Increase font size
Topic Title: Win64 Fails To Install Sil3114 Raid Drivers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/09/2004 11:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/09/2004 11:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Johnnie_Mneumonic

I have a FX-51 platform with a Leadtek mobo. My hard drives don't have the newer SATA plugs, so I'm using a Sil3114 PCI card as a workaround to RAID 0 the two drives together.

After downloading the latest (actually there's only one version out there) Win 64 bit RAID drivers from Sil. Image, Windows 64 fails the OS installation with a parser error (or some crap like that). More specifically after I hit F6 and it asks me for the insert the floppy with the driver files, it fails at that point.

Has anyone run across this problem and managed to find a solution?

Thanks for the help.
-Johnnie

P.S. Is there such a thing as a socket 940 nForce 3 250 mobo, or is socket 940 dead?
 06/10/2004 06:47 AM

Author Icon
redclawkefar

take from this thread... and quoting myself...
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=16229' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=16229

QUOTE well lets see... i had an issue with having 2 pci scsi cards, one was an old legacy so i ditched it and changed the pci bus load order. (the original bios was set to 'last to first' and the new one is in 'ascend' order so its no longer an issue.)

the only thing that comes to mind is, one day i think i tried installing xp at least 15 times and wouldn't get past loading the right SATA drivers. then i noticed that if on initial powerup, if the SATA driver floppy was in, after hitting F6 it would crsh the install. weird i know, but if i powered up, floppy out, then hit F6, stick floppy in, it would find the right driver on the floppy.

i never had an issue with not finding the ide drive since i would install them after xp installed onto my scsi drive which runs off my adaptec 29320 pci-x card

hope that helps

-------------------------
SYSTEM-1: 2x Viewsonic VX900-2 19"| Tyan S2885ANRF (Rev.A, bios v2.07) | 1x ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB | 2x AMD Opteron 248-HE Single-Core CPU | 8x 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS Series ECC Reg. (CMX512RE-3200LL) | 2x Seagate LVD 36.7Gb U320 SCSI 10,000rpm RAID0 (ST336607LW) | 1x Seagate LVD 36.7Gb U320 SCSI 1
 06/12/2004 12:05 PM

Author Icon
Johnnie_Mneumonic

I wish the fix was as simple as having the floppy in the drive while booting. I think the problem is either with the 64bit Sil 3114 RAID driver, or Win64 itself. I don't know what Win64 does when you specify the driver file location. I'm going to guess some sort of compilation occurs and that's where the whole installation bombs out...
 06/12/2004 03:02 PM

Author Icon
redclawkefar

just to be sure... you are using the RAID driver set and not the ide set, right? are you trying to boot from the RAID or is that secondary storage? i ask just cause you could try booting off an ide drive than install drives after win64 is in...

SYSTEM-1: 2x Viewsonic VX900-2 19"| Tyan S2885ANRF (Rev.A, bios v2.07) | 1x ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB | 2x AMD Opteron 248-HE Single-Core CPU | 8x 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS Series ECC Reg. (CMX512RE-3200LL) | 2x Seagate LVD 36.7Gb U320 SCSI 10,000rpm RAID0 (ST336607LW) | 1x Seagate LVD 36.7Gb U320 SCSI 1
 06/23/2004 11:53 PM

Author Icon
Hydrad

I am having problems also. I have a Tyan S2885 with 2-250 processors. I have had several SiL 3114 problems that I have worked through, but I am still stalled.

The first thing that I figured out is that you need to keep the drivers in a subdirectory on the floppy. Keep the same directory sturcture that you had when you unzipped the driver package from SI, keeping the textsetup.oem file in the root of the floppy. If they arnt exactly in this order you will get an error.

I have gotten WIN XP64 to recognize the RAID drivers from the floppy, but it continues on through the install and does not let me set up the RAID or format the drives. So, it eventually gets to a point where it says it cannot find any hard disk drives to install the OS on.

I am pretty much stuck at this point. I might try setting up and formatting the RAID under regular XP and then try to reinstall 64 bit XP. I am not holding my breath, but who knows?

Any recommendations?
 02/11/2005 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Khipset

I too am having problems getting the SiL3114 Win64 drivers getting to load.
I use(d) a SATA drive on my 2600+ machine, so I knew ahead of time to copy the drivers to a floppy. So I did, but I could never get it to load them - it was too long ago to remember any speicific errors.
So instead of using the SiL3114 I used the nVidia 2port on that was also onboard, and it doesn't require any drivers for winsetup because it appears to Windows as if it were an IDE controller.
Once I got into windows I tried loading the drivers again, it would come up with an error saying "cannot install this hardware" but it would then make the category SCSI and RAID controllers, and Mass Storage Controller would be in there with the yellow exclamation mark. I've tried a bunch of things to try and get it to work, I've reformated a bunch of times(for other reasons) but still none of the times I try to install it does it work, even today I downloaded the latest drivers from Silicon Image and it still doesn't work.
The only driver diff between 32bit and 64bit should be that 64bit requries a new signature, but it acts as if the drivers start to install w/ the 3114, and it shouldn't even do that if it didn't have the signature.

btw, my system is: http://www.khipset.net/personal/64.htm' ">http://www.khipset.net/personal/64.htm
(too lazy to post it all)
 02/12/2005 05:18 PM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

QUOTE (Hydrad @ Jun 24 2004, 05:53 AM) I am having problems also.  I have a Tyan S2885 with 2-250 processors.  I have had several SiL 3114 problems that I have worked through, but I am still stalled.

The first thing that I figured out is that you need to keep the drivers in a subdirectory on the floppy.  Keep the same directory sturcture that you had when you unzipped the driver package from SI, keeping the textsetup.oem file in the root of the floppy.  If they arnt exactly in this order you will get an error.

I have gotten WIN XP64 to recognize the RAID drivers from the floppy, but it continues on through the install and does not let me set up the RAID or format the drives.  So, it eventually gets to a point where it says it cannot find any hard disk drives to install the OS on.

I am pretty much stuck at this point.  I might try setting up and formatting the RAID under regular XP and then try to reinstall 64 bit XP.  I am not holding my breath, but who knows?

Any recommendations?
You will already have to build the RAID setup BEFORE you try to install windows. It is NOT a "by windows-controlled software RAID". So if you just plug in two fresh drives and try to install windows with the RAID-drivers it will fail.
Take the manual and check for "creating a RAID-Setup" or something like this.
Windows setup will just be able to format an already created disk array - it can not create the disk array. (Server versions of Windows can do this softwarebased but it won't be as good)

--------------

Edit:
QUOTE The only driver diff between 32bit and 64bit should be that 64bit requries a new signature, but it acts as if the drivers start to install w/ the 3114, and it shouldn't even do that if it didn't have the signature.

No. 64bit drivers will be completely different. They are NOT just 32bit drivers with a new signature. The whole driver model of Windows64 has changed - to 64bit

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

02/12/2005 08:33 PM

Author Icon
Khipset

http://msdn.microsoft.com/libr...ult....bit_windows.asp' ">http://msdn.microsoft.com/libr...ing_64_bit_windows.asp

QUOTE No. 64bit drivers will be completely different. They are NOT just 32bit drivers with a new signature. The whole driver model of Windows64 has changed - to 64bit

mmmmk, w/e u say skipper.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information