Increase font size
Topic Title: MSI K7D-Master-L Mobo & Athlon XP
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/12/2005 08:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/12/2005 08:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mavericko

I have an MSI K7D-Master-L dual socket mobo.
As of now I am running it with a single Athlon XP 2000+.
Now, to increase performance, what is the best single CPU I can add safely ?? (other than Athlon MP)

07/19/2005 05:36 AM

Author Icon
phusg

QUOTE(mavericko @ Jul 13 2005, 01:20 AM)I have an MSI K7D-Master-L dual socket mobo.
As of now I am running it with a single Athlon XP 2000+.
Now, to increase performance, what is the best single CPU I can add safely ?? (other than Athlon MP)
[right][snapback]457757[/snapback][/right]

You can't officially run dual XPs, that's what the MPs are for. So officially there is no CPU you can add.

Unofficially you can cut a bridge on your XP, void your warranty and try and run it with another modded XP as 2 MPs. This is sometimes said to work, but there are also a lot of people who can't get such a system stable, especially with dual mobile XPs.
 08/21/2005 11:31 AM

Author Icon
aklietz

Hello mavericko,

I agree with phusg, that the safest way to a dual cpu configuration would be using two Athlon MP. Especially in a productive / business environment this should be the way to go.

However, I bought my MSI K7D Master-L back in Feb. 2003 together with two Athlon XP 2400+ (Thorougbred, 6-8-1 step) and modded them (btw it's closing a bridge, not cutting one in this case /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' /> ... ). The system has been running stable ever since, I am using it at home. So at least for me it worked, I must admit that the price difference to the MP was too tempting back in 2003 ... /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' /> . But the XP was not meant and is not tested for SMP configurations.

I don't know if your XP 2000+ is a Palomino, a Thoroughbred or a Thorton. But since all of these are no longer produced and have been replaced later by the socket A Semprons (running at higher busspeed) it might be difficult to find a matching second CPU anyway. In my opinion a matching pair would be safer.

Concerning the bus speed limitations on the K7D Master the fastest available cpus would be (not speaking of any overclocking):

- Athlon MP 2800+ (Barton) at 2133/133 (266 DDR) MHz
- Athlon XP 2600+ (Thoroughbred) at 2133/133 MHz (beware, there has been another 2600+ Thoroughbred for 2083/166 MHz)
- Athlon XP 2400+ (Thorton) at 2000/133 MHz
or maybe if you can find them:
- Athlon XP-M 2800+ DTR (Barton) at 2133/133 MHz

Please note, that going from single to dual cpu will not help much with most consumer software including games. With the P4 HT being on the market for quite some time I hoped that would change, but it hasn't really until now. Maybe with the dual-core desktop cpus available now it will change.

SMP for home users makes only really sense if you are running more than one cpu-intensive task at a time. Of course apart of that a SMP system is more responsive, more stable and last but not least cooler (no, I don't mean the temperature /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> ) ...

A question to you (and other K7D Master owners) if I may:

I experienced some problems attempting to upgrade the graphics card on my K7D Master-L, the original one was a ATI Radeon 9000 AIW, working without any problems. I tried to upgrade with a MSI Geforce 6600GT card beginning this year and now with a ASUS Radeon X800 Pro card. In both cases there were resource conflicts and problems with loading the graphic card driver at boot. I appears to be a BIOS problem of some kind and might even be related to the AMD 762 north bridge. If anyone experienced similar problems or even better solved this issue, I would be happy about a short email! Sorry for being a bit off-topic here.

Regards
Alex

-------------------------
I keep trying to locate a meeting of Quantum Physicists. But everytime they set a meeting time, the location changes. And vice versa. -- Unknown

My AMD CPUs currently in use:
- Mob. Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2000/200 MHz (Fuj. Siemens Amilo A 1630 Notebook)
- 2x Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2000/133 MHz (MSI K7D Master-L)
- K6-III 400 @ 400/100 MHz (Tyan S1598C2 Trinity ATX)
- K6-2+ 500 @ 450/75 MHz (Soyo 5XAE5 [i430TX])
 09/15/2005 02:55 PM

Author Icon
Morkai

Hello,

I just read about your "resource problems" when using an Asus X800 with the AMD762 northbridge (on a K7D).

I have exactly the same problem with my system. My Asus X800XT just wont work with the K7D.
If you have a solution to this problem, i would love to know it /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
 10/18/2005 02:04 PM

Author Icon
quackdor

I have the same problem with the the X800 and the K7d master. It drives me nuts. I've consulted many forums and I have even sent a ticket to ATI because it's driving me insane. My system was nearly 100% stable before getting this card. Since I got the x800 it freezes when playing video sometimes besides the "unable to start" issue. I just hope that AMD or MSI will do something about it. *crossing my fingers*
 10/19/2005 01:00 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Cheap upgrade, buy 2 Socket A Sempron 3000+ processors, they will run as dual MP1900+...

12.0 x 133 MHZ ~ 1600MHz

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/19/2005 09:15 PM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

x800 would probably chew a fair bit of power, is you powersupply up to it?
 10/20/2005 09:53 AM

Author Icon
quackdor

Ya 400w Zalman. I just have a feeling that nothing will get done about it. It's just strange that numerous people have this same problem with the combination of the MPX chipset and the X800 video card. I don't think that it's anything that I can fix. Just have to wait. Thanks for the suggestions though.
 11/01/2005 09:08 PM

Author Icon
tamasrs

QUOTE(quackdor @ Oct 18 2005, 12:04 PM)I have the same problem with the the X800 and the K7d master. It drives me nuts.  I've consulted many forums and I have even sent a ticket to ATI because it's driving me insane.  My system was nearly 100% stable before getting this card.  Since I got the x800 it freezes when playing video sometimes besides the "unable to start" issue.  I just hope that AMD or MSI will do something about it.  *crossing my fingers*
[right][snapback]526098[/snapback][/right]

Same here with Gigabyte GA-7dpxdw+. I've reported to ATi also. Maybe we should contact with AMD also about it. If I put /onecpu in the boot.ini (win xp) everything is working fine, or if I manualy load the driver from System->Devices. However on Linux, no problem. ( so maybe I will stop playing with games, or Codega? /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> )
 11/04/2005 07:03 PM

Author Icon
quackdor

Hey I saw your new topic. Ya I've been dealing with this since June, other people even longer. I'm wondering if AMD is aware like you said or if they don't care. What's the point of having 2 cpu's if you have to disable one to make it work. I havn't really been able to figure out how to contact AMD. Most people that you talk to immediately jump to the conclusion that there is something wrong with my configuration or that it's a power problem, but this is not an isolated problem. You're not alone dude.
 11/06/2005 06:03 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

Socket A is dead so I doubt they are working on it...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

03/27/2006 09:15 AM

Author Icon
mavericko

quote:

Originally posted by: aklietz
Hello mavericko,

I don't know if your XP 2000+ is a Palomino, a Thoroughbred or a Thorton. But since all of these are no longer produced and have been replaced later by the socket A Semprons (running at higher busspeed) it might be difficult to find a matching second CPU anyway. In my opinion a matching pair would be safer.

Regards
Alex

Sorry for the loooong delay
Actually I have a Palomino.
Kindly see the screenshot.

The new questions I have are

1> What is the fastest single XP Processor I can put in my MSI-K7D-Master-L board ?
2> If I want to run it into dual configuration, should I get a Palomino only ?

The reasons behind are, I could not get MPs in my locality.(Many dealers have not even heard of it!!!
But second-hand XPs are available for plenty.
 03/27/2006 09:12 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

It supports up to dual MP2800+ with latest bios, it would probably support single MP2800+ or regular XP2800+(266 verion) or XP2600+(266 version) or 2400+...

If you run two Socket A Sempron 3000+ processors in it, they would probably show up as MP1900+.

04/04/2006 08:06 AM

Author Icon
njefferies

You can pin-mod the Sempron 2800/3000's to get 14x or 16x multipliers (1866 or 2133 MHz). This will get you into MP2400 or MP2600 territory.
 12/11/2008 05:31 AM

Author Icon
thad

hello

I have something to say to the K7D Master-L! It doesn't work to update to a video card of ATi Radeon HD 3850 512MB, maybe its also because of the BIOS which allows only an aperture size of 256MB??!

I'dont know what to do because I tried again to install another video card the Nvidia Geforce 7950GT 512MB and this model doen't work either!!!

So i install again my old MSI Geforce 4200Ti 128MB which works well without any problems!

I don't understand why msi does not do anything to support newer AGP cards in the MSI K7D Master-L Mainboard, since the MS-6501 is a higher class Server Mainboard!

I have heared that all the ATI Series 3xxx, 2xxx don't work with the K7D Master-L
SOme people say that ATi Series 1xxx work just fine.. Ex. X1650 & X1950 I can't guarantee, but try it out!!

Greetings

Manuel
 12/11/2008 08:00 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Server motherboards usually do not use high end gaming cards. Anyway, did you feed power to the card with an own cable, which is necessary?
Latest Catalyst driver had some fixes for dual CPU boards, did you try it?

12/11/2008 10:53 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

those boards are obsolete, they are past their end of life...

sounds harsh, but these are the facts, you usually only have 12 to 18 months before something better or newer comes out.

The designers know this, and people keep buying these things.

11/09/2009 09:09 AM

Author Icon
wtpjoco

did you looked in the bios?

Thx Jon

MyWork
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information