Increase font size
Topic Title: problems with 3dnow!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/21/2003 03:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/21/2003 03:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pieczarr

hello,
in my duron 850, the 3dnow! instructions don't work. any programs (games! that use it, don't want to work (i mean they work, but show only blinking triangles and other rubbish). is there a way to disable 3dnow support in directx applications?
thanks in advance
 10/21/2003 07:43 PM

Author Icon
sandorski

What video card and what drivers. I seriously doubt this is a 3DNow issue.

-------------------------
Wowza' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=262
 10/22/2003 01:50 AM

Author Icon
pieczarr

it's geforce2 mx. drivers - detonators, every version does this.
i'm almost sure the trouble is with 3dnow,not with the graphic card. my video card was changed recently and the problem remained. in unreal tournament, when i choose to disable mmx/3dnow instructions, the game works as it should.

10/24/2003 06:31 AM

Author Icon
Mosher

There is no way that the 3DNow instruction set is responsible for this. I think we need some explanation here what 3DNow is or does.

All CPU's are able to understand a certain set of instructions. They read the instruction and than like any good little diggital device do exactly what this instruction tells it to do. For the Durons, Athlons etc. the core instruction set they understand is the x86 instruction set.
Some clever Engineers though, that if we add a few special instructions to this instruction set that can calculate, shift or do some other data manipulation faster than the x86 instruction by combining some of the functions into one instruction. We could improve performance for certain tasks. Well the result of that though can be found in MMX, 3DNow, SSE, SSE2 and in part in the AMD64 additional instruction set.

So I very much doubt that the instruction set is the problem. Bad programming however can cause strange effects and it is not impossible that the implementation/use of the 3DNow instructions in the software where you have these problems could have some bugs.

Nevertheless I would say that a corrupted DirectX installation or graphics card hardware or Driver problem is a more likely cause for the error you see.

I would suggest a fresh install and maybe a test of the card in another system.
And backup your data before you fiddle with the OS installation.
Cheers
Mosher
 10/27/2003 05:22 AM

Author Icon
pieczarr

hello,
thanks for answering
yeah i know what 3dnow is,but i still think it's the cause of my problems. here's my explaination:
once my cpu fan stopped, and the system hang up. the radiator was really hot. and next time i run a program that used the 3dnow enhanced insdtruction set, strange things began to happen. at first i reinstalled directx and the graphic card drivers. it didn't make any change so,remembering what happened to the fan, i got a little bit suspicious.i run some kind of cpu benchmark( don't remember which one ) which was displaying an animated scene. there were two versions of this test: one that did use 3dnow and one that did not. guess, which one was working correctly... note that the benchmark was using cpu only, without the acceleration of direct3d or something.
so i swapped processors. i got my friend's duron 1000 and made an exchange. while my system was functioning correctly, his machine made strange things like mine before.
that's why i do think the problem is in the cpu.
i don't know the processor's internal structure but i suppose that the block responsible for interpreting enhanced multimedia instructions was damaged (however silly it sounds)...
i don' play games very often so i feel no need to buy a new cpu, however.... ;D
but, now i see my mistake. i should have formed my question in an another way:
is there a way to make windows not to use the enhanced 3dnow instruction set?

thanks in advance for the answers
 10/27/2003 12:18 PM

Author Icon
Roadrunner

QUOTE (pieczarr @ Oct 27 2003, 01:22 AM)once my cpu fan stopped, and the system hang up. the radiator was really hot. and next time i run a program that used the 3dnow enhanced insdtruction set, strange things began to happen.
I think you know the answer to your problem...

Pete...

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ | Thermaltake Volcano v11 | ABIT KD7 | Antec 400W
Cooler Master Praetorian Mid Tower w/lots of fans
Crucial 1GB DDR400 (CT6464Z40B x 2 (512MB DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • 5ns ))
Visiontek 128MB Xtasy Ti 4600 (w/VIVO) | Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum eX
NEC DVD+RW (ND-1100A) | SAMSUNG 40/12/40 CD-RW (SW-240B)
Maxtor 6Y160P0 160GB x 2 | NEC Multisync LCD 2010 XtraView
Creative MegaWorks THX 5.1 550
 10/27/2003 01:45 PM

Author Icon
pieczarr

well...
i don't understand what you mean.
the cpu is damaged, that's a fact but my question was how to omit the problem without buying a new one.
greetz,
 10/29/2003 08:10 PM

Author Icon
sandorski

QUOTE (pieczarr @ Oct 27 2003, 09:45 AM) well...
the cpu is damaged, that's a fact but my question was how to omit the problem without buying a new one.
greetz,
Well, you might be able to get a tweaker program that allows you to disable 3dnow useage in your vidcard drivers, but that won't necessarily disable 3DNow for all applications.

Start saving your pennies.

Wowza' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=262
 11/17/2003 06:46 AM

Author Icon
steg

If you have an nvidia video card, you can disable support for mmx sse and 3dnow in the driver's control panel.
 11/17/2003 11:58 AM

Author Icon
Roadrunner

QUOTE (pieczarr @ Oct 27 2003, 12:45 PM)well...
greetz,
I think you do understand what I mean.

Trying to omit the defect can only be accomplished by replacing the defect with a known working part.
Since the CPU is known to be defective, the only cure is to replace the CPU with a good CPU.
Trying to get around a defective CPU, is like going on a long trip with a car that has a bad engine.

We don't have the technology today to perform microsurgery on damaged CPUs.

Pete...

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ | Thermaltake Volcano v11 | ABIT KD7 | Antec 400W
Cooler Master Praetorian Mid Tower w/lots of fans
Crucial 1GB DDR400 (CT6464Z40B x 2 (512MB DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • 5ns ))
Visiontek 128MB Xtasy Ti 4600 (w/VIVO) | Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum eX
NEC DVD+RW (ND-1100A) | SAMSUNG 40/12/40 CD-RW (SW-240B)
Maxtor 6Y160P0 160GB x 2 | NEC Multisync LCD 2010 XtraView
Creative MegaWorks THX 5.1 550
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information