Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon vs. MP vs. XP
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/26/2004 01:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/26/2004 01:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tux_Rules

Hello everyone!

I have a Tyan TigerMP 2460 motherboard (very first dual AMD). According to their site ( ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_S2460_100.pdf' ">ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_S2460_100.pdf ), the board will support up to a 1 gig. Athlon proc. or the 1500+ to 1900+ proc. Is this correct? I know it also depends on which board version ( http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_tg_mp.html)' ">http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_tg_mp.html) as well as the second listed will states only the MP upto 1.4g will work (ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_S2460_100.pdf).
It seems to me when I first bought the board that the pin count was different between the 2. I am also seeing that on eBay sellers are claiming that the XP proc. will work in place of the MP. Is this true as well?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-------------------------
www.fija.org
www.mandrake-linux.com/en/
www.opera.com
 04/26/2004 02:42 PM

Author Icon
Greyhound

A single Athlon (model 4, non-XP/MP) might work on your motherboard, but you won't be able to use two of them.

Out of the box(i.e. without any modifications), only Athlon MP's will work in a dual-CPU configuration. The 1.0 and 1.2GHz Athlon MPs don't have 'Quantispeed'-ratings; a 1.4GHz Athlon MP would be a 1600+ model while an Athlon MP 1900+ runs at 1.6GHz.

To find out for sure what's the fastest Athlon MP processor supported by your motherboard, i recommend you contact Tyan...
Also, make sure you update your BIOS to the latest version before upgrading your CPU(s).
QUOTE It seems to me when I first bought the board that the pin count was different between the 2
Nope. There is no difference in pin-count or pin-configuration between an Athlon XP and Athlon MP or between different Athlon MP models.
QUOTE I am also seeing that on eBay sellers are claiming that the XP proc. will work in place of the MP. Is this true as well?
An Athlon XP can be modified(physical modification of the bridges on the CPU) so you will be able to use it in a dual-CPU configuration - if the modification is successful it will also be recognized by your motherboard/BIOS as an Athlon MP.
However, unlike the Athlon MP-line, Athlon XPs have NOT been tested/validated to run flawlessly in a dual-CPU configuration, so there *might* be problems(although it is unlikely).

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 04/26/2004 07:31 PM

Author Icon
Tux_Rules

Thank You for the reply.
I had assumed that it was too good to be true, but doesn't hurt to hope!!

www.fija.org
www.mandrake-linux.com/en/
www.opera.com
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information