AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon causing problems (cannot unzip)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/15/2004 10:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/15/2004 10:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Username2004

Hello,

I have a serious problems with my Athlon 2100. (i'm running windows xp, and i have a CPU builders/Stratitec computer with a Sis 735 chipset motherboard. I have 768 MB RAM)

The problem is that I cannot unzip files, or install programs, because an error box comes up saying 'CRC (cyclic redundancy check) fail' or 'the zip file is corrupt' or 'the cab file is corrupt'.

These zip files or exe programs run fine on other computers, but when i copy the file onto MY computer, then try to unzip or run the exe, i will get one of the aforementioned errors. What seems to happen is that once i copy the zip file onto my computer, that file gets corrupted permanently. How do i know? Because if i then take that file, and try running it in another computer, IT WILL NOT RUN, because it has been corrupted.

Not only this, but every once in a while my computer crashes. I get a blue screen (that pops up for a split second) and then my computer restarts. I had this same problem also, back in the day, when I was running windows 2000. I would constantly get a blue screen that said, ''now dumping physical memory''.

I am not sure if these two problems are linked, but I suspect that it must be the Athlon 2100 causing the problems. I know that My hard drive is NOT at fault, (because i tested it in another computer) and I believe that the memory is not at fault. (because i tested each one seperately and the problem still persisted).

Please, if you have any suggestions on what to do, let me know.....

thank you.
 03/16/2004 05:32 PM

Author Icon
MIkeK1604

it sounds like windows files are corrupt. If all else fails, format to make sure

-------------------------
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1728 Mhz, Maxtor 40gig HD, Fuji 8 gig HD, PNY Gforce 4200 Ti 64mb
DFI AD77Pro MB , VIA chipsets KT400-8235
768 DDR pc2700
 03/16/2004 06:55 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

QUOTE I am not sure if these two problems are linked, but I suspect that it must be the Athlon 2100 causing the problems. I know that My hard drive is NOT at fault, (because i tested it in another computer) and I believe that the memory is not at fault. (because i tested each one seperately and the problem still persisted).

See if you can borrow a cpu from a friend, even a duron or something and try that.

Try running memtest86, that will "officially" test your ram.

QUOTE I had this same problem also, back in the day, when I was running windows 2000. I would constantly get a blue screen that said, ''now dumping physical memory''.

Did you do a fresh XP install? or an upgrade to XP...if you upgraded you just covered up what was going wrong, that's like sticking a bandaid on a gun shot wound to the head...

Later

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

03/16/2004 10:51 PM

Author Icon
Username2004

Yes, I did a fresh install of XP, but the problem still persisted. I will try out memtest86 in the meantime.

I don't know of any people with spare athlons, so is there another way to test the cpu?
 03/17/2004 12:25 AM

Author Icon
Username2004

Also, I'm running the memtest..........how long is it supposed to take?? it's been running for over an hour now............i see that it performs various 'tests' but i see it performing the same tests again (test #1, test #2, etc).

Should i just stop it or what?
 03/17/2004 02:01 PM

Author Icon
Username2004

All right, I finished running the memtest, and I had no errors at all. It did 2 passes of the test (test1 - test 7), and with zero errors.

So this means that my memory is working fine, right? So the problem is most likely my CPU? is there a way AMD can replace it through the warranty, or should I go to the place i bought it from (tigerdirect.com) ? Also, how long is their warranty valid for?

thanks.
 03/25/2004 10:32 PM

Author Icon
NOP

it sound like Virus CIH!!!

go to install norton antivirus and kill the virus

be quick... after 4 25 may be.... your BIOS will Die!!!!

with CIH version 1.2.....

Zip file cannot be unzip....that is what i know

Old History....

TYan S2466-4m (AMDchip)
Althon MP 2400+ Dual (0.13)
Transcand 512MB ECC DDR 266 x 2 + Ramos 512MB ECC DDR266 x 1
WD 800JB + WD800JB + WD1200JB
LG 4082 8X +/- DVD writer
Power VR 2 Kyro 32MB AGP
Creative SBlive Value Sound card
3com 3c920 Lan card on board
1394/USB 2.0 NEC combo card
Promise ATA-133 TX2 PCI IDE card x2
Enermax EP 495( 485W )
 04/12/2004 01:48 AM

Author Icon
ventsyv

I doubt it is the CPU. My first thought was memory error or file clutter. I suggest you do a clean install, turn off all the services and other stuff you do not need off and istall an anti-virus(AVG I suggest). If you still have the problem than it migth be the CPU.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information