AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What is the best hardware for linux compatibility
Topic Summary: Building a new system with Phenom II...
Created On: 03/07/2009 02:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/07/2009 02:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
r250r

I'm building a new system with a Phenom II (I'll probably wait for the X4 925), and since I mostly run Linux, hardware compatibility with Linux is important.

-If you have an AM3 mobo you use with Linux, did you have any trouble finding or using SATA, SATA RAID, audio, or ethernet drivers? Were the drivers included in the kernel?

-How good is the OpenGL acceleration with kernel driver vs ATI driver?

-One thing bugging me with my current (4 year old) Athlon64/nv system is that suspend/hibernate was such a pain to set up, that I gave up. Is swsusp/tuxonice trouble-free with new AMD/ATI chipsets and graphics cards?

Thank you
 03/09/2009 04:20 AM

Author Icon
monte84
Elite

OpenGL has really improved as of the 9.1 driver you can watch video with composite and no flickering!!! As for RAID, you will have to use linux software RAID (sb600/750 RAID is software anyway). But it will work. im not AM3, im AM2+ with SB600, but everything should be a go. Note though, if your using Ubuntu when you go to install i would opt for the alternate install cd, as it tries to use composite when running from cd and it probably wont start, that was my case anyway. but i prefer using Debian.

-------------------------
Phenom II X 1055T @3.64Ghz 1.425V
NB @ 2800Mhz HTT @ 2800Mhz
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 1866 8-8-8-24-33-1T
AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB GDDR5 shaders @1536 OC to 840/1300
 03/10/2009 10:48 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: r250r

I'm building a new system with a Phenom II (I'll probably wait for the X4 925), and since I mostly run Linux, hardware compatibility with Linux is important.

-If you have an AM3 mobo you use with Linux, did you have any trouble finding or using SATA, SATA RAID, audio, or ethernet drivers? Were the drivers included in the kernel?

All of the socket AM3 motherboards I have seen use the AMD 780/790 series chipset and use the SB700 or SB750 southbridge. Those units are generally well-supported under Linux:

-SATA: AMD southbridges have AHCI SATA controllers, which is well-supported under Linux (sata_ahci module).
-SATA RAID: use Linux md software RAID, which is well-supported.
-Audio: no integrated audio codec, but most boards use an HD Audio codec (snd_hda_intel) and most are well-supported.
-Ethernet: no integrated Ethernet MAC, but just about every GbE controller is well-supported under Linux.

The drivers are all included in the kernel.

-How good is the OpenGL acceleration with kernel driver vs ATI driver?

Right now, the Xorg driver for ATi cards doesn't have all that great of 3D support for R600 and later GPUs (the HD 3200/3300 in the 780G/790GX is an R6xx part.) The fglrx driver is much, much better.

-One thing bugging me with my current (4 year old) Athlon64/nv system is that suspend/hibernate was such a pain to set up, that I gave up. Is swsusp/tuxonice trouble-free with new AMD/ATI chipsets and graphics cards?

Good question. I didn't get to test suspend/resume on the 780G/SB700 unit I built since I built it for somebody and they insisted it run Windows and I only got to test Linux via a live CD.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information