Increase font size
Topic Title: LinuxMint 7 and an AMD Sempron
Topic Summary: OS won't load well
Created On: 06/01/2009 05:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/01/2009 05:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AndyP79

Hi All,
I am having a problem trying to get the new LinuxMint 7, Gloria, to load in a usable manner on my new Compaq Presario CQ60, w/AMD Sempron. I am trying to eliminate why it is acting all funny.
I can load it, and sometimes I get a day or two, sometimes a few minutes. The screen will get jumpy, scratchy, or start looking like it is falling apart, then completely freeze the whole computer.
Someone said that the Sempron processor is a 64bit one, and that might have something to do with it.
I am not the greatest when it goes to figuring this stuff out, I am just now starting to move beyond end user, so please be easy on me.
Thanks,
Andy
 06/02/2009 08:57 PM

Author Icon

Nothing to do with the cpu. Perhaps a graphics driver issue.

Reading here, it seems this similar laptop is not very compatible:
http://www.linlap.com/wiki/hp-compaq+presario+cq50z
 07/07/2009 12:35 AM

Author Icon
HippyOnABeachInMexico

At boot menu add xdriver=radeonHD to get it to work better. if not sure ask in LinuxMint forums about method to do this at livecd or installed, xorg.conf should show driver "radeonHD" and modes "1280x1024" should be empty / removed the "1280x1024" .

Also make sure the xf86 radeonHD driver is installed or available for loading in their cd / dvd version. If not cheat by using xdriver=vesa res=1024x768 and install to hd and add the radeonHD xf86 driver when you can.

You can also try xdriver=radeon or xdriver=flgrx , check spelling for correct use. radeonhd does not exist only radeonHD caps versus small = big difference.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information