Widows XP. It got stuck on that screen with Microsoft Windows and the little boot indicator ball that keeps floating by in a little cylinder to say "the system is working". The computer would sit there a while on this screen and then after about two minutes the comp would shut down. At some point earlier with a different AGP card I was able to get my system to boot up just fine, but the graphics were terrible. And I'm talking terrible graphics from a nVidia 5950 Ultra FX GT - which should not have been happening! So I put in a Radeon ATI 9800 PRO and that's when Windows started doing the thing I listed up above. So I went back to a cheapy GeForce card and got the system to boot. Then Windows just started self destructing. And I mean it just started losing parts of itself and error messages kept popping up and I started losing my mind in the process. That's when I came to the AMD Forums and found out that the problem could very well be my Power Supply Unit. I upgraded to an Antec 550 WATT PSU and all of my troubles dissappeared. Of course another issue I had was that I needed to purchase another Windows XP license since I was using the software on both of my two desktops. But now my system is running fine and I'm using that power hungry 9800 PRO. And from what I've heard multi processor comps need even better PSUs than single CPU comps.

-------------------------
asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information