Topic Title: MSI K8T Master + 2 x Opteron 242 = No boot
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/30/2004 07:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/29/2005 01:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Riddickule

I have recently purchased the AMD opteron part # osa244cco5ah. I was wondering if anyone has been able to run this alone and in a pair with another AH on the master2-far board?

MSI Master2-far
2Gig Samsung ECC/REG PC3200
Antec ESP 550w
 05/03/2005 09:13 PM

Author Icon
beast2

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one out here having the same problems with this board. I am on my second MSI Master Far 2 and all I get are both processor fans spinning at high RPM and I have to leave all of the IDE connectors unplugged otherwise the the attached drives will not power up........what on earth is going on. I am using an ATX power supply .....tried two different ones. If I get the recommended power supply will it work? I have seen one post here that suggests it will: (swapping board only when Tyan failed and it worked), and I've seen a post that suggest it will not: (ordered new PSU and when arrived same story). I'm using 2 GB in 4 512 sticks of Corsair (Samsung) memory modules..and yes they are ECC. What next? Return get a new and then add new recommend PSU, or try new recommend PSU first?
 05/03/2005 10:19 PM

Author Icon
zoom314

QUOTE (beast2 @ May 3 2005, 05:13 PM) I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one out here having the same problems with this board.  I am on my second MSI Master Far 2 and all I get are both processor fans spinning at high RPM and I have to leave all of the IDE connectors unplugged otherwise the the attached drives will not power up........what on earth is going on.  I am using an ATX power supply .....tried two different ones.  If I get the recommended power supply will it work?  I have seen one post here that suggests it will: (swapping board only when Tyan failed and it worked), and I've seen a post that suggest it will not: (ordered new PSU and when arrived same story).  I'm using 2 GB in  4 512 sticks of Corsair (Samsung) memory modules..and yes they are ECC.  What next?  Return get a new and then add new recommend PSU, or try new recommend PSU first?
Funny I run a Master2-FAR 24/7 with an Enermax eg465p-ve(460w 20pin psu +12v rail @ 33Amps) with these parts:

WD 80Gb 7200rpm 2Mb cache hdd,
NEC ND1100A DVD+RW drive,
Teac 1.44Mb fdd,
usb Teac 1.44Mb fdd,
usb Acer 56x cd-rom drive,
usb MS 5 button mouse,
usb MS keyboard,
usb Canon CanoScan D1250U2F flatbed scanner,
usb Micro innovations Micro Stack 6 port hub,
Belkin USB 5 port pci card,
Belkin 4 port KVM switch,
D-Link DWL-G520 SuperG wireless pci card(H/W:B3 F/W:4.10, It will fit in a PCI-X slot (eXtended, Not Express),
eVGA FX5700 Ultra card w/128Mb ram(overclocked to 500/1000MHz),
Corsair CMX512RE-3200LL Dimm(7-2-3-2.0 @ 222MHz, 1.65v vdimm),
2-Opteron C0 stepping 244 cpus @ 2.0GHz each(1.55v vcore),
1-Delta 120x38mm 150cfm fan,
1-Thermaltke a1506 80x25mm 75cfm fan,
2-32.5cfm 80x25mm intake fans.
I run the latest chipset driver still(Previous to 4.56).

Even though I like this motherboard, It saddens Me to say this, But I'll be selling It as soon as I can afford the stuff below(The MSI Master2-FAR is not able to use dual core Opteron cpus as It can't handle the current MSI said):

Tyan s2895 K8WE motherboard[$478.10],
Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 case(accepts 2 power supplies, 1st Top & 2nd Bottom)[$160.00],
Sapphire x800XL 256Mb pci-e card[$310.00 aprox],
2-Thermalright XP-120 heatsinks[$110 aprox](I have 3 more 150cfm fans),
Corsair CMX512RE-3200LL Dimm(2nd one)[$145.00 pricwatch.com],
and a 2nd Enermax 460w psu(24pin)[$120 aprox.].

But that's about $1,323.00 or so from now.

-------------------------
My Blog' ">http://zoom314.blogspot.com/, My Website' ">http://mysite.verizon.net/zoom314/
Joker1: 2-2.2GHz Opteron 248 E4 Mar&Jun 2006[Supermicro H8DCE]Cat5
Joker2: *2.40GHz[MSI K8T Neo2-F]Cat5
(*2.40 (6.80?)GHz crunchin for SETI with the Athlonmb.com Seti Killer Frogs' ">http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)<
 05/04/2005 04:18 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

QUOTE (beast2 @ May 4 2005, 03:13 AM) I'm using 2 GB in 4 512 sticks of Corsair (Samsung) memory modules..and yes they are ECC.
ECC is not important. They have to be REGISTERED!

So is you memory ECC REG?

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·Mainboard - Tyan Thunder K8W S2885ANRF
·RAM - 4*Corsair TwinX1024RE-3200LL (4GB, 8*512MB, DDR400, 2-3-2)
·Graphics - HIS IceQ-II X800Pro
·HDD - Western Digital Raptor WD740GD, 74GB, 10k
·RAID - 3Ware 7850, 64bit PCI, 8chn hardware RAID
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB
·Optical - 1*SlimSize CD-ROM; 1*NEC7441 DVD-RW
·Sound - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

05/04/2005 12:00 PM

Author Icon
zoom314

QUOTE (beast2 @ May 3 2005, 05:13 PM) I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one out here having the same problems with this board.  I am on my second MSI Master Far 2 and all I get are both processor fans spinning at high RPM and I have to leave all of the IDE connectors unplugged otherwise the the attached drives will not power up........what on earth is going on.  I am using an ATX power supply .....tried two different ones.  If I get the recommended power supply will it work?  I have seen one post here that suggests it will: (swapping board only when Tyan failed and it worked), and I've seen a post that suggest it will not: (ordered new PSU and when arrived same story).  I'm using 2 GB in  4 512 sticks of Corsair (Samsung) memory modules..and yes they are ECC.  What next?  Return get a new and then add new recommend PSU, or try new recommend PSU first?
The Corsair ram is It TwinX1024 or TwinX2048 ram? If It's TwinX1024 It's registered ram and It has ecc.

My Blog' ">http://zoom314.blogspot.com/, My Website' ">http://mysite.verizon.net/zoom314/
(*2.40 (6.80?)GHz crunchin for SETI with the Athlonmb.com Seti Killer Frogs' ">http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)<
 08/12/2005 11:12 PM

Author Icon
niedae

hello,
thought I would put my experience down here. I have a master far 2 with dual 242s and 4 Gigs of Dataram DDR3300 / 400Mhz ECC/REG memory. Bought the procs the same day, so they were matched and from the same Date Code.

had a lot of problems upon initial setup with the POSTing and beeping and found I cannot run 8 Gigs (4 2 gig Dimms)....just doesn't want to take them. So running with 4 Gigs now.

I use an nVidia based 440 8X card from eVGA.com and soundblaster Audigy sound card.

Dual 250 Gig SATA in a mirrored raid running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

The motherboard is definitely a questionable item. Very lame BIOS and too sensitive!

So, had the machine running fine for about 4-5 month and when I came back, the power had gone leaving the server dead upon arrival. No UPS.

For the entire day, I've been resetting, removing the BIOS battery, trying the BIOS jumper, removing memory, drives, sound card, video card, etc... all in an effort to get the machine to boot up again.

The best I could get to was power on, for a few seconds, then it shuts off, and I have a blinking power light, but no power (no fans, you can hear the HDD shutdown and land). Then I would try to reset or power up by pressing and holding the power button....I would get power, fans, and disks spinning, but no POST.

So....after much frustration, I decided the PSU must be bad and potentially memory, so I went home and got spares. I had put a 550W Stealth Lantec power supply which has the 24 pin, 8pin, and 4pin power connectors in the chassis. I removed this power supply and put back the original 430W that came with the chassis. The chassis is a Thermaltake lanfire (has a nice lighted fire display that shows up in the front of the case). The original power supply has the 20 pin and 4 pin connectors only.

I put the original back in and the machine powered up just fine. I also tried the memory and found the memory to be fine. The machine also works fine with IBM DDR2700/ 333Mhz memory....but still only up to 2 gigs. I have the latest BIOS flahsed, but since I don't really need an 8 gig machine, I am not bothering with trying to get it to work with that much.

Also as a side note, you cannot plug in the power connectors "incorrectly" on the motherboard, as they are keyed with square and chamferred plugs, but it is good to keep the "SSI" stickers if you can. Also, you cannot run an AGP Pro card if you do not have the SSI power.

Hope this help someone. I do not think I will stick with MSI anymore. Very very very dissapointed with the quality of the system. I give it a D+ at best for ease of use and quality.

However, I do have to say this machine kicks butt. Renders DVDs without breaking a sweat.

Thermaltake Lanfire
dual 250 Gig SATA in a raid one
Dual Opteron 242s
K8T-master far 2
4 Gigs of 400 Mhz Dataram memory (2 sticks)
/ph34r.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='ph34r.gif' />
 08/12/2005 11:36 PM

Author Icon
zoom314

QUOTE(niedae @ Aug 12 2005, 07:12 PM)hello,
thought I would put my experience down here. I have a master far 2 with dual 242s and 4 Gigs of Dataram DDR3300 / 400Mhz ECC/REG memory.    Bought the procs the same day, so they were matched and from the same Date Code.

had a lot of problems upon initial setup with the POSTing and beeping and found I cannot run 8 Gigs (4 2 gig Dimms)....just doesn't want to take them. So running with 4 Gigs now.

I use an nVidia based 440 8X card from eVGA.com and soundblaster Audigy sound card.

Dual 250 Gig SATA in a mirrored raid running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

The motherboard is definitely a questionable item.  Very lame BIOS and too sensitive!

So, had the machine running fine for about 4-5 month and when I came back, the power had gone leaving the server dead upon arrival.  No UPS.

For the entire day, I've been resetting, removing the BIOS battery, trying the BIOS jumper, removing memory, drives, sound card, video card, etc... all in an effort to get the machine to boot up again. 

The best I could get to was power on, for a few seconds, then it shuts off, and I have a blinking power light, but no power (no fans, you can hear the HDD shutdown and land).  Then I would try to reset or power up by pressing and holding the power button....I would get power, fans, and disks spinning, but no POST.

So....after much frustration, I decided the PSU must be bad and potentially memory, so I went home and got spares.  I had put a 550W Stealth Lantec power supply which has the 24 pin, 8pin, and 4pin power connectors in the chassis.  I removed this power supply and put back the original 430W that came with the chassis.  The chassis is a Thermaltake lanfire (has a nice lighted fire display that shows up in the front of the case).  The original power supply has the 20 pin and 4 pin connectors only.

I put the original back in and the machine powered up just fine.  I also tried the memory and found the memory to be fine.  The machine also works fine with IBM DDR2700/ 333Mhz memory....but still only up to 2 gigs.  I have the latest BIOS flahsed, but since I don't really need an 8 gig machine, I am not bothering with trying to get it to work with that much.

Also as a side note, you cannot plug in the power connectors "incorrectly" on the motherboard, as they are keyed with square and chamferred plugs, but it is good to keep the "SSI" stickers if you can.  Also, you cannot run an AGP Pro card if you do not have the SSI power. 

Hope this help someone.  I do not think I will stick with MSI anymore.  Very very very dissapointed with the quality of the system.  I give it a D+ at best for ease of use and quality.

However, I do have to say this machine kicks butt.  Renders DVDs without breaking a sweat.

Thermaltake Lanfire
dual 250 Gig SATA in a raid one
Dual Opteron 242s
K8T-master far 2
4 Gigs of 400 Mhz Dataram memory (2 sticks)
/ph34r.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='ph34r.gif' />
[right][snapback]480172[/snapback][/right]

Well when I had an MSI Master2-FAR I had an Enermax eg465p-ve(wc) 460w psu and It powered everything just fine 24/7 and that included an FX5700 Ultra w/128Mb ram, a DVD/CD burner, an 80Gb hdd and a fdd plus about 4 or so USB devices. The Enermax EG651P-VE FM 550W ATX PSU has 36Amps on the +12v rail and It has the 24 pin, 4 pin and 8pin connectors.

10/17/2006 07:19 AM

Author Icon
lotuswizard

I have had a similar problem to everyone on here. I have had my K8T Master 2 setup for almost 3 years now and I have never had any problems with it other than it's burned up 2-3 PSU's. I'm running a liquid cooled system by Koolance. The pump for the coolant went out and I had to get another one so it was down for like a month. Got the new pump...filled the coolant and fired it back up. Everything was fine for the first boot. I had to restart for some updates though and that's when all [content edited] broke loose.

I tried to start the computer up again and it wouldn't post or do anything but run the fans and spool up the harddrives, but it won't get to the BIOS or anything. So I have tried EVERYTHING to get it to work. First was the new power supply...nothing. Tried each CPU individually...each piece of memory seperatly and in different slots...taken all drives and cards out...no beeps and no posts, period. This was a system that ran perfectly for over 2 years. I changed NOTHING...it just stopped working.

Figured it must be a motherboard issue...so I drove down to MSI headquarters here in the US in City of Industry, CA and got an RMA replacement. Brand new MSI K8T Master 2 board...hooked everything up exactly the way it was when it was working...press power...and...nothing

So now I have a brand new board with the exact same setup, and it still won't do anything. I do not know what to do now. I have to get this computer up and running in the next day or 2 because it is how I make my living (video editor). Here's my setup...someone please help me.

MSI K8T Master 2
2 x AMD Opteron 242 processors (yes they're matched...I bought them together)
2 x Corsair 3200 512MB Registered Memory
some Nvidia graphics card (can't remember which model)
Soundblaster Audigy soundcard
2 x SATA Harddrives (75gig Raptor and 250gig Seagate)
1 x IDE Harddrive (250gig Maxtor)
 10/17/2006 11:14 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

Don't lough but:

Please check the Power and reset button. Once I had a quiet similar problem and after taking the system to a friend (that didn't know a reason for the problem) he said: "Your reset button looks strange" ... it was stuck - resetting the system all the time. I don't know how it happened but that was the reason.

So: Unplug the power button and the reset button from the board and start your board with a jumper or screwdriver (be careful to hit the right pins and to don't damage anything).
Maybe you have some luck and it's that easy.

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

10/18/2006 02:00 AM

Author Icon
lotuswizard

Well...broke it all down again to the bare minimum. Motherboard, processors, video card, memory and power supply on a wooden table. First try got it to post with both processors..,had memory in first and 3rd slots instead of 1st and 2nd. Second try same setup yielded no boot. Tried all cominations of processors and memory...nothing. Turns out it will only run with 1 processor not 2. Both processors work in single cpu mode, but when trying to run both it doesn't work. So the computer is up now but only with 1 processor. Sucks [content edited]. Brand new motherboard, but I think it's MSI's board that is screwing everything up. Going to buy Tyan in the future. I think I'm gonna Ebay the K8T and get a new Tyan K8W.
 10/18/2006 07:23 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

Well, I never heared of it but maybe one of the HT-links of the CPUs is dead. That is - at least theoretically - possible but I doubt that you can test it without a "known good" roughly identical system.

A BIOS-update won't help if it is hardware related... You already received a new board... you ironed out all kinds of shorts by running it on a wooden table. :-( Sad story.

But you are absolutely sure that they replaced the board and did not just return the same board that you handed over to them? (checked the serial-#, some components, what-ever...)

Once upon a time (when 2x CD writers were still something rare) I had a problem with mine, returned it to the shop and they said that they would send it to the manufactorer to get it replaced. After two weeks I picked it up again and they said: "The unit has been replaced!" When I opened the package there were the same non-standard screws and the pink anti static bag that I added to the package. There was just a new sticker with type, model, etc on top and you could still see that there was anotherone below it. The drive was still as defective as before. I don't know what they did (except of "adding a new sticker") but they did not replace or fix anything.
Of course that is something that should not happen. But ever since I recorded the serials before I RMA anything because I don't want to be tricked.

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

10/18/2006 09:36 PM

Author Icon
lotuswizard

quote:

Originally posted by: derGhostrider

But you are absolutely sure that they replaced the board and did not just return the same board that you handed over to them? (checked the serial-#, some components, what-ever...)

Yeah...I went to MSI's headquarters and watched the guy take my board and then I watched him get a brand new one out of another box and hand it to me. So yes it is a brand new one. I think MSI's boards just suck. I mean something had to go wrong...it worked for almost 3 years with no problems. Why now that I have a new board would it suddenly stop working with 2 processors? I'm going to get the Tyan K8W I think or one of Tyan's other new boards to replace this one. Somebody on ebay can buy my new MSI K8T.
 10/19/2006 03:28 AM

Author Icon
derGhostrider
Case Modder

As you can see in my signature I have a K8W. I'd suggest that you buy a newer board - at least the K8WE. The K8W is sometimes tricky if you want it to be stable for 3d intense applications (like games).

Regards,
  Ghostrider

·CPUs - 2*Opteron 246
·RAID-HDDs - 5*WD800JB

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information