Topic Title: Linux and AMD
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/08/2008 03:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/08/2008 03:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Firestrider

Is there any reason why some people would choose an AMD processor over an Intel processor when using some Linux distro?

I remember like 2 years ago some people choose AMD for Linux. Is there reason to do this now?
 11/13/2008 04:27 AM

Author Icon
monte84
Elite

I dont think so, it seems they kernels are no longer developed individually as they once were. You used to have an SMP kernel for more than one processor or core, this is not the case anymore. Choose which satisfies your taste and budget.

-------------------------
Phenom II X 1055T @3.64Ghz 1.425V
NB @ 2800Mhz HTT @ 2800Mhz
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 1866 8-8-8-24-33-1T
AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB GDDR5 shaders @1536 OC to 840/1300
 11/26/2008 08:02 AM

Author Icon
anonzzz

Based on my own experience:

For embedded project, I must use Mini ITX board.
The available choice are: Via motherboard with VIA CPU, MSI motherboard with AMD Geode or Intel motherboard with Atom CPU.

Unfortunately the Intel motherboard with Atom motherboard have a strange Realtek RTL-8102EL network chipset without any driver for Linux.

VIA graphic driver for Linux (Unichrome) is slow and buggy and the documentation is not available.

Inside Linux kernel there is a optimized code for AMD Geode.

Therefore I choose MSI motherboard with AMD Geode.
 11/29/2008 11:25 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: Firestrider

Is there any reason why some people would choose an AMD processor over an Intel processor when using some Linux distro?

I remember like 2 years ago some people choose AMD for Linux. Is there reason to do this now?

If you have an IGP setup, AMD's IGPs are a ton better than Intel's. They are much faster and Intel is having some hiccups with getting newer chips like the G4x-series IGPs fully supported with their Linux Xorg drivers, while AMD's drivers are improving greatly. Otherwise, an Intel machine will run Linux just as well as an AMD unit does (or a POWER unit, or a SPARC unit, or an ARM unit...)

12/11/2008 10:02 AM

Author Icon
lyrics

I have tried tried this option and failed, my system crashed and had to rebuild again. Can some one guide me the proper installation process of linux
 12/19/2008 09:50 AM

Author Icon
MrHyde03
Code Monkey

What distro are you using? It's different depending on the distro. (most of the time..)

Desktop - Windows 7 x86 RTM
Laptop - Windows 7 x64 RTM
The good ol days
CSF www.compsupportforums.com
 12/24/2008 01:53 AM

Author Icon
rikilshah

Which is the Distro for AMD ?

I've tried Mint and Ubuntu

But both are showing some error during installation

Someone told me that it is because of AMD

Is it so??Is there any specific setup for linux there??

Time to judge yourself........
 12/25/2008 03:45 PM

Author Icon
vplessky

I would prefer AMD due to Virtualization support.
Which is better, IMHO, comparing to Intel.

All modern Turion processors from AMD support hardware-accelerated virtualization
See http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_15781,00.html for details.

I recently found that my Intel Core 2 Duo-powered laptop doesn't support hardware-accelerated virtualization (T5500 processor), while 2-year old laptop with AMD Turion 64 X2 (TL-56) suports it!
And I need to add here that AMD laptop costed me about $300 less than Intel-based laptop (T5500). I bought both about 2 years ago, same month.

Just installed VirtualBox 2.1 in Windows Vista, and did fresh installs of Fedora 10 and Mandriva 2009. Works like a charm!
And installation (from ISO image on hard disk) was REALY FAST - about 5 or 6 minutes all together!
Just remember to enable AMD-V in settings for Virtual Machine when you start installation.

Vadim Plessky

01/28/2009 12:28 AM

Author Icon
Jason08

for security reason linux is the best...so I think this is one of the reason to take linux services...
 01/29/2009 06:09 AM

Author Icon
Abbey

AMD offers an x86 compatible family of embedded processors that are suitable for Linux-based designs and because of Linux popularity, there are numerous Linux software and hardware companies on the market ready to support the requirements of embedded developers.
 01/29/2009 10:50 PM

Author Icon
regmac

Originally posted by: Jason08

for security reason linux is the best...so I think this is one of the reason to take linux services...

I've known a lot of information system with Linux installed on their server. I've tried asking questions like why do you choose this OS.. And they got common answers, Linux is robust and more secure compared to the other. But honestly, for me, I find Linux GUI hard to navigate some times.
 02/01/2009 04:51 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

That's because making Linux look spiffy has become a priority only in the last few years, whereas with Windows and Mac OS it's been a priority from day one.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 05/08/2009 09:05 AM

Author Icon
lomb

There is one thing AMD ought to do:
Provide the metadata leyout for raidXPERT to heinz mauelshagen so dmraid will work out of the box.
And while they're at it, provide him with a box for testing... ;-)
 07/07/2009 12:43 AM

Author Icon
HippyOnABeachInMexico

Originally posted by: anonzzz

Based on my own experience:

For embedded project, I must use Mini ITX board.

The available choice are: Via motherboard with VIA CPU, MSI motherboard with AMD Geode or Intel motherboard with Atom CPU.

Unfortunately the Intel motherboard with Atom motherboard have a strange Realtek RTL-8102EL network chipset without any driver for Linux.

VIA graphic driver for Linux (Unichrome) is slow and buggy and the documentation is not available.

Inside Linux kernel there is a optimized code for AMD Geode.

Therefore I choose MSI motherboard with AMD Geode.

The rt8101 driver should work for this.
You can also try sabayonlinux.org as they have a livedvd with core or umpc / eeepc or full install kde / gnome xfce and as far as I know the driver has been added some time ago 1 year or more to their modded kernels they use, worth a try.

Easy enough to genkernel and xconfig to add it as module in the kernel or load as module at boot if it works for you.

Run lsmod and lspci top see if it is recognized / unkown 1234:3de2 code to search for the chip and driver to be used that works together.
 07/07/2009 12:52 AM

Author Icon
HippyOnABeachInMexico

If using gentoo based distro then you can add to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 dmraid and let it load by default at boot
or
dodmraid doraid0 dorai1 doscsi dodm-mod
added to grub.conf if you installed anything raid related and then vgchange-ay to activate lvm or raid partitions if you do not yet have nodes created.

Some of the livedvd distro's I used stop using default dmraid as it ends up seeing any 2 hd's as raid if there is a raid controller present and when getting grub to work properly it incorrectly list /dev-mapper/rubish/jgbakdjgb1 instead of /dev/sda as it should.

Heck if I can get a pc from AMD/ATI I could have fixed the 3300HD driver bug way back already and could have have Ati stream working on several program, learning opencl is not a big deal.
 07/07/2009 01:06 AM

Author Icon
HippyOnABeachInMexico

To the original question / topic.

You can use any 32bit linux distro with any 32bit or better 64bit cpu and 64bit with 64bit cpu. You do get opteron or i686 or x86 optimized versions and this in english = i686 pentuim 2 based pc's or better somethign like this, x86 = i486 pc's or better and opteron is 64bit opteron or quad amd optimized and might even work for 64bit intel "nocona" types.

99% of linux distro's is either genkernel / generic and you have to fine tune it but tuning it = gentoo based linux distro's as best option "calculate linux or sabayonlinux or gentoo or systemrescuecd" or custom build for say only sparc or 64bit distro's or generic almost anything else out there.

64 bit is not as well supported as 32bit so could possibly find more issues and less fixes for 64bit distro's. 64bit = intel / amd that is 64bit enabled.

Do you want boring linux and add what you need or pimped out linux with fancy desktop and gimmick already done for you ?

Resources
distrowatch.com or linuxtracker.org or http://www.linux.org/ and for what is happening where www.cia.vc to see where what is happening.

You do not need the latest anything in linux only if something is broke you replace it with something that works = best option.
You can also use free virtualbox.org emulator and run linux on windows or linux on linux and test before you commit to using it. This way you can break it and easy fix where installed to pc and then break / fix is a bit more tricky.

PClinuxOs2009 or the mini / zen version = very user friendly and easy transition to linux. If you want fancy and latest customized linux sabayonlinux.org , see the screenshots on their webpages.

Hope this helps.
 09/09/2009 09:05 PM

Author Icon
indovb

Intel or AMD does not matter with all Linux distributions.
 09/17/2009 02:22 AM

Author Icon
keddy1

is there any other distro other than ubunto and mint for AMD

Edited: 09/17/2009 at 02:33 AM by keddy1
 11/26/2009 07:59 PM

Author Icon
Sugarfoot

Go here. ">http://www.zegeniestud...et/.....php?lang=en

This site helps you choose a distro appropriate to your requirements.

When installing Ubuntu, you may need to modify the install process, available via the F keys. You need to start install at first offer not after booting live cd to desktop. For my desktop to install I had to disable ACPI before installation would complete. Lee

There is plenty of help here. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

Win XP Sp3 / Ubuntu 9.1 64 bit, Antec P182, AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Black, Asus M3A-H/HDMI , 6 GB Kingston 1066 HyperX, ATI 3450 & 3250 graphics, Seagate 500 GB SATA, & 320 GB ATA HDs, LG 20X DVD R/RW, Corsair tx750 PSU. HP zv6130us laptop.

Edited: 02/27/2011 at 06:37 PM by AMD Processors Moderator
 01/02/2010 11:52 PM

Author Icon
elderco

Chips don't matter so much with these modern linux distros. The ones I have seen are nearly plug and play for the install, especially if your hardware is over a year old or so. Ubuntu really is the all around simplest transition I have found for windows users. My home computers dual boot ubuntu and windows. The grub menu lets you select. I install windows first leaving 30-50 gb free space in a separate partition and then put Ubuntu on the free partition sharing the windows document folders with the linux. It works well. In the event of a zero day exploit, just boot up in linux and be worry free.

Here in Tampa where it's usually too hot and the bugs and gators are usually too big. Tampa Computer Repair
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information