Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrading to multi-core
Topic Summary: from a 939 pin 3500+
Created On: 04/26/2009 12:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/26/2009 12:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
whitemateriax

This computer uses:
Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit
Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit

Current specs include
|| AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
|| ASUS A8N5X ACPI BIOS Revision 0902
|| 2x512MB DDR333 (dual channel mode)
|| 7300 GT

939 dual core chips are expensive and hard to find. Besides I don't want to to update an older system. Here is the list...

1. new chip
(leaning more towards a 2 core chip - the idea is to get one of those cheap cpus and clock it over 3 Ghz+)
[I have a zalman copper fan but open to suggestions for fanless cooling solutions]

2. new motherboard
(major overclocking, performance, and stability)

3. new memory
(4 GBs)

4. new power supply
(going to put the old one in another system)

Linux is what I use 90% of the time. I want my new system to be able to handle multi-tasking like a hot knife through butter. Looking for suggestions from other Linux users who have taken the path to multi-core already. From upgrade to upgrade the time frame is usually a solid 5 years. I'd like to do it right the first time. Thank you in advance.

Edited: 04/27/2009 at 08:02 PM by whitemateriax
 04/26/2009 05:03 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

Hi,
I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit a couple of days ago and have no issues with the hardware listed in my sig. I know my hardware is a bit outdated now, but I've no reason to upgrade at this time. Nvidia 3-D drivers were easy to install, my wireless internet works great, and my wireless printing was easier to setup in Ubuntu than in XP or Vista. I can't imagine you would have any issues using Ubuntu with current hardware. The only question may be the best overclocker for you which others here will need to comment on. Good luck!

-------------------------
 04/26/2009 09:30 PM

Author Icon
whitemateriax

The new release of Ubuntu feels even faster than before - It seems to manage memory better as well. With 8.10 sometimes if to many applications were open it would freeze up and I'd have to reboot or sometimes it would let me force quit all applications. It may simply be due to the fact I have only 1 GiB of RAM and I disable all swap files. I know that in 64 bit mode it uses up more memory than the 32 bit mode - but when that doesn't happen 64 bit is faster.

That is why my next upgrade has opted for 4 GBs of RAM - I could update this old system but I'm kinda ready for something faster.

I'll just give this one to my mom - I set her up with an older 754 3000+ computer with Linux (first Debian then Ubuntu) which is great for me because on average 5 minutes once a month is about all the time needed to spend on it for troubleshooting. Since it's her first computer ever .... well lets just say she doesn't even know what Windows looks like because I didn't set it up that way and I sure as heck don't want the headache.

Edited: 04/26/2009 at 09:46 PM by whitemateriax
 06/08/2009 01:55 PM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

Well dunno if this helps but P2X2 550BE Callisto was released this week if u looking for that dual core

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
 12/28/2010 03:18 AM

Author Icon
Susancai
Lurker

<CONTENT REMOVED - SPAM>

Edited: 02/24/2011 at 01:50 PM by AMD Processors Moderator
 12/28/2010 04:09 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: whitemateriax

This computer uses:

Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit

Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit

Current specs include

|| AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+

|| ASUS A8N5X ACPI BIOS Revision 0902

|| 2x512MB DDR333 (dual channel mode)

|| 7300 GT

939 dual core chips are expensive and hard to find. Besides I don't want to to update an older system. Here is the list...

All right, we'll see what we can do to help.

1. new chip

(leaning more towards a 2 core chip - the idea is to get one of those cheap cpus and clock it over 3 Ghz+)

[I have a zalman copper fan but open to suggestions for fanless cooling solutions]

2. new motherboard
(major overclocking, performance, and stability)

3. new memory
(4 GBs)

4. new power supply
(going to put the old one in another system)

Linux is what I use 90% of the time. I want my new system to be able to handle multi-tasking like a hot knife through butter. Looking for suggestions from other Linux users who have taken the path to multi-core already. From upgrade to upgrade the time frame is usually a solid 5 years. I'd like to do it right the first time. Thank you in advance.

I have a fairly similar situation to yours. I use Linux exclusively and had an old Socket 939 system (albeit one with one of the early dual-core chips) that died on me not that long ago. I normally upgrade about every five years, and this machine happened to die on me right about that time. I wanted more reliability and multi-tasking performance as well, and I managed to make the jump from a couple of cores to a lot of cores easily. A few thoughts:

1. If you want a lot of multi-tasking ability, look at six-core CPUs. They will multitask MUCH better than dual-core CPUs and are not all that expensive. You can get Phenom II X6s for under $200. The clock speeds of six-core CPUs are also not all that much different from dual-core CPUs, so you don't have to sacrifice much if anything in single-threaded performance to get much better multithreaded performance. It's a lot better today with regards to multicore CPUs being affordable and usable compared to the Socket 939 days.

2. Linux works very well with multicore CPUs and the upgrade path from a single-core CPU with any reasonably-modern distribution is simply to upgrade the hardware and boot up the computer. Every distribution I've run into in the last few years has enabled SMP operation by default, so you don't even need to select a SMP kernel and reboot after the initial boot like you used to have to 4-5 years ago. Windows XP will almost certainly need to be reinstalled because changing the motherboard with a much newer one usually causes it to barf over the large number of driver changes at one time.

3. Reliability/stability and overclocking do not usually go together well, especially if you want to run your system for five years. I'd strongly suggest keeping things at stock. However, many newer chips run at well over 3 GHz at stock, with several being closer to 4 GHz in some situations.

4. You probably want to get a new hard drive since hard drives have gotten a lot faster since the mid-2000s and this will make your computer feel much faster and more responsive. Also, a 5-year-old HDD probably doesn't have a huge amount of life left in it and an HDD failure is something that ranges from a pain in the butt (if you have backups) to a catastrophe (if you don't have backups.)

01/14/2011 11:46 AM

Author Icon
etathome4
Lurker

mr white max I have a asus a8nsli socket 939 deluxe
on the cover of the box it shows amd athlon X2 can I up grade they are
two processors amd fx 2 64
anybody etathom4
email etathome @ msn.com
answer?

need to know about socket939 amd processors
 02/11/2011 03:08 PM

Author Icon
bintangkecil
Lurker

I have a lot of game collection from any genre. I like to collect all of that game. Now, i can make a good game rental and that make money. I start to make my own business in game rental when i was young. http://www.jihoy.com/ free internet listings
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information