Increase font size
Topic Title: Using MP Processor on Single Chip board
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/12/2003 07:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/12/2003 07:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
valterra

Recently I thought my main HDD was starting to crash - making loud clacking sounds, and freezing the system.

I shut the comp down for about a week and then, when I went to reboot, I got nothing except a loud (hard drive??) growl.

I moved the MB into a new case. The only thing hooked up is the RAM and graphics adapter.

When I go to start the computer, it won't even activate my monitor. So not only will it not get to POST, but it won't even get to a point where ANYTHING comes on the screen.

I've changed graphics adapters (just in case), and used two different monitors.

Is this problem my Motherboard? Sounds like a dumb question, but, having invested in TWO processors and a motherboard, I'd like to make sure I'm not replacing a good component unnecessarily.

If it IS my motherboard and the processors are still good, I've given some thought into splitting it into TWO computers, and using the MP chips on single-chip AMD boards. Is that possible? I'd like to hear from someone who's done this, with or without success. ;-)

Also, before I buy another motherboard, in case the problem is with my processors, is there a way to test them? I don't want to buy parts unnecessarily, expecially since the MP motherboards I've been able to find are still $200 and the cost of two processors is even more.

Thanks for your help!

-Jon.
 10/13/2003 02:16 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Try to reset CMOS or remove the battery for a few minutes, then put it back in(unplug the comps' power first).
do you get any beeps?

QUOTE using the MP chips on single-chip AMD boards. Is that possible?
yes, you should be able to use a single MP-chip on a normal(non-dual) motherboard, provided the mobos' BIOS will support a cpu of that class(e.g. if you have a MP2400+, your mobo should be able to support atleast a AXP 2400+) - won't be a problem if you buy a new mobo

QUOTE Also, before I buy another motherboard, in case the problem is with my processors, is there a way to test them?
you will have to put them in a different mobo(can be a non-dual-mobo)....you could ask at a local store that sells computer-parts if they would test your CPU's...

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 10/13/2003 10:41 AM

Author Icon
action man

that loud growl could have been one of your cpu fans dying in which case a cpu may be dead. have you tried testing them individually on the duallie board and ensuring that all fans are working?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 10/13/2003 11:08 AM

Author Icon
valterra

The CPU fans are all working properly. Also, just to make sure nothing was shorting out, I put the motherboard, and PS on a non-conductive surface, hooked up the RAM and a single processor. When I start the computer, the PS and Processor fan come on, and that's it. No beep, etc.

I always figured if the processor was bad, the motherboard would still POST. Is that not right?

I'll try to reset the BIOS and tell you what happens.
 10/13/2003 11:31 AM

Author Icon
action man

sounds like your voltage regulator on the mobo has died somwhere along the line. if you can, check both cpus in a known good board. make sure you fans are plugged into the correct plugs..

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 10/26/2003 11:11 AM

Author Icon
valterra

Okay. I tried to reset the BIOS.... no response. No beeps or anything. So I set the jumpers back and tried to start up.

This time, I only have one of the MP processors in. I get no beep, no POST, no video signal at all. AFAIK it must be the motherboard.

Does anyone know where I can get a Tyan Tiger MP (S2460) Mobo? I don't really want to buy a 2466 model for $200 with features I don't need, like built-in LAN.

Or does anyone have an experience with any other boards that they can recommend to me? I don't want to pay $200 if I can get away with it. I already have money invested in Registered DDR memory, so I guess I'd prefer a board that uses it.

Thanks a lot, guys! I'll be waiting to hear some mobo suggestions!
 11/06/2003 07:14 PM

Author Icon
jwstric2

My roomate said you should try to contact Tyan first, he got his replaced for free even though it was over a year and a half year old. I am also having trouble with my s2466n board, I will probaly have to call them. Just a thought.
 11/12/2003 10:58 AM

Author Icon
valterra

I ordered a Tyan 2466N-4M which should arrive this week. Hopefully the prob was
a bad mobo. Otherwise, I'm out $200!

I wish I'd read your post before I ordered it!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information