Increase font size
Topic Title: HELP! W/ATHLON MP'S
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/14/2003 02:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/14/2003 02:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
goliath443

i know this question has been asked a thousand times, but i must ask it again. i currently run on:

Abit KR7A (non RAID) with the latest BIOS revision which has support up to 266FSB CPU's
Athlon XP 1500+
512MB PC2100 registered memory

first, let me tell u what i want to do. i want to install the fastest Athlon XP in my system, but i heard that an Athlon XP 2600+ w/266FSB is extremely hard to find.

then i hear that an Athlon MP might work in my motherboard. is this true? if so, what's the fastest MP i can run at? it's my understanding that even the MP 2800+ has a FSB of 266MHz, so can that work as well? i'd appreciate some success stories if possible. also, money is no object because i want to upgrade to the fastest CPU and be done with it. lastly, do MP's require registered memory? i appreciate any help. thanks.

P.S. Abit forums were no help

11/15/2003 02:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE then i hear that an Athlon MP might work in my motherboard. is this true?
Yes, a Athlon MP is just an Athlon XP that has been tested and validated for dual-CPU operation. It will happily run on any mobo regardless of whether it is single or dual-Socket A

The Athlon MP 2800+ has the Barton-core(512KB L2-cache) - i doubt your mobo will support it. There are both T-Bred and Barton-versions of the MP 2600+, and ALL Athlon MPs have a 266MHz FSB.

According to Abit's CPU-compatibility list, the fastest CPU supported by your mobo is a AXP 2000+ T-Bred. Anything faster than that(and with a 266MHz FSB) might or might not work, but i don't really know

QUOTE do MP's require registered memory?
No. The CPU does not require it. You can use it if you like, but you don't have to(unless your mobo requires registered RAM)

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information