Increase font size
Topic Title: MP system freezes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/15/2006 12:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/15/2006 12:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheThiefMaster

(Specs below)

Problem:

I have been experiencing random freezing of my system, normally when accessing my sii3114 sata card, but the problem seemed to disappear when I moved it from a pci socket to a pci-x (64bit/66MHz) socket. I recently installed a gigabit network card into the pci socket and I've had the freezing problem again, I've yet to try putting it into the spare pci-x socket. Is there any known problems with the 762 chipset's pci bus that could cause this?
Also, since switching to using the sata card's raid-5 (from windows server's), I've noticed corruption on the raid array, which seems to only happen when reading data (the data on the array seems to be intact, it just can't be read reliably). I've yet to track down whether this is the sata card, the hdds, or the motherboard's pci-x bus (I've found people on the net who claim that they've had problems with all of them). I tried flashing the hdd bios using one found on the net, but it timed out waiting for a hdd ready signal. Any suggestions here?

Specs:

Name: Duality
Motherboard: EPOX M762A (latest, 18 dec 02 bios, AMD 762 chipset)
Cpu: 2x XP 2400 / XP2400 + XPM2400 (see notes)
Video: geForce 2 / Windows Terminal Services
Ram: 2x 512MB ecc ddr333 + 1x 512MB ecc ddr266
Storage: 20GB IDE boot drive, 4x Maxtor DM10 160GB sata raid-5 storage array
Expansion: Pci Silicon Image 3114 (flashed to raid-5)
Expansion: Pci Realtek 10/100 Ethernet
Expansion: Pci D-Link Gigabit Ethernet
PSU: Tagan 480W

CPU notes: I was using a pair of modded athlon xp 2400 cpus (both TB B, and same fsb and multi, but you could see the traces on one cpu's base and not the other). I blew one up, and I'm now running the surviving 2400 and a mobile 2400 (Barton) together. The bios complains the cpus don't match and tries to boot in single cpu mode, but windows uses both cpus anyway. All problems existed before I switched the 2nd cpu. The cpus are currently clocked down to 100MHz fsb instead of their stock 133.
Hdd notes: I'm using a 4x Maxtor DM10 160GB sata raid-5 on a sii3114 pci card for storage. The maxtors are different versions, 1 Maxtor 6L160M0 and 3 Maxtor 6B160M0. 6L160M0 is 1G10 firmware, others are 1B70. 6L160 is 3.61GB smaller and runs UDMA mode 5 instead of UDMA mode 6.
Network notes: I disabled the onboard intel network controller because it caused frequent blue-screen crashes, and replaced it with the realtek card. The gigabit card is a new addition.

Memory passed Memtest86 and cpus pass 6+ hours of prime95.

01/24/2006 01:03 AM

Author Icon
romelc

QUOTE(TheThiefMaster @ Jan 15 2006, 10:38 AM)(Specs below)

Problem:

I have been experiencing random freezing of my system, normally when accessing my sii3114 sata card, but the problem seemed to disappear when I moved it from a pci socket to a pci-x (64bit/66MHz) socket. I recently installed a gigabit network card into the pci socket and I've had the freezing problem again, I've yet to try putting it into the spare pci-x socket. Is there any known problems with the 762 chipset's pci bus that could cause this?
Also, since switching to using the sata card's raid-5 (from windows server's), I've noticed corruption on the raid array, which seems to only happen when reading data (the data on the array seems to be intact, it just can't be read reliably). I've yet to track down whether this is the sata card, the hdds, or the motherboard's pci-x bus (I've found people on the net who claim that they've had problems with all of them). I tried flashing the hdd bios using one found on the net, but it timed out waiting for a hdd ready signal. Any suggestions here?

Specs:

Name: Duality
Motherboard: EPOX M762A (latest, 18 dec 02 bios, AMD 762 chipset)
Cpu: 2x XP 2400 / XP2400 + XPM2400 (see notes)
Video: geForce 2 / Windows Terminal Services
Ram: 2x 512MB ecc ddr333 + 1x 512MB ecc ddr266
Storage: 20GB IDE boot drive, 4x Maxtor DM10 160GB sata raid-5 storage array
Expansion: Pci Silicon Image 3114 (flashed to raid-5)
Expansion: Pci Realtek 10/100 Ethernet
Expansion: Pci D-Link Gigabit Ethernet
PSU: Tagan 480W

CPU notes: I was using a pair of modded athlon xp 2400 cpus (both TB B, and same fsb and multi, but you could see the traces on one cpu's base and not the other). I blew one up, and I'm now running the surviving 2400 and a mobile 2400 (Barton) together. The bios complains the cpus don't match and tries to boot in single cpu mode, but windows uses both cpus anyway. All problems existed before I switched the 2nd cpu. The cpus are currently clocked down to 100MHz fsb instead of their stock 133.
Hdd notes: I'm using a 4x Maxtor DM10 160GB sata raid-5 on a sii3114 pci card for storage. The maxtors are different versions, 1 Maxtor 6L160M0 and 3 Maxtor 6B160M0. 6L160M0 is 1G10 firmware, others are 1B70. 6L160 is 3.61GB smaller and runs UDMA mode 5 instead of UDMA mode 6.
Network notes: I disabled the onboard intel network controller because it caused frequent blue-screen crashes, and replaced it with the realtek card. The gigabit card is a new addition.

Memory passed Memtest86 and cpus pass 6+ hours of prime95.
[right][snapback]595162[/snapback][/right]

Hello,

For one I would try flashing your motherboard with a newer Bios version if there is one newer than what you have, meaning a Beta version. Second, if things worked before adding your gigabit card, chances are there is a conflict with regards to your add in cards and this card, probably not apparently known by windows. Try reseating them in different slots and/or changing their PCI IRQ resources and manually assigning which slot gets what IRQ number through the motherboard's bios. this usually will do the trick.

Remember, just because you have expansion slots doesn't mean anything you put there will plug n play properly...sometimes pci /irq configuration takes awhile before you get stability, because it depends on whether all addin cards adhere to the pci /pci-x standards.
 01/24/2006 08:45 AM

Author Icon
TheThiefMaster

QUOTE(romelc @ Jan 24 2006, 07:03 AM)Hello,

For one I would try flashing your motherboard with a newer Bios version if there is one newer than what you have, meaning a Beta version. Second, if things worked before adding your gigabit card, chances are there is a conflict with regards to your add in cards and this card, probably not apparently known by windows. Try reseating them in different slots and/or changing their PCI IRQ resources and manually assigning which slot gets what IRQ number through the motherboard's bios. this usually will do the trick.

Remember, just because you have expansion slots doesn't mean anything you put there will plug n play properly...sometimes pci /irq configuration takes awhile before you get stability, because it depends on whether all addin cards adhere to the pci /pci-x standards.
[right][snapback]603326[/snapback][/right]

It IS the newest bios. Took me a few hours to find, too. I removed the barton cpu again, it was causing problems because it was somehow running at 600MHz compared to the 2000MHz of the other cpu. I didn't know it was even possible to run them at different speeds (same fsb). I suppose there may have been some core revision conflicts in there too. I've just realised that the gigabit card is in the same pci socket as the sata card was when it was crashing before, I think maybe that socket has an irq conflict. In fact, checking it now, all three of my graphics card (agp), sata-raid (pci-x), and gigabit (pci) all share irq 17. And as I don't use the gfx card, the sata-raid card is causing corruption, and the gigabit is causing crashes we may have found the problem.

Thanks, I'll post again with how the changes go next time I shut it down.
 02/15/2006 09:19 PM

Author Icon
TheThiefMaster

Ok, moving the raid card to the other pci-x socket seem's to have sorted it's problem, but the gigabit card is still not working right (even after changing the socket). I'm going to give up on that one for now, it's enough to have my raid array working properly.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information