AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dual MP 2200+ Matching Not Working!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/16/2006 02:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/16/2006 02:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ezpchardware

I have bought two processors (MP 2200+) as matching processors from Ebay.
Installed them carefully replacing my two MP 1000.

Only processor 0 is detected in the bios.

Tyan MPX 2460.
2x 1000 MP (working fine)
2x 2200 MP (supported but the board but Proc 1 not detected in the bios)
2X 512 Registered Memory Modules. (Tried just one module)

Tried
Enermax 450 Watt PS
another 550 Watt PS

Tried to use minimum Periferals.

Procs, Memory, Vid card. Everything else removed or un-plugged.

Still no luck.

At this point, I am out of ideas of what might be wrong.

This system is currently running on 2X 1000 MP processors so both sockets has to be functioning properly.

Contacted Tyan tech support & they couldnt help me either saying they might be non-matching processors but I dont have another dual MP board to test them out on.

Now I am looking into buying two, MP 2000+ hopefully would work fine this time......

Any suggestions?

Thanks
 12/21/2006 11:56 AM

Author Icon
juanr90

Hve the same problem, came here looking for a solution. There is some utility to check and see if the proc's are in fact matched, if they are not that may be the cause.

Any one know how to check to see if the proc's are matched?
 01/16/2007 09:44 AM

Author Icon
cossiecapri

I also have a simular problem with 1500+ chips, in a Tiger s2640 was working for about a year then XP went all buggy (probobly a virus) now the Bios only detects 1 CPU.

i cleaned all the connections and swapped over the CPU`S but still no differance. i`m not sure which processor has fallen over.

i don`t want to re-install XP with only one processor as i was told it won`t recognise and use the second processor until the OS is re-installed

Was also considering buying a new pair of CPU`s but after reading your experiances i don`t think i`ll bother. not sure how the Processors could be matched as they must comunicate to each other before using the Bus,

have read on another forum that two semperon`s wouldwork on the s2640 as you con`t find new MP`s any more

Please someone from AMD help.
 01/16/2007 10:06 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: Marcel R
I have bought two processors (MP 2200+) as matching processors from Ebay.
Installed them carefully replacing my two MP 1000.

Only processor 0 is detected in the bios.
Tyan MPX 2460.
2x 1000 MP (working fine)
2x 2200 MP (supported but the board but Proc 1 not detected in the bios)
2X 512 Registered Memory Modules. (Tried just one module)

Tried
Enermax 450 Watt PS
another 550 Watt PS

Tried to use minimum Periferals.

Procs, Memory, Vid card. Everything else removed or un-plugged.

Still no luck.

At this point, I am out of ideas of what might be wrong.

This system is currently running on 2X 1000 MP processors so both sockets has to be functioning properly.
Contacted Tyan tech support & they couldnt help me either saying they might be non-matching processors but I dont have another dual MP board to test them out on.

Now I am looking into buying two, MP 2000+ hopefully would work fine this time......

Any suggestions?

Thanks

First suggestion, never buy from eBay.

Second suggestion, swap the CPUs see if the same thing happens. If only CPU0 comes up, check the BIOS rev and switch settings. Do you have the correct power supply for the board with all the connectors plugged in?

Install your OS but don't activate it on one CPU. Run CPU-Z. Shut down install the other CPU in CPU0 and run CPU-Z. Compare them. Check the writing on top of each CPU and copy down all the information. I usually do this before installing CPUs in case I have issues.

-------------------------
Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 01/18/2007 02:48 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Also guys, these motherboards are quite "long in the tooth"... even if they have decent hardware, not all hardware lasts forever...

So everyone together now..

"Check your Caps"

This is your daily Bad Capacitor PSA - Thank you for your co-operation

PS - If you can't find two MP2000+ processors, the closest you may be able to get is two Sempron 3000+'s, which will show up as two MP1900+'s.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/23/2007 06:38 PM

Author Icon
MPX2

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="<_<" border="0" alt="dry.gif" /> [font=Franklin Gothic Medium][color=#663366]Hi ... Well I am a EBAYer and have had LOTS of good buying.. so,,,,
well besides the two gem 2600+ t-Breds I just dropped onto my IWILL MPX2 replacing the 2000x , I would ask if you have any chance of a BIOS upgrade? Is it reading them as MPs / or xps in the bios?,, well the one it does read...
That swapping one for the other to check for a dud is a good Idea.. and then maybe back to see if the ol' ones will still work, and you haven't accidentally done in a socket,, happens... watch out for the goop if it has cooked out (whatever was used for thermal material/pad) and made its way into a pin or two(dozen) a thought.. ...
and you are sure you did get MPs not xps right......quick ,,, check the numbers....... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />
Well loz u luck and I luv the ol boards, a pain in the butt as they may be,, I KNOW ,, ATI and me and a
X800 XT AIW vid card right now are at battle... friggn frackn grrrr grummble,, I hate InstallShield sometimes...
david
 01/25/2007 10:59 AM

Author Icon
ccb056

I also have the Tyan Tiger MPX S2466N-4M.

Do you have the S2466N version, or the S2466N-4M?

Have you updated your BIOS?

You don't need matched CPU for the Tyan. You don't even need MPs to run SMP.

I bought 2 different Athlon XP Mobile 2800's from 2 different ebayers at 2 different times. Installed them in my Tyan, with a pin mod to lock the multipliers, and it has been running flawlessly for over a year. I do SETI 24x7 and gaming.

ComputerBB
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information