Increase font size
Topic Title: A7M266-D CPU0 is MP capable. CPU1 is not available
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/20/2006 05:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/20/2006 05:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jhschaay

Hi guys,

I have a Linux box (FC4) running with an Asus A7M266-D MoBo and a single XP2200 for quite some time. Recently I bought a pair of MP1600 and I was planning to replace the XP2200 by the MPs.

For my disapointment, after replacing the single XP by the pair the MPs I got this message during boot:

QUOTECPU0:*AMD Athlon™ MP 1600+   /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
CPU1: None    /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' />
DDR DIMM Clock : 266 MHz
CPU0 is MP capable. CPU1 is not available.   /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />  /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> 

I switched CPUs from one slot to the other and I got the same message. Actually I can boot without problems but my Linux recognize just one CPU.

I tried to play with the BIOS settings but anything helped at all. The firmware version on my Mobo is (I believe) the most recent 1010.

I´m running out of ideas really fast here, and I would appreciate any suggestions on what should I do to have my dual cpu mother board running.

best regards.
 01/20/2006 05:17 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

First thing I'd look at is the mainboard itself. Check for failed components, the probability for failed capacitors is higher on the MP boards since they have more capacitors than a regular non-MP board. You have verified both processors worked by your description above, I'd look at the mainboard then your OS... I'm not familiar with Linux enough to tell if it is an OS problem.

I'm a hardware guy /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/20/2006 05:23 PM

Author Icon
jhschaay

Hi MD Willington,

These messages came during the early boot process, in other words, before the OS layer. I will visualy inspect the board to see if I can find anything suspicious, but I´m affraid I don´t know what to look for .... any hint ? /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' />

01/20/2006 06:27 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

Yep, I can send you a link to some pictures of what to look for.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/s...d.ph...ight=hall+shame' ">http://www.badcaps.net/forum/s...4&highlight=hall+shame

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/21/2006 01:56 PM

Author Icon
jhschaay

Me again,

I have inspected the board and couldn´t find anything out of place or damaged (visualy saying). This morning I bought a new PSU, supposed to give me 700W (I doubt that, but anyway...) 300W more than the board manual states as minimal requirement. I didn´t help at all /mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' /> . Same message keeps showing when I boot the server:

CPU0 is MP capable. CPU1 is not available.

As far as I know. Both CPUs are working fine, as I tested them individualy and both were working. Is there any test I can do to see if there is something wrong with the 2nd CPU "slot" ?

01/23/2006 12:52 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

with the board removed from the setup you can test the socket, but it involves removing the processor and individually checking the continuity of each pins through hole with a DMM...

You can do it, but it will take a while.

Insert a very fine wire in one hole at a time, place one probe on the wire, then find the corresponding through hole on the opposite side of the board. If the cicruit is continous then the pin that goes into that hole is good to go.

Not very fun!

MD

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information