Increase font size
Topic Title: Wont boot an OS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/22/2004 09:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/22/2004 09:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
markh

Hello

Hope someone might be able to help me!

I have a a MSI ms-6501 K7 Master motherboard with two 2000+ MP on the board. Yesterday I changed the fans on the procs, from the thermaltake volcano 6+cu's to a slighly quieter spire model which has a better cooling capacity and doesn't sound like a light airplane taking off.

However since making the change I can no longer get an operating system to boot. The POST tests complete ok but when the OS starts it gets to the blue XP screen telling you that it has 2 processors and a multiprocessing kernel and it reboots the box, there is a message but I cant read it beacuse it disappears so quickly. So I went back to the original configuration but it still crashed.

Fearing I might have corrupted windows I have tried booting a Redhat Linux 8 install disk but this also crashed but gave an error about about losing interupts and not being able to allocate virtual memory, and then the kernel panic message followed by crash and system lockup.

From a quick hunt around the net one other user, on a single proc system, had said that when he had the errors similar to these it was due to a faulty maths coprocessor.

Is the coproccesor on the cpu or is it part of the motherboard?

Are there any easyily available utilities available that would indicate where the problem lies and what I need to do to get the box up and running again?

Is it safe to test the processors by running them as single procs on the board, to isolate the damaged one, if this is what I have done?

I would welcome any help as I am at a lose end as to what to try next.

MarkH 8-(

01/22/2004 01:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
voodoo3300

Hello,

Firstly, the co-processors are actually on the chip and have been since the pentium 486dx4 if i remember rightly (might be wrong).

It should be possible to run with one CPU alone to see if one has become damaged, but you will probably have to look for a jumper to make the board run in single chip mode.

As for utilities i woudl have used burn in test but as you cant get an OS running then i think you will struggle to get something DOS or Lite-Linux based.

What OS are you using, if it is Windows 2000 Pro/Server or XP Pro, then email me direct @ jake41@btinternet.com for more help.

Jake

-------------------------
Main:
AMD Athlon 2600+ 333Mhz Thoroughbred | 512Mb in 2x 256Mb DaneElec DDR PC2700 | XFX NF2S-ALH with nForce 2 400Pro | Asus GeForce FX5200 128Mb Magic! | Creative 5.1! Live! | Maxtor DM+9 80Gb and Maxtor DM+8 20Gb | LiteON 832S DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer 8x | LiteOn 48x12x48x CD-RW | Full Black server case with 500W PSU | Relisys 17" Monitor | Wireless Optical Mouse | Logitech Surfer | XP Professional SP1

Server: Intel (Oh no!) 2x Pent
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information