Topic Title: Linux and AMD
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/08/2008 03:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/15/2010 07:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Gabqro
Lurker

Hello all. i wanna use my old compaq desktop again, but i wanna install a linux distribution , has a AMD K4 processor, 128 Ram Memory and SIS 530 motherboard, any suggestion?, i already tried xubuntu, but runs slowly,...

thanks to all..
 08/15/2010 08:19 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

A K5 or K6 (there is no K4) processor and 128 MB of RAM is going to run pretty much anything remotely modern slowly. D*mn Small Linux (aka DSL) is probably a little better than Xubuntu, but don't expect any miracles.

-------------------------
 08/15/2010 10:55 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

You might look at Puppy Linux too.

09/24/2010 03:07 PM

Author Icon
dancingmadrb3
Lurker

Yeh not many options for older CPU's, no OS does well for them these days though linux might give you another year out of it.
As for the AMD on linux debate, I will have to give props to intel as of late as in recent years its got better with supporting non Windows OS's.
The days of "Wintel" are gone thanks to Intels dealings with Apple, non Windows based systems are being looked at intel quite legitimately and that means linux.
Drivers for most Intel GMA cards are good, the relationship between linux and Intel has increased as intel is being more active in its development behind closed doors.
AMD on the other hand seems to be going in the opposite direction, while the processors are good the graphics cards you may get built in tend to be more mixed.
This is thanks to ATI, when it was own ATI was terrible and when AMD took them over things improved but not by much.
Drivers for ATI's on linux are always dropping, and even though the open source drivers are developing they are not quite there yet.
So in short linux support in intel is increasing while AMD and ATI are dropping down in the list a near polatr opposite of how it was about 5 years ago.
Say what you will about Intel or its GMA video cards but most of them do well with linux when you look at the posts about them.
ATI is very troublesome, thus why I may buy a nvidia card with my future computer build.
 09/26/2010 01:26 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

A few years ago I switched to NVIDIA mostly because of Linux driver problems with ATI. It seemed that every update in Ubuntu would break the ATI drivers. I kept re-installing them until finally they would no longer install properly. I must say the situation was beyond just being an annoyance and finally led to me scrapping ATI altogether. However, I finally went back to ATI with my current 5770 and the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver in Ubuntu has worked surprisingly well. They installed easily (Administration - Hardware Driver menu) and have yet to break. So at least in Ubuntu, I must say from my perspective the ATI graphics drivers are much better than in years past.

12/05/2010 11:06 PM

Author Icon
rach
Lurker

different strokes for different folks
it depends whats your budget and usage.
 01/15/2011 02:19 AM

Author Icon
torthese
Lurker

howdy!
in my way,I would choose the AMD platform, though someone said it would be bit slower than Intel,with it,there would be less errors occur onto the system,like the system freeze under running many programmes.
more, my next goal of notebook would be the AMD platform as well
thks
torry

No advertising/dodgy links please
 08/17/2011 05:26 AM

Author Icon
paulanderson

For security purposes Linux and Intel processor is the best..
 08/17/2011 11:03 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Originally posted by: paulanderson

For security purposes Linux and Intel processor is the best..

Explain?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

11/15/2011 08:50 PM

Author Icon
davidjams25
Lurker

Hello,
I am new user of Linux.
so,I have many problem.
Please, give me a guide book.
Thanks.

David jams
 11/21/2011 10:11 PM

Author Icon
jetlee
Lurker

AMD Sempron 145 is a single core CPU?
 11/22/2011 01:03 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Originally posted by: jetlee

AMD Sempron 145 is a single core CPU?

Yep....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819103888

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information