Increase font size
Topic Title: (Crashed?) HD Causes Reboot + Now WinXP Blind to IDE & Floppy
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/11/2010 10:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/11/2010 10:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
EvenFlow

Hello everyone. Completely stumped with an issue here. Hopefully some keen minds around with something my I haven't tried or considered.

The main issue:
I've used this system for about 3 years. Power went out one night and when I restarted my system it started going into an endless reboot cycle. Everything was fine through POST and PCI check and all the way up to the point right before where it would normally start loading Windows. Then I would get a quiet whirring-click similar to the sound from a CD-ROM engaging its disk when about to read, black screen, back at POST again.

I determined it was the HDD. As long as it's connected, it will show up in POST, show up in PCI list, and be recognized in BIOS, but promptly reboots the system when I try to boot from CD or floppy, or if I try to boot from another drive after setting it as slave, try to recover last known good config or safe mode or any other option F8 gives me. Yep, I can get that far, but anything else: REBOOT!

I'll tell you more about what I've seen and tried, but first here is the system I started with.

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluze
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 GHz
1G dual chan DDR ram (2x512M)
GeForce 6600 GT
IDE 1A: WD Caviar 80Gb w/ OS
IDE 1B: WD Caviar 160Gb
IDE 2A: Sony DVDRW
IDE 2B: Older CD-ROM
Windows XP Pro SP2
Norton security stuff from Rogers ISP

So I disconnected everything piece by piece and discovered two things.
1. If the 80Gb HD is connected it reboots if it even thinks about Windows. No matter what.
2. Without the HD connected and BIOS set to boot from CD, it gets to "BOOTING FROM CD...", hangs there for few secs to few minutes, shows two lines of text and immediately clears screen, 4 or 5 more lines about hardware or something and then gives me an error: MEDIA FAIL. PLEASE CHECK CABLES TRY AGAIN. This happens with my DVD-ROM or CD-ROM. Changed cables, d/c & r/c everything; nothing.

... So I bought a new drive. A SATA 500Gb this time. Put it in with 1st IDE HD --> reboot reboot reboot. Put it in with 2nd IDE HD --> normal but can't install win b/c of CD. Same with SATA HD by itself. Needed drivers --> ah okay! Took motherboard, SATA HD to friend's, installed drivers, and Windows XP. So here I am, Windows running, online.

But WinXP still not seeing Drive D: (the 2nd 160Gb IDE) no matter how I connect it, even though POST sees it just fine. It's just not showing up at all on My Computer. WinXP also not seeing my DVD-ROM or my Floppy, even though both worked flawlessly when connected to my friend's comp. They show up in My Computer but fail when I try to access them. Because of that, I can't update my BIOS to see if that makes magic happen.

Update: Somewhere along the line in the last 1-2 weeks the CD/DVD stopped showing up on POST and BIOS. Second guessing myself now whether it ever did after I got the SATA hooked up, but I'm almost certain it did. I didn't really do anything since then other than play with d/c and r/c everything in different combos and rebooting.

I've tried this solution from MS but it didn't work.
USB and virtual drives DO work fine. IDE HD, CD/DVD and Floppy don't.

Is there a problem with running windows from a SATA and setting up IDE HD or DVD drives? What about the floppy? And is there any way to recover or at least diagnose my crashed HD to see what's up? I find it strange behaviour and there's important data I REALLY want recovered (Friend's wedding video!)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information