AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Where to get a motherboard for MP 2800+?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2003 08:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2003 08:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pmdyer

There seems to be 3 manufacturers that offer a motherboard for the MP 2800+. The ones I have been looking at are:

1) Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW

2) MSI K7D Master (ms-6501)

3) Tyan Tiger S2466N-4M

It has been difficult to find a place to buy these motherboards. And even more difficult to find out which is best. Meaning benchmarks?

Does anyone know where to buy and where to check some benchmarks on these motherboards using the MP CPU?
 11/21/2003 10:45 PM

Author Icon
Scott

Good old newegg.com have some duals in stock.
They don't have the MSI one, but they did have these

http://www.newegg.com/app/View...asp?...tion=13-151-112' ">http://www.newegg.com/app/View...description=13-151-112

http://www.newegg.com/app/View...asp?...tion=13-152-008' ">http://www.newegg.com/app/View...description=13-152-008

http://www.newegg.com/app/View...asp?...tion=13-128-152' ">http://www.newegg.com/app/View...description=13-128-152
 11/23/2003 08:01 AM

Author Icon
pcy

Does anybody know if any of these mobos can run a 166Mhz FSB, for XPs modified into MPs?

Thanks

Peter
 11/23/2003 02:31 PM

Author Icon
Xtc4u

Not sure but if you get an unlocked chip you can just changed the multiplier to match the speed. The MSI board is a very solid performer.

-------------------------
Search the stars with overclockers.com seti team.

Main.............................................Secondary
<span style='color:#00
 11/27/2003 04:53 PM

Author Icon
Mustang Mac

I've built 16 different systems in the past 6 months and by far the most solid performers are the Tyan Thunder K7 boards. Of course, it depends on if overclocking is a priority.

-------------------------
hello. AGAIN.
 11/27/2003 08:25 PM

Author Icon
pcy

I'm not loking for a particualrly stable machine - its for a render server for 3D work. 1 crash per year would be entirely acceptable. I could even live with 1 a month.

But I do need every last once of performance. I may have to build several machines.

The thing about the 166Mhz FSB is that at 133Mhz I think the machines are heavily bandwidth limited.

Peter
 12/01/2003 11:29 AM

Author Icon
DavidRedwine

I bought the GA-7DPXDW-P from Gigabyte. I have 2 Athlon 2800+ MP cpus mounted and running. It has been stable since I built it 3 months ago. Getting the Promise RAID (onboard) array setup was a little tricky, but the motherboard came with an instruction book for the Promise RAID Function. The RAID array wouldn't "stripe" at first, until I deleted the array and re-created it a second time, so far so good on that. I boot to an IDE drive (80G) and capture video to the Stripe set (2 @ 120G drives).

With a standard PCI card (Osprey 220) I can capture 59 FPS (Frames Per Second) without dropping frames.

The Osprey 220 has a problem handling interrupts (audio won't work) with the AMD 768 Chipset, and the solution was to upgrade to a PCI-X version (the Osprey 240 card). The problem is really not the Chipset per se, just with the way the Osprey handled the interrupt routine. The Osprey 240 card uses the exact same drivers, so it was an easy plug and go upgrade.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the folks at viewcast and the Osprey products. They worked through the AMD / 768 / 2800+ / PCI issues with me and were very interested in customer satisfaction. They were the ones who diagnosed the true problem (I was dropping Audio and Video whenever I elected to try to capture Osprey Audio along with Osprey Video using just the 220 card) and then they SENT ME THE UPGRADED PCI-X card in order to fix my problem!

My system just has one Gig of Ram, but so far that has been ok for my application.

I am not doing 3d, but rendering the video stream into multiple speed "streaming" files REALLY TAKES A LOT of CPU. If I ask for too many streams to be rendered, I can max out the cpu fairly quickly....so I have taken to authoring my broadband streaming files in separate "working sessions" (In the am I do broadband stream authoring, and in the pm I do the dial-up modem streams).

I have a couple of DVD writers SONY DRU-510A (for converting my company's vhs tapes into dvd media, (using My-DVD software that came with the drives) but I haven't yet got around to this part of my project yet.

I use an ASUS V7100 PRO 64 video card, and it has been a good fit for this application.

The Monitor is the Sony 171 MP AND IT IS AWSOME for video monitoring and playback.

The memory is (two) Kingston KVR266X72RC/512 (512mb) 266Mhz DDR PC2100 Reg ECC DIMM CL2.5 and has been very stable.

All in All, I am very pleased with this video authoring platform for publishing traditional video products into Internet multimedia streaming presentations (each video also has accompanying powerpoint slides rendered into jpgs)

If you have questions or would like to know more drop me a mail @ david.redwine@greatacts.com (P.S. greatacts.com is not the site where the streaming media is, it is pay per view content so I can only show it by appointment unless you want to use your credit card to view dental industry videos (not likely, I think) dr
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information