Increase font size
Topic Title: Can't read any removable media
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/08/2005 02:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/08/2005 02:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
buggy

Windows 2000 won't allow me to read removable media such as CDs, DVDs, ZIP disks, and floppies. It says the disk is not formatted.

I contacted my motherboard maker (ASUS) and they said I should install the latest AMD chipset drivers.

I tried insalling the IDE Bus Master Version 1.43s Driver but it won't install -- says a driver is already installed. When I tried to uninstall the existing driver, the PC went black. Fortunately it rebooted.

I then tried to install the AMD Driver Pack, Version 1.30 and my PC crashed and would no longer boot Windows! (it reported the disk as being unbootable). I had to install the Hard Drive into another PC and copy the AMDEIDE.SYS file over the new one. This got me back up and running but I still can't read removable media.

I have dual Athlon 1600 MP CPUs in an ASUS A7M266-D motherboard.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!
 12/14/2005 09:39 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

QUOTE(buggy @ Dec 8 2005, 03:25 AM)Windows 2000 won't allow me to read removable media such as CDs, DVDs, ZIP disks, and floppies. It says the disk is not formatted.

I contacted my motherboard maker (ASUS) and they said I should install the latest AMD chipset drivers.

I tried insalling the IDE Bus Master Version 1.43s Driver but it won't install -- says a driver is already installed. When I tried to uninstall the existing driver, the PC went black. Fortunately it rebooted.

I then tried to install the AMD Driver Pack, Version 1.30 and my PC crashed and would no longer boot Windows! (it reported the disk as being unbootable).  I had to install the Hard Drive into another PC and copy the AMDEIDE.SYS file over the new one. This got me back up and running but I still can't read removable media.

I have dual Athlon 1600 MP CPUs in an ASUS A7M266-D motherboard.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!
[right][snapback]562778[/snapback][/right]

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 12/14/2005 01:40 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Physically inspect the mainboard for failing components, pay close attention to the capacitors. If you need a guide, please look at this:
http://www.badcaps.net/ident/' ">http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information