AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Thermal Interface reapplication?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/11/2004 02:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/11/2004 02:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mantaray

First, thanks in advance for any and all help.

So, I'm building a dual 2400 MP system and the first heatsink installation was a bit confusing. I had a really hard time getting the clip locked in properly and at one point, lifted the heatsink off the processor. There was a small blob of the thermal interface goo on the CPU core and then I reinstalled the heatsink. This time, I got the clip locked down properly (with a lot more effort than I expected!. The 2nd CPU and heatsink went on easily.

So, my question is.. does anyone think that I should remove the heatsink on the 1st processor, clean the thermal interface off and reinstall it with a thermal paste? I don't really want to do that, but if I have to.. better safe than sorry.

Again, thanks in advance for any thoughts.
 02/26/2004 10:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ejzohn

Ideally, there should be a thin film of past on the core, but nowhere else. Can't say how messy the first installation was without seeing a photo.

If it makes you feel better, the first time I did this I put on way too much paste. made the whole substrate gooey with paste. I removed the heatsink, cleaned the whole thing off with Q-tips and Isopropyl alcohol, and resinstalled the heatsink with a thermal pad - not paste.

I am told the properly applied paste is a better conductor (read: cooler) than a thermal pad, but the pad, I believe, has a more foolproof installation.

If you do this, don't forget to clean off the heatsink too. Paste and pad do not mix.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information