Increase font size
Topic Title: A naiive operating temperature question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/14/2004 07:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/14/2004 07:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
amdmark

Ok, this is very simple.

I'd like to know what the optimum safe temperature range for running a pair of just-installed AMD 2600+MP's really is.

The native monitor program on my m-board is reporting:

CPU1=50C
CPU2=55C

That's under full load, with both green graphs in the performance section of Windows Task Manager pushing against the ceiling. Idling, they're both in the low 40's.

Coolingwise the machine sits in a quiet Antec case with stock fans fore & aft, although it has 4x HDs on board. I've used the stock heatsinks that shipped with the CPU's though previously I used a hefty pair of big copper CoolerMasters which seemed a lot more substantial

I've searched on the subject in the AMD knowledge base and elsewhere, but the temperature info seems a bit nebulous. 90 degrees C maximum? Can they pull that - is it really right?

In which case I assume my CPU's are fine running as they are. But, as life teaches, never assume anything...

Regards and thanks in advance for any relevant comments
 10/18/2004 11:12 AM

Author Icon
fmesirard

Hello,

I have got the similar problem with an ATHLON 1400.
I would like to know a safe temperature range for my CPU.
Because i recently changed of cooling system and now i got 51-53 degree celcius but i don't know what i had before, and the documentation is talking about a die temperature of 95 degree celcius, and it seems pretty high.

So i am waiting for an answer , thanks by advance
 11/24/2004 08:51 AM

Author Icon
maxfacta

I have a similar query myself. But I'm not turning up many hard facts via google, so thought it might be worthwhile posting my stats here. With enough posts, we may get an idea of how people's systems are running...

So, my AMD64 3000+ runs at 58 ~ 60 C. I thought this was pretty hot, but haven't had any stability issues whatsoever.

I have learnt that the maximum temp as quoted by AMD is the "maximum die temperature". I don't know if this was an intended pun, but at this temperature the chip will be damaged. I don't know how close to this temp the chip will continue to operate correctly and safely.

However, here is an informative link with worrying implications:

Safe CPU Temp' ">http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/d...383&subsubsectionid=91

The die of the chip may be a lot hotter than your temperature gauge reports.
 11/24/2004 08:25 PM

Author Icon
JHawk56
Elite

Most Athlons and Duron systems I've been around start locking up or rebooting around 62-63ºC. The only one that seemed happy at 65ºC (a Palomino and they tend to run hotter) is also the only one that ever died on me.

John

-------------------------
My ECS/PCCHIPS/Amptron PCs<br>ASRock K7VM2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information