Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD MPX and ATi X800 problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/04/2005 12:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2005 12:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tamasrs

I have a dual cpu motherboard (AMD 768 MPX) from Giga-byte : GA-7DPXDW-P, with Antec True 550 PSU and Audigy 2 ZS.
After installing the card&software & restart, the driver not loaded (neither the control panel of course). The system still using the vga-built-in driver from microsoft. Driver said: there was a problem(error code 10).... However I have a Linux on that machine also, and I don't have any problem with it. fglrx loaded fine. I can play what ever I want..

If I disable the sencond CPU using the /onecpu swith in boot.ini the driver is load perfectly, and everything is stable.
I've removed all card from the board, checked IRQ-s. There was no sharing, but the problem not solved.

This is working for me, but this is not a great solution:

1)Turn on computer
2)Open device manager, update primary display adaptor (this has a problem)
3)use 'add hardware' wizard to find display adaptors
4) open directx diag tool
5) run 'test direct draw' in dxdiag
6) follow promps untill test 3 resets screen resolution to 480x640
7) reset resolution to desired

(from http://forums.2cpu.com/showthr...t=56...light=x800+mpx)' ">http://forums.2cpu.com/showthr...77&highlight=x800+mpx)

after this everthing is working fine untill the next reboot/start.
So is something broke in the smp support? Amd's Agp driver problem?

My old 9700 card is working perfectly, only the new x800xl has this problem.

Do AMD have a plan to solve this?

Seems this MPX chipset not a perfect one.. (USB, sound and now AGP have some kind of problems)

11/05/2005 11:11 AM

Author Icon
quackdor

Ya I've been dealing with this since June, other people even longer. Most people that you talk to on forums immediately jump to the conclusion that there is something wrong with your configuration or that it's a power problem, but this is not an isolated problem. You're not alone dude. I emailed AMD about the problem like you suggested. Did you do that already? I don't know.
 11/05/2005 10:55 PM

Author Icon
tamasrs

I've contacted with ATi only. (so many times) Maybe they also can fix it, since the earlier 9xxx cards don't have these problems. Only the X800 series and maybe above. I don't know why the /onecpu switch is working. In this case maybe something is wrong with the smp support in the AGP or the ATi driver. I would like to know is these cards are working on AMD Opteron dual system (or a AMD 64 X2 system) with AGP or they have the same problems.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure, this is a driver solvable problem, since on Linux, the card is working fine.

11/06/2005 01:21 PM

Author Icon
quackdor

Ya, I guess we just have to play the waiting game for now. /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />
 11/11/2005 07:00 PM

Author Icon
tamasrs

QUOTE(quackdor @ Nov 6 2005, 12:21 PM)Ya, I guess we just have to play the waiting game for now. /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />
[right][snapback]539624[/snapback][/right]

Ok, the new 5.11 driver worked for me, but not anymore /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />. After one day it's over. Why? I don't understand.

Tamas
 11/20/2005 12:44 PM

Author Icon
quackdor

QUOTE(tamasrs @ Nov 11 2005, 08:00 PM)Ok, the new 5.11 driver worked for me, but not anymore /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />. After one day it's over. Why? I don't understand.

Tamas
[right][snapback]543883[/snapback][/right]

Ya they didn't work for me either. /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />
 12/03/2005 10:34 PM

Author Icon
tamasrs

So as I wrote on 2cpu.com:

Well, finally I did it!
So my ATi X800 XL is working perfectly! How? I gave up with MPX so I jumped the the opteron line. With 2x 246 E stepping Opterons and the MSI K8T Master 2 Far7 Mobo. Well, I had 2 2400+ MPs so I' don't have a super fast CPU feeling with the O's. My old machine was fast too.
Only (big) difference is the ATi card is working in 2cpu mod under XP.
Oh well 64 bits, I'm not satisfied (1.5 GB Ram I have). If this problem don't pop up, I would not change now. I would wait for cheap dual core CPU's. I loved my MPX machine....

TRS
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information