Increase font size
Topic Title: ASUS A7M266D Troubleshooting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/22/2005 11:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/22/2005 11:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mikeeer

After installing a new CPU cooling fan I experienced a problem with what was previously a working system.

I'm running a pair of 1800MP processors and 1 stick of 512 meg ECC registered memory in an ASUS A7M266D MB.

The issue is that the system will not post and gives beeps that the manual says means either the memory is not installed or not recognized.

To troubleshoot I installed both a single stick and then a pair of non ECC, non registered memory (appropriate type and speed) known to be good and still the same problem. The original 512 MB was removed for this test.

I installed the systems original memory (512 MB ECC registered Memory) into a different mother board and it would not recognize it but I'm not sure it could due to design. It is a Biostar M7VIG (VIA 266 chipset). I'm not quite sure how ECC registered memory works.

So my question is: based on the above description what is the likely problem, blown memory or motherboard? Is there anything else I should do to potentially fix the proplem?
 02/24/2005 12:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sintri

ECC should work in other boards as long as they support DDR ram. Worst case you might've hit something or fried something installing the fan. Does your bios even boot up?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information