Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon MP 1900+ and SSE enable
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/14/2003 12:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/14/2003 12:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mustang Mac

I have several Dual Athlon MP systems (mainly Tyan and ASUS boards) set up as workstations. A problem I recently encountered is with a system running Athlon MP 1900+ processors. WCPUID denotes that SSE is enabled, but the program I run is stuck with 3DNow instruction set. What am I overlooking? Why is the program not running with SSE. I am using the proper -forceasm flag in the CLI to cause SSE to be selected preferentially, but it always goes with 3DNow. My other systems will run SSE no problem. I am puzzled. Thanks.

-------------------------
hello. AGAIN.
 10/14/2003 10:37 PM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

Was this an upgrade from a previous version processor by any chance?

If you installed the OS when you had a previous generation processor (say T-Bird version MP) and just upgraded the CPU, then this is likely your problem.

The OS will only look at processor features when it is first installed. It determines what features the CPU supports then loads the appropriate DLL's, etc. If you upgrade the CPU any time after the initial install, then the OS will not know that new features have been added (like SSE) and therefore will never enable support for them.

Therefore, if this is the case, then to get SSE support you will need to perform a fresh install of the OS. A re-install will not work, you need to wipe the drive clean and re-install the OS from scratch.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
 10/15/2003 11:17 AM

Author Icon
TNZ

Mouaip :/ ... if you run NT Kernel based OS, it's possible to upgrade the processor within the OS.

The best way is to restart a full install. After the license screen (usually the one you must strike F8 to accept the license), the install software detects installed OS and ask for a re-install. This way provides a new detection of all the hardware components and re-use all the drivers and keeps all external software previously installed
 10/15/2003 11:54 PM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

You sure? I thought I had tried that before but it did not pick up that the new CPU supported the SSE instruction set. This was with Win XP Pro which is running the NT Kernel as I recall.

Also Mouaip??

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
 10/16/2003 04:00 AM

Author Icon
TNZ

mouaip = french expression which means "not sure"
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information