Increase font size
Topic Title: Linux/Ubuntu 32 or 64-bit?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/05/2009 08:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/05/2009 08:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kevin36

Hey guys I have to computers that I want to put Ubuntu on. The problem is, I don't know which version I can put on because I don't if my processors are capable of 32 or 64 bit.

The first computer is an older desktop, and is a HP Pavilion a645c. It has a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (I think 2.2 Ghz), with 434.4 MiB of memory... I'm not sure if that is 32 or 64 bit.

The other computer is a cheap laptop I just bought at Wal-Mart. It is a Acer Aspire 5515 and has a AMD Athlon Processor 2650e (I think 1.6 Ghz) in it. It also has 2.7 GiB of memory. Again is this a 32 or 64 bit capable system??

Thanks to all of you for the help, I'm sorry for the newbie questions!!
 04/05/2009 10:21 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: kevin36

Hey guys I have to computers that I want to put Ubuntu on. The problem is, I don't know which version I can put on because I don't if my processors are capable of 32 or 64 bit.

The first computer is an older desktop, and is a HP Pavilion a645c. It has a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (I think 2.2 Ghz), with 434.4 MiB of memory... I'm not sure if that is 32 or 64 bit.

The XP 3200+ is a 32-bit-only processor, so you will need to use the 32-bit version of Ubuntu. I have that exact same chip and it runs Debian Lenny 32-bit (which is what Ubuntu 8.10 is based on) very nicely.

The other computer is a cheap laptop I just bought at Wal-Mart. It is a Acer Aspire 5515 and has a AMD Athlon Processor 2650e (I think 1.6 Ghz) in it. It also has 2.7 GiB of memory. Again is this a 32 or 64 bit capable system??

Thanks to all of you for the help, I'm sorry for the newbie questions!!

The Athlon 2650e is a 64-bit processor, like all processors AMD has made in the last three years or so. You have 3 GB of physical RAM installed on that machine, so it's really up to you whether to install a 32-bit or 64-bit OS. I would probably just say to go with the 64-bit version since it's a tad faster than the 32-bit version and the slightly larger memory usage of the 64-bit version won't be an issue with 3 GB RAM.

Don't worry about asking questions you think are too simple. Even the smartest computer expert out there didn't know anything about computers at one time.

-------------------------
 07/09/2009 01:01 PM

Author Icon
hendraiskandar

Is it simple to install Ubuntu on this acer 5515 ? Is the installation from Ubuntu website is enough ?

Regards,
Hdr
 07/09/2009 06:27 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: hendraiskandar

Is it simple to install Ubuntu on this acer 5515 ? Is the installation from Ubuntu website is enough ?

Regards,

Hdr

It should work fine. You can test to see if the installation will go well by burning the CD image you get from the Ubuntu site and just letting it boot in the CD drive of your computer. That will not install Ubuntu- it runs the OS off the CD in live mode and lets you try it out before installation. When you install, you will need to select "install" in the first screen that pops up after the computer boots from the CD instead of just letting it boot to the live CD desktop.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information