Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual AMD
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/11/2003 07:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/11/2003 07:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JohnBoi

Gday ya'll... just purchased a MSI-6501 K7D Master v1.0
and i recieved it with 2xAMD Palaminos 1700+ they are sittin quite hot in a server case 50-60idle... i think one cpu is gooonnnneee... as it doesn't compile properly so i decided to upgraid and get dual 2800+ but then i heard something about SMP and it has to be "unlocked/enabled" cause i really like SMP saves having one cpu runnin at full, heating up something chronic but to have each cpu runnin' 50-50% which i like anyway... i was just wondering where or what do i have to look for when upgraiding? or if any of you have dual *cause they have to have the same source code apparently, be purchased within the same week* Amd AthlonXP anywhere from 2500+ to 2800+ which is the max stats my mobo can support... if any of you have any futher questions PM me or post and i'll gladly respond.

EDIT; Also would like to hear about any Hs/f recommendations, i'm making a bit of a shopping list being so close to Xmas.

Thanx in advance.
 12/11/2003 07:11 PM

Author Icon
SDA

Athlon XPs aren't supposed to run dual, you have to get Athlon MPs for that. XPs might work, but they probably won't, and it's really not worth the risk anyway.

If you're looking for a good heatsink on a budget, the Thermalright SK-7 (doesn't come with fan, takes 80mms) and Spire FalconRock II are both good choices. If you can afford to spend a little more, go for a Thermalright SLK-900A (doesn't come with fan, takes 92mms).

-------------------------
DEC Pentium X2 5200+ w/ HyperCache (Ezra core)
Asus M7NCD-MAX3 (OPTi Vendetta 82C760)
6x Generic 32MB PC2700 RDRAM (50ns SIMMs)
2x nVidia Millennium X1800 Duo (SLI mode)
12x (daisy-chained) Quantum Medalist 180GXP (w/ separate SCSI-1 adapter)

"Oh, you started a Rube Goldberg machine. A Rube Goldberg machine... called JUSTICE." <a href='http://www.boomspeed.com/old_camper/amdforumsircchat.ht
 12/11/2003 09:10 PM

Author Icon
JohnBoi

So... yeh i got dual MP's atm... if i want to upgraid do i just ask for dual MP's... add hs/f and then run it and it will work fine... i don't have to do anything to the chip itself or in bios or what ever!?
 12/12/2003 01:52 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

You should update your BIOS to the latest version before installing new CPUs.
Other than that, you won't have to do any modifications to the CPUs if you're using Athlon MP's.
Get the retail(boxed)version of the Athlon MP 2800+, as it will come with a HSF and 3yr-warranty. The retail HSF is not the best, but it'll be fine if you're not overclocking(and OCing isn't really an option for a dual-setup anyways).

The correct OPN(ordering part number) for an Athlon MP 2800+ is 'AMSN2800DUT4C' - ask for this and you should get exactly what you need.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information