Increase font size
Topic Title: Sometimes high temperature
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/26/2003 08:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/26/2003 08:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ruza13

Processor Athlon XP1800+ in motherboard MSI KT3ULTRA has normal cpu temperature less than 50C(degrees of celsius), about 46C.

Processor Athlon XP2400+BOX with the same motherboard MSI KT3ULTRA has normal cpu temerature less than 50C(about 46C) too.

Procesor Athlon XP1800+ with motherboard ECS K7VTA3 v5.0 has normal cpu temperature about 46C too.

But processor Athlon XP2400+BOX with the same motherboard ECS K7VTA3 v5.0 has tempeature 65C (65C in open case, 76C in close case). Why this combination is so bad, while all others combinations are good (I tested the same procesor with tha same fan in the same motherboard, allways in open case)?
 11/26/2003 12:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pcy

Very odd!

I'm assuming you re-seated the CPU cooler, and then put the CPUs back in their original machines and confirmed the earlier figures to establish that the experiment had not damaged the CPU in any way.

I have no ideas at the macro level where we usually analize these issues.

So, as nobody else has any suggestions, may I put forward the micro arguement that occasionally very odd things happen.

The basic point is that computers are chaotic, statistical devices. The hardware is on such a tiny scale, and of such complexity, that the components can exhibit some adaptive characteristics, or may even be sensitive to quantum effects.

This means that the possibility of un-known interactions causing stange effects is real, and we should expect things like this to happen from time to time.

Try this as an example of the sort of effect I'm talking about.

Maybe (maybe) the molecules of this CPU just happened to arrange themselves during manufacture/burning in so that the whole CPU could "resonate" electrically at some frequency. It's overall resistance at that frequency would then possibly be reduced. If this particular mobo has some tiny fluctuation at exactly that frequency the current going thjrough the CPU would increase and the heat would increase also.

Far fetched? Right on... but impossible?

Peter

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information