Increase font size
Topic Title: Server - dual opteron
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/18/2004 11:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/18/2004 11:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dltberry

I just upgraded a Windows 2000 Server by installing a dual Opteron using the Tyan 2885 with 8 GB RAM. Everything appears to be working, but Windows seems to think it is using a single processor with 4 GB RAM. BIOS settings reflect the dual processors and all 8 GB.

Device manager shows a Standard PC. I am running Service Pack 4. I installed the AMD drivers from the Tyan CD.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 12/20/2004 03:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Was it installed as a single cpu then you added the second CPU, or was it built form scratch as an SMP system?, if you upgraded from a single cpu you might have to re install inorder to use the SMP HAL/kernel or maybe just update the computer HAL in control panel /system.

If the above is the case wait for a bit more expert advice on upgrading the HAL as its somthing I am not very clued up on and if done wrong you will have to do full reinstall.

PS I am assuming that win2k server has support for dual cpu's without and additional licenses from M$
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information