AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: A7M266-D Workstation...no post...no reason.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/30/2004 02:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/30/2004 02:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gwm4069

Greetings to all.
Like most of us on these boards, we help friends work on their machines, especially when they have no clue what's going on. This is an inherited problem so bear with me I'll try to be as complete as possible.

This machine is an ASUS A7M266-D with two MP processors (true MP's not modded XP's). I can't tell you the speed, because I've never seen the machine booted up...hence the problem. It also has a Geforce 4Ti GFX card. According to its owner, the machine has been relatively stable with a few random shutdowns here and there for over a year and half. Again, according to its owner, about a week and a half ago, the machine locked up, she couldn't three finger salute the open processes she had to turn the machine off with the power supply. She tried to start it again, it got to the startup screen and then it turned itself off and hasn't started since.

Now, the initial thought from me was power supply related or sound card related (see . I don't know if it went through the rash of electrical storms in the area, and she said it was working fine afterward. So then I thought it could be RAM related (we were in denial of the potential that the MOBO was hosed), so I pulled each of the sticks (PC2100 DDR, Non-ECC, 512 MB) in turn and flip flopped slots, still no POST, no beeps, just fans, HD's and Opticals spinning up, but no POST. What made me rule out the Power supply was that there is an LED in between two of the PCI slots and that is lit and power was getting to the HD's and Optical drives.

I've since disconnected all of the IDE drives, have only one stick of memory and 2 processors, several case fans and the power supply connected. I've removed all of the PCI cards and disconnected all of the IDE devices from the power supply.

The power supply is a Channel Well Technology 420W Pentium IV certified PSU. Not the one that I would've chosen for a machine like this...but hey, it ain't my machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
 05/30/2004 02:44 PM

Author Icon
gwm4069

Well...since I put in the last post, I've disconnected the machine, and removed the CMOS batt, waited a couple minutes replaced both, still nothing. I also tried a jumper reset, nada.
 10/23/2005 11:03 AM

Author Icon
dan8552

I found this link to another site where someone had a similar problem. Apparently there is a problem with the soft boot switch on the front of the computer. This site may tell you something.

ASUS A7M266-D' ">http://rikkus.info/a7m266-d.html

Good luck. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 10/25/2005 12:58 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

You may also want to check the mainboard for failing capacitors.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information