Increase font size
Topic Title: "Warning: non-matching MP Processors..."
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/12/2005 10:05 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/12/2005 10:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Svenne

Hi forum,

This Tyan Thunder K7 (S2462) has two AMD MP 2800+ CPUs. Ocassionally I will reboot and notice the following message after the post:

ERROR
****** Warning: non-matching MP Processors *******
This processor(s) installed in your system are not the same model and frequency. This could lead to system instability. Your system will continue to boot in a uniprocessor mode.

I do have vastly different headsink/fan setups on each and I currently notice 6.5 degrees Celsius difference in temperature between the two ( 40.0, 46.5 ). Could this have something to do with what's happening ? Additionally, these MP processors were bought nearly a year apart. Although they report identical family, model, frequency could something else relevant be different ? (Relevant CPU details included below)

Svenne

CPU 0 details:
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : AMD Athlon™ MP 2800+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 2124.033
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow

CPU 1 details:
processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 10
model name : AMD Athlon™ Processor
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 2124.033
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
 10/24/2005 10:43 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

Do you have the latest BIOS for the Thunder K7? I had to run my HSFs off of the power supply to get them to cool correctly.

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 10/24/2005 11:56 PM

Author Icon
Svenne

QUOTE(mckennma @ Oct 24 2005, 10:43 PM)Do you have the latest BIOS for the Thunder K7?  I had to run my HSFs off of the power supply to get them to cool correctly.
[right][snapback]530713[/snapback][/right]

Yes, 2.14.

I'm assuming HSF is short for heatsink fans. The difference in temperature is due to the radical difference in the intended use of the two HSF. One is for overclocking with tremendous amount of copper and the other is the boxed retail version from AMD. I'm now realizing I could slow down the cooper fan using PWM to bring it closer to the retail fan and determine if temperature difference is the problem.

Thanks for the reply mckennma.

Svenne
 10/25/2005 09:00 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

I see about a 4C difference between CPU0 and CPU1. CPU0 gets more use than CPU1. 46C is not high. You could get better HSFs for both CPUs. Switching to rounded cables from Sidewindercomputers.com and change chassis fans will also help.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 10/25/2005 12:57 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

How does the mainboard look? and signs of failing components, especially capacitors.

Quite a few mainboards are affected by bad capacitors, especially the ealier socket A mainboards, server or SMP boards are also more susceptable due to the amount of capacitors used in the power section for the processors...

Have a good look over the mainboard components, check out www.badcaps.net for an idea of what to look for.

Good Luck

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

12/14/2005 06:16 PM

Author Icon
Svenne

QUOTE(mckennma @ Oct 25 2005, 09:00 AM)I see about a 4C difference between CPU0 and CPU1.  CPU0 gets more use than CPU1.  46C is not high.  You could get better HSFs for both CPUs.  Switching to rounded cables from Sidewindercomputers.com and change chassis fans will also help.
[right][snapback]530977[/snapback][/right]

your reply is informative mckennma, thank you.

Svenne
 12/14/2005 06:17 PM

Author Icon
Svenne

QUOTE(MD Willington @ Oct 25 2005, 12:57 PM)How does the mainboard look? and signs of failing components, especially capacitors.

Quite a few mainboards are affected by bad capacitors, especially the ealier socket A mainboards, server or SMP boards are also more susceptable due to the amount of capacitors used in the power section for the processors...

Have a good look over the mainboard components, check out www.badcaps.net for an idea of what to look for.

Good Luck

MD
[right][snapback]531117[/snapback][/right]

I've never heard of this. Thanks for the information MD Willington.

Svenne
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information