Increase font size
Topic Title: Non-posting pc.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/17/2006 01:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/17/2006 01:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zozio

Ok guys, a friend brought his pc over to my house for me to take a look at because he was having problems with it. Turns out it was his hard drive so I threw in an older 40gb hard drive and everything worked perfectly. So I put the whole case back together and nothing... the fans go on but nothing else. No beeps, no nothing. I unplugged everything except mobo, ram, cpu, and video card and still nothing.

I have tried another GPU in there which I know that works and still nothing.

Your help is much appreciated,
Zozio

-------------------------
 04/17/2006 01:09 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

First how do you know it was his hard drive?
Okay back to the main issue, have you tried a different power supply?
Have you tried taking everything out of the case, and running it on a cardboard box, or piece of wood, to make sure the board is not shorting?

Also can you give the specs on this computer?
 04/17/2006 01:14 AM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
First how do you know it was his hard drive?
Okay back to the main issue, have you tried a different power supply?
Have you tried taking everything out of the case, and running it on a cardboard box, or piece of wood, to make sure the board is not shorting?

Also can you give the specs on this computer?

Hmm. I'll try those things. I'm sort of a noob to these sorts of things as i've never had something like this happen to me before, I guess this will be a good learning experience.

Specs:
ECS K7S5A
512mb (2x256) sdram
athlon mp 1700+
geforce 2 graphics card... forget exactly which one.

04/17/2006 02:06 AM

Author Icon
Zozio

Ok guys, I put the pc on cardboard and when I was taking it out I found a 1 inch screw in behind the motherboard. Apparently the guy who owned the pc had problems like the one I described once in a while. Anyways I checked the components and everything is working happily now. Thanks for the help BV. Too bad I didn't know that he was having this repetative problem until now .

04/17/2006 03:32 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

Ok, I put the computer back together this morning, and now i am getting beeps. So I took it all out again and the pc is back on a piece of cardboard. So I need help again.

Does anyone know what a whole bunch of repetative beeps means? I'm guessing its not good .

EDIT: To be more specific there were 10 beeps then a pause then 3 more i think.

04/17/2006 03:58 PM

Author Icon
jack1314

Make sure ram, graphics and cpu are all seated properly....award bios continuous beeps generally ram problem, if they are two tone beeps probably cpu, 1 long and 2 short or 1 long and 3 short is graphics and continous high pitched while running is overheated cpu.

Athlon 64 3000+
2 x 512mb pc2700
Nvidia Geforce4 440 GO 64mb
NEC DVD +/- RW ND-6450A
Windows xp pro
 04/17/2006 04:15 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

AMI bios beep codes...

good info here:

http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

http://www.rhcf.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/forum/1.html?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

04/17/2006 04:28 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

Wow thats really helpful. I think it may be the ram. I'll try putting some ram from my P3 system in to see it makes a difference.

Update: Hmm... no avail. 2 quick beeps immediately followed by 8 beeps then a few seconds pause. Long pause. 2 beeps. Short pause. 1 beep. I think I'll try a dif graphics card.

04/17/2006 04:34 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

The board will often work best with DDR.. the SDRAM slots are pretty much there for people who wanted to upgrade from K6-2 to Socket A...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

04/17/2006 04:51 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington
The board will often work best with DDR.. the SDRAM slots are pretty much there for people who wanted to upgrade from K6-2 to Socket A...

Yeah well my ddr is in the pc that i'm currently using so I just used sd. Anyways it turns out it was the graphics card. I threw in a chaintech volari v3 (horrible card) that I was given and it worked . Thanks so much for the help everyone.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information