AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How does (two) Athlon MP preform with Games?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/06/2003 08:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/06/2003 08:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ikke_nl

Hi,

I want to upgrade my computer, but I am in doubt which configuration I should take: a single cpu configuation of a multiple cpu configuation.
So I am looking for some kind of benchmark with a Athlon MP configuation running Games, like Quake III, EverQuest and (with the beta of) DOOM III.

Does anyone know a location where this is explored?

Thx.
 12/09/2003 03:15 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

In most cases, running games on a dual-CPU system won't make any difference...unless the game is specifically optimized for it(dunno if there are any SMP/multithreading-optimized games...it'll be only a handful... if any)

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 12/09/2003 12:38 PM

Author Icon
ikke_nl

Oh, according to several websites explaining Multiple CPU-systems, it depends on the number of threads in a program. Every thread can be handled by a CPU. I took a game like D2: Lord of destruction and I saw that it works with 11 threads, even 15 when hosting a mulitplayer game. And the latter is what I am interested about: Better performance then playing (and hosting) games.
And since the system req. for (at least the beta of) DOOM III are very high, I wouldn't be suprised if DOOM III is multiple CPU compatible.

Or is this a too simple way of thinking? Perhaps are the threads not so easely divided in the available CPU's? And is it possible to assign the OS to CPU #1 and a program solely on CPU #2?

It's too bad that a dual (or more) CPU system is expensive, otherwise I could just find out myself. Anyone here selling one ?

Thx for the reply.

Ikke_nl.
 12/09/2003 12:50 PM

Author Icon
pcy

Hi,

You have it right. If the game is multi threaded it will use both CPUs.

The next question is whether you will then find that the CPUs or the RAM bandwidth are the actual bottleneck.

If the CPUs are the limiting factor, you could get upto 1.8 times the performance from a dual that you get from just one CPU.

But if RAM is the limit (and it is for some games) then you might find that (for instance) an XP2500 running a 200Mhz FSB would walk all over a dual MP.

Peter
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information