Increase font size
Topic Title: A question about the Athlon MPs
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/06/2004 01:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/06/2004 01:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dan.M
Voodoo Programmer

This guy at this forum insisted he had these specs

XP Pro
dual athlon 1800MPs
1.5GB RDRam
2x73.4GB SCSi HDs striped
4x 200GB IDE striped
GFX Matrox P650
Sound Audiophile 2496

but what troubles me is that he says hes using RDRAMs.. i told me RDRAMs dont exist in the AthlonMP line up.. but he keeps insisting that they do.. can anyone clarify whos right and whos not? lol

DO AthlonMP Chipset support RDRAM..

I've seen AthlonMP boards that has Registered SDRAMs and Registered DDR RAM slots.. but have yet to see a Athlon MP Board line up using RDRAM slots..

-------------------------
Formerly Known as AzN_Pride
i7-2600|P8P67 Deluxe|HD6970&HD5770|16GB G.Skill RAM|640GB WD Caviar Black|Corsair AX750W|Silverstone Raven 3
 09/17/2004 06:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wintpe

Memory support in all athlon XP/MP processors is a function of the supporting chipset.

while there are many chipsets supporting the XP, only two support the MP in multi cpu mode, ie the MP and the MPX chipset, both made by AMD.

neither of these chipsets support RDRAM.

for the XP it is always possible that someone may produce a chipset to support it, i dont know of any that have yet.

RDRAM support for CPU''s seems to be a project restricted to intel, due to there close ties with RDRAM, ie they have invested large sums of cash in RDRAM, and only there 820/840 p3 chipsets and some of there p4 chipsets support RDRAM.

RDRAM did have its advantages when the p3 was in its heyday, however with DDR2 now upon us and talk of DDR3 i think its advantages are less prominant.

regards peter
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information