Increase font size
Topic Title: Tyan Tiger MP s2460 Lock-up During POST
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/31/2004 07:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/31/2004 07:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Tux_Rules

Hello All,
I bought this board when it first came out (Tiger MP s2460). Tyan claims it will support 2 Athlon 1GHz to 1.2GHz and 1500+ to 1900+ CPU's, so I purchased 2 of the MP 1800+ ( http://www.tyan.com/support/ht...thlo...on_opteron.html' ">http://www.tyan.com/support/ht...lon_duron_opteron.html )
For memory, I bought a Samsung Chipset PC2100 DDR266 Registered 1024 MB stick ( http://www.samsung.com/Product...nduc...312L2828DT0.htm' ">http://www.samsung.com/Product...28DT0/M312L2828DT0.htm )

I bought a Antec SmartBlue 350W power supply( http://www.antec.com/us/pro_de...werS...hp?ProdID=25352' ">http://www.antec.com/us/pro_de...upply.php?ProdID=25352 )

The video card is a AGP PNY nVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX 440-SE (64MB)

Now the problem: Most of the time when the computer boots, it takes approx. 30 seconds for the monitor to switch to "green", then another minute or 2 before there is any activity on the screen. What comes up is:

Phoenix ServerBIOS 2 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-2000 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
Build Time: 08/14/01 16:10:57

TYAN TIGER MP
BIOS V1.02

CPU= AMD Athlon™ Processor 1533 MHz
2 Processor(s) Detected
1024M System RAM Passed
FIXED DISK 0: SAMSUNG SV6004H
ATAPI CD-ROM: CD-RW IDE2410
Mouse Initialized

It will then hang for anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes, then below the mouse init., it will show:

00ERROR
FAILED

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup

I can sometimes access the BIOS, but usually it is froze and can do nothing but hit the power switch (or reset). Once it did (after hitting F1) start to load the O.S. (WinME), in which it did the new hardware/installing, then resart for settings to take effect, but froze on reboot. Could this be a memory problem? On occassion, it will give a series of beeps (beep beep, beep beep, beep beep beep, beep)(2 short twice, 3 short once, small delay single). I know that this memory stick is not on the list of Tyan Recommended ( http://www.tyan.com/support/html/memory_s2460.html' ">http://www.tyan.com/support/html/memory_s2460.html ), but it is Registered, pc2100, and DDR. Power supply maybe? Some of the things I have done for testing is take out the PCI Soundcard, PCI Ethernet Card, disconnect the harddrive and CD Drive (both power cable and IDE ribbon) so that the only thing having power during boot-up was the floppy (Was hoping maybe to upgrade the BIOS), but it still does the same thing.
Any ideas?

-------------------------
www.fija.org
www.mandrake-linux.com/en/
www.opera.com
 08/04/2004 04:05 PM

Author Icon
Japzezz

Yes, this is just what happened to my Tyan S2460 board. I'm running on windows XP and everytime I tried to access the BIOS, I had to go very quick and save all the settings before the BIOS frozen on me. It ususally takes a long time to boot from BIOS mode to Windows mode and I have no idea why. I'm using BIOS v 1.05. One thing I should let you know for your future safety is that don't try to flash your BIOS or you will be sorry to replace the BIOS chip. At first I thought because of something that caused my BIOS to freeze, so I tried to flash it even my BIOS is 1.05, but in the middle of flashing BIOS, it froze and I had no way to go and I ended up to replace the whole BIOS chip from BIOSworld site. I told my friends and other techs that never buy anything that comes with TYAN logo or name and Tyan was my first and also my last thing. If you or anyone out there have any idea why, then please post up. Thanks.
 08/07/2004 01:30 PM

Author Icon
Tux_Rules

I been doing some looking and have read that the Tyan server boards are VERY picky about the memory they will accept. This may be the problem. I have some more memory coming that is labled as server memory and will see if that makes a difference. If not, I got a deal on it and will be able to use it other places.

www.fija.org
www.opera.com
 08/11/2004 03:14 PM

Author Icon
Tux_Rules

Found the problem!! One of my CPU's was defective. It works great with just one CPU. I tested by installing one CPU in CPU0 and booting, then CPU1 and booting. One CPU boot in both and works good, the other CPU freezes!! Now I just have to replace the CPU!!

www.fija.org
www.opera.com
 08/12/2004 12:25 AM

Author Icon
Japzezz

My system is running on samsung mem as on tyan posted and I don't think because of the cpu. I ran a test by using sandra and they both works great even though the cpu 0 seems to be hotter than cpu 1. I'm still waiting for my bios chip to deliver. According to tyan, you can run 1 cpu as long as it's an xp version but if you run with mp then it must be 2.
 08/12/2004 10:13 PM

Author Icon
Tux_Rules

Japzezz,
So far it has run 24hrs. with just the one 1800+ MP CPU with XP Pro. I would bet that if you were to play around with your CPU's and try running just one at a time (run it in CPU0 then CPU1), one would be defective (as soon as you get your BIOS chip back). It wouldn't hurt to try, as your problem and mine are extremely similar.

www.fija.org
www.opera.com
 08/19/2004 10:06 PM

Author Icon
Tux_Rules

I just received the returned CPU and now the computer boots with both proc. and works sweet! Had some trouble at first with XP Pro seeing one CPU as an Athlon and the other as an AMD K-7, but after telling XP to remove the hardware and a reboot, it now shows both as Athlon's.

www.fija.org
www.opera.com
 08/20/2004 05:16 PM

Author Icon
Japzezz

I got my new BIOS chip installed then F2 to BIOS mode. The BIOS still froze up. One of my friends suggested that PSU might do some things weird, so I replaced my Antec PSU 400W with Antec 430W. Still froze up. This time I removed the CMOS battery and waited for several minutes, plug it back in, booted to BIOS mode, pressed F9 to load default then set YES on reset configuration in BIOS, saved it the tried to reboot it and went to BIOS mode again to see if the BIOS mode still freeze up on me. Surprisingly that it didn't freeze anymore even I moved around in BIOS very fast and disable or enable several settings in there to see if the problem still exit or not. NO, it worked fine, then I decided to monitor my hardware in BIOS, so I moved to hardware monitor in the advanced and according to the menu next to it, it said press any key to refresh, so I pressed any key to see the temperture, fan speed. It was still working, but then I pressed several more times to see the refresh temperture and fan speed. This time it locked up. I had to power down and reboot the system up. As long as I don't enter the hardware monitor, then they system is stable enough now. I will try your suggestion to test the CPU but I doubt any defect on my dual MP CPU because my BIOS can detect them and the Windows XP can see them. The other friend of mine thought something wrong with the mother board and I got it only for 2 years. I'm looking for the reciept so I can check on warranty. I'm going to email Tyan tech tonight to see how they suggest for a fix, if they can't help me out and if I can find the receipt then I will send the board back to Tyan for a fix. I'm so frustrated with Tyan board now. Some of my friends also told me they never touch anything from Tyan because they got Tyan in the past and didn't work well for them.

This is my system settings:
Antec case and 400W antec PSU
1 Tyan MP S2460 board with 2 MP 1900+
ATI PCI video card with 32MB
1 Hitachi 120GB ATA hard drive
2 512MB Samsung Registered ECC
NU DVD-CD drive combo 512

I have tried to change those components with different ones many times and I know those components work on my Tyan S2466-4M system with 2000+
 08/20/2004 05:49 PM

Author Icon
Japzezz

Tux,

Check this site, they have some very interesting about Tyan board http://forums.2cpu.com/showthr...s=&t...&threadid=47623' ">http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47623
 08/20/2004 07:05 PM

Author Icon
Tux_Rules

QUOTE http://forums.2cpu.com/showthr......&threadid=47623

Impressive!! MP2800's in a 2460. That will be for a later date. Maybe I'll pick a 2460 up off of eBay and try..

I still have to believe that you are suffering from the same problem I had. The BIOS would show 2 CPU and identify them correctly, but with one being dead, it just couldn't go all the way thru booting.

Please keep me informed as to what you find out.

Also, does your BIOS recognize the hard drive as being 120 GB?

www.fija.org
www.opera.com
 08/27/2004 08:06 AM

Author Icon
fuasn

QUOTE (Tux_Rules @ Aug 11 2004, 11:14 AM) Found the problem!! One of my CPU's was defective. It works great with just one CPU. I tested by installing one CPU in CPU0 and booting, then CPU1 and booting. One CPU boot in both and works good, the other CPU freezes!! Now I just have to replace the CPU!!
I had a similar problem with the S2460. Bios reported 00ERROR. After removing CPU1, booting into the OS, shutting down and re-installing the same CPU, it worked fine again. I hope this does not happen frequently now.

Maybe you should try this first, if its not too late.
 09/09/2004 10:58 AM

Author Icon
Japzezz

I think I found the problem with my S2460. After I replaced the stock heatsink on my dual MP 1900+, all the problems that I got before went away. So I think becase of the heat that got so hot on the CPU, it caused all kind of weird problems. My CPUs now are running with Thermaltake Volcano 11 and I must say these Volcano 11s are really loud, everytime I turn my PC on, I feel like I'm on 747. But I can't complain about the noise anymore since those heatsinks did their job well to cool down the temperture on MP1900+. My case now has 2 intake fans on the front and 2 exhaut fans on the back + 2 Volcano heatsinks.

Idle CPU0 @ 42C @ full speed and 50C @ lowest speed
Idle CPU1 @ 47C @ fulll speed and 60C @ lowest speed

I haven't stressed out my CPUs to their max yet but I will to see how hot on CPUs is and how the Volcano heatsinks can handle the temperture.
 10/25/2004 10:37 AM

Author Icon
blaatkip

I'm from the netherlands and have a Tyan Tiger 2460MPX motherboard with 2x 2200+ CPU's. Sometimes my PC won't power up and i have to reatache the internal powercable to the mainboard to powerup. In some cases only the video hardware won't work... I've installed some extra fans to cool down and upgraded my power supply from 400W to 650W.... Still the problems remain...some solution anyone
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information